Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you making your own Halloween costumes? What will you be?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 932 Total Views

draculaEvery year we do a family group costume theme. This year I am torn between Mary Poppins characters, Guitar Hero characters (a modest version), or just doing an easy disco theme. What are you doing? How are you going to put together your costumes?

by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimashelly
by on Sep. 3, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Devin wants to be a bat! He did not say "BATMAN", he said "bat".  So yesterday we went to Walmart to see if there would be one of those $2.44 patterns and what types of table fold fabrics (the cheap discounted kind) might be available. 
What I found were NO bat patterns but I found some interesting tectured black fabric, almost like a pleather type that actually looked like an animal skin... (I think bats are actually furry creatures... to some extent) but I am pretty sure I can make a cape style set of wings with the hoodie like hat and ears, then attach to the neck of the cape/wings... I dont  think the fabric will require any lining, the fabric has a great weight in itself so I am thinking it will flow well when it is on him. I will attach cuff like inserts inside the wings toward the front to keep the wings on his arms instead of flying behind him like a cape... we also found some black stretchy bootcut knit legging type pants in the childrens department for $3.50 and a long sleeved black knit shirt for the same in that department.  I had to get double fold bias tape to use around neck/hoodie edge and tie at neck and some red satin for the inside of the ears (found on remnant sale table).  So, what'ya think?  Any additional suggestions or ideas here would be greatly considered and appreciated Ü

bat
Kimberly

justgrape723
by on Sep. 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I make my sona costume every year...this year he is going as Mr. Potato head......

If I am up to it (having surgery middle of this month) then I will be going as pebbles....I am going to see if DH will go as Bam Bam

jessicamarie22
by on Sep. 4, 2008 at 6:36 AM

this year we have decided the kids would be pebbles and bam bam! my mom and i are supposed to go this wkend and get the fabric! im excited its gonna be so cute! this is my first yr of making their costumes!yipee i just hope they turn out ok!

Tesa37659
by on Sep. 4, 2008 at 7:10 AM

Hello,

I dont know about  this year yet but two years ago we did a really neat one.  My son was a bag of "GROSS-ERIES"!  We used a huge gift bag covered it with brown paper and went from there.  We used different food and changed the names just a little to make them sound gross like tick tacks we colored them brown, Curdled Cheese instead of cottage cheese you get the idea.  We entered him in three contest that year and won 1st in each!  If  anyones interested in more details let me know.  Tesa

babykist
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 1:01 PM

This is a Bat costume I saw on Martha Stewart. You use a black umbrella that you can get at walmart for under $2!! I can't get it to paste on here but it is titled "Umbrella Bats".

Quoting kimashelly:

Devin wants to be a bat! He did not say "BATMAN", he said "bat".  So yesterday we went to Walmart to see if there would be one of those $2.44 patterns and what types of table fold fabrics (the cheap discounted kind) might be available. 
What I found were NO bat patterns but I found some interesting tectured black fabric, almost like a pleather type that actually looked like an animal skin... (I think bats are actually furry creatures... to some extent) but I am pretty sure I can make a cape style set of wings with the hoodie like hat and ears, then attach to the neck of the cape/wings... I dont  think the fabric will require any lining, the fabric has a great weight in itself so I am thinking it will flow well when it is on him. I will attach cuff like inserts inside the wings toward the front to keep the wings on his arms instead of flying behind him like a cape... we also found some black stretchy bootcut knit legging type pants in the childrens department for $3.50 and a long sleeved black knit shirt for the same in that department.  I had to get double fold bias tape to use around neck/hoodie edge and tie at neck and some red satin for the inside of the ears (found on remnant sale table).  So, what'ya think?  Any additional suggestions or ideas here would be greatly considered and appreciated Ü

bat
Kimberly

Qivarys
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM

That is so cool! I'm still waiting to find out what my friend's kids want to be so that I can make the costumes for them (I need projects to keep me busy...pregnant SAHM) Oh, does anyone have ideas for how to make a Tigger costume? I was thinking just some orange sweatpants/shirt and black marker for the body...but idk it's my son's 1st Halloween

Quoting babykist:

This is a Bat costume I saw on Martha Stewart. You use a black umbrella that you can get at walmart for under $2!! I can't get it to paste on here but it is titled "Umbrella Bats".

Quoting kimashelly:

bat
Kimberly

AmberGeesey
by on Sep. 8, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Well, I believe I am going to be  witch (I have a great big green feathered hat that I atached black tule to and glued on spiders.  My son is going to be the Max Monster (his name is Max).  I'm going to try to find a solid hooded sweatsuit his size and then sew on a tail, eyeballs, and colored patches.  I'll post a pic when I have it done.

babykist
by on Sep. 8, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I can't wait to see these pictures. Your hat sounds so very creative! All of these ideas are great.

Quoting AmberGeesey:

Well, I believe I am going to be  witch (I have a great big green feathered hat that I atached black tule to and glued on spiders.  My son is going to be the Max Monster (his name is Max).  I'm going to try to find a solid hooded sweatsuit his size and then sew on a tail, eyeballs, and colored patches.  I'll post a pic when I have it done.

rdmcfann
by on Sep. 8, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Our family and a friends family are all the Wizard of Oz. My oldest wanted to be Dorothy so I found her costume for $3 used on craigslist and bought the shoes from Target. I have already made her sister's costume (she is going to be the scarecrow) because I was not paying the $30 for an infant size costume. I am going to be the bad witch, my friend is going to be Glenda, and her boys are going to be the Lion and the Tinman. We are trying to talk our husbands into being the monkeys. We also have some other friends who want to get their kids in on the theme so we might have a lollipop kid, the mayor of munchkin land, a munchkin, and not sure what the other little one will be. Since we are stationed up here near Seattle and this area is known as the Emerald City for all the green I thought it would be cute to take the kids pictures and make a Halloween card that says Happy Halloween from the Emerald City.

valliegirl
by on Sep. 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM

We are going as mouthwash, toothpaste, and my 1 year old will be the tooth.  I haven't ironed out all the 'how to' details yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)