Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby gift ideas?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2008 at 7:51 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 537 Total Views

My Brother and his wife are expecting a baby around Christmas.  I could really use some creative and inexpensive gift ideas.  This baby will be their 6th child!  Yup....6th!  My brother is a cop, his wife is a SAHM who homeschools the other 5.  They also try to be very organic.  Any ideas??  Thanks in advance!

boymommy.gif image by Jamie91141autism-3.gif image by Jamie91141all20MAD20blinkie.gif image by Jamie91141
Momof2princes1.gif image by Jamie911413799.gif image by Jamie91141tatandpierced.gif image by Jamie91141
believeinmagica1.gif image by Jamie91141treehugger.gif image by Jamie91141dance-1.gif image by Jamie91141

by on Aug. 27, 2008 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Qivarys
by on Aug. 27, 2008 at 7:55 PM

My Aunt found a pattern for a stuffed animal dog and I still have the one she made me when I was 2 years old...she also made one for my son when he was born...but he prefers my old one, it's already broken in LOL

Quoting jamie91141:

My Brother and his wife are expecting a baby around Christmas.  I could really use some creative and inexpensive gift ideas.  This is baby will be their 6th child!  Yup....6th!  My brother is a cop, his wife is a SAHM who homeschools the other 5.  They also try to be very organic.  Any ideas??  Thanks in advance!

TAG_ur_it
by on Aug. 27, 2008 at 8:47 PM

well if they are planning to use cloth diapers, i would make them some.  there are several really good patterns available on line.  my sister makes them.  once she gets it all cut out it takes about 20 minutes to sew.  and she is a beginner. she literally used her machine for the first time in june.   also, on martha stewart they had a guy on there making sock animals.  i would check out her website and take a look. they were so silly looking and cute. but super easy to make. 

iluvcallalilies
by on Aug. 27, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Personalized Baby Blanket

Baby Book

Piggy Bank (for the child)... my sister painted banks for the girls with their names on them at a Paint Your Own Pottery Place

Baby's own Teddy Bear

(The things that each child wants/has for themselves)

You are Invited to Our Group: Christian Celebrations

croppin100
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM

How about a fleece baby blanket. I take two pieces of different colors. The go around the outside and cut slits about an inch apart. Then tie the two togther with fleece strips cut from another color. I have even made baby pillows out of patterened material almost a travel size. My boys have carried theirs since birth,.

CROPPIN

Taviesmommy
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 2:11 PM

I like to make hooded towels. They are so much warmer than the little ones they make for babies and you can choose the color you want. You can personalize it with ribbon, an applicaque or embroidery.  I think the last one I made cost about $7.

Here is a link:

http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/hooded-towels.asp

~Kandi

momof3changos
by on Sep. 6, 2008 at 12:44 PM

My suggestion is not only something for the baby, but for the soon to be mother of 6! Wow!! I know I received a couple of gifts for myself at my third child's baby shower and that was very nice. Maybe make her some kind of at home spa treatments (sugar scrub, mask, feet lotions, etc...) Help her relax (the little bit that she can) before she adds another one to take care of! As, for the baby...I love making baby blankets for all my expecting relatives/friends. (Most of all they love receiving something so personal and handmade for their child) It usually only costs me between $15-$20 depending on the material I want to use. They are pretty easy to make too. I use one print material, one solid material, bating to go in between and silk edging.

OOoh, wait, I just got an idea! Since the baby will be born around Christmas time, how about making him/her a stocking?? Maybe personalize it by putting the baby's name on it. Then they could get one of those cute "baby in a stocking" pictures too!!

Good luck and I'm sure they will LOVE whatever you make!

auroragold
by on Sep. 6, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Here is a different take on things

As parents of 5 children, they probably don't "NEED" or want more "things" in their home LOL.   Darling baby won't know that you didn't give him/her something at all.  So here are some alternative thoughts:

Casseroles or meals that can be frozen.  You could organize family and friends to each make something.  No doubt they'd enjoy a precooked meal that simply has to be heated up!  It'll make for a less stressful family environment (if that's possible with 5 kids, christmastime and homeschooling).

The "pamper me" basket (see the other thread listed here).  I have always made them for baby showers and they've been much appreciated. I've stocked them with nipple cream (for nursing moms), hand sanitizer, soft music CD's, thank you cards, book of stamps, organic tea, honey straws, etc.  Mom has never been happier to get things to make her life easier.

Baby #6 isn't likely to have  baby book LOL. But you could start one for him/her. Not just give the blank book but start collecting photos of mom while she's expecting, brothers and sisters as they look now - maybe even a family tree.

When I was expecting I found "grandparents books".  They were designed so that the grandparents filled in details about THEIR lives (and those of their child - the baby's mom or dad).  I thought they were a fantastic idea. We now have the grandmothers' life stories in their OWN words, written down by them.

A battery charger with rechargeable batteries. Baby will appreciate it when his/her toy doesn't have to go for days without working because there are no batteries in the house!

A firesafe - the suitcase type.  We bought one for our DD for her first birthday (sounds crazy I know) and it's where we keep her hospital wrist bands, footprints, first tooth, etc.  She'll always have them...

So there are some different ideas to consider

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN