Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Halloween treats

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 3:45 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 1102 Total Views

Do you make anything yummy for Halloween treats for your family?  Id love some fresh ides for my kiddos. For the past 2 years, Ive made chocolate lollipops/suckers shaped like witches and pumpinks and such. I also make rice cripsy bars with orange and black m&ms and reses pieces in them. The girls love them, but Id like to make something else too. Any ideas?

by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissa1983
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I have never made anything for any holidays except a homemade apple pie for Christmas! OMG Im awful but growing up my parents never did it for us. I think making suckers and rice crispy treats sounds AWESOME! Honestly I couldnt think of anything else to make other than cookies in halloween shapes....

Melissa (25) SAHM, college student & wife to Jared (27) since Sept 2003

Mommy to Caleb (May 2004), Cody (Dec 2005) & Dana (Dec 2008)

Visit my Custom Crochet Website at: http://www.freewebs.com/melissaricecustomcrochet/

auroragold
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Pumpkin bread
Pumpkin roll

Apple fritters, applebutter, apple ANYTHING

Witch's fingers (a sort of cheesy breadstick)

I know I have more stashed away from our Halloween party last year (I keep the sugar/candy to a minimum though so these are healthy but cute and adorable recipes)

Or the easiest of all?

Just use your cookie cutters on their sandwiches, cheese, etc.  Who can resist a ghost sandwich??

justgrape723
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 5:23 PM

make white choc ghost lolli pops.........pretzal rods dipped in choc rolled in hallowwen jimmies and decorations

auroragold
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 5:27 PM

PUMPKIN SQUARES

• 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon soda
  • 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
  • Filling:
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree (16 ounce can)
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice *

PREPARATION:

Combine oats, flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped pecans, 1/2 teaspoon salt, the baking soda, and the butter; beat until mixture is crumbly. Reserve about 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture and press remaining mixture into a lightly buttered 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.

Prepare filling. Beat filling ingredients until well blended and smooth. Spread filling over the crust; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Return to oven and bake 25 minutes longer. Cool and cut into bars.

Auroragold
divinity80921
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 5:45 PM

When my kiddos were little, I traditionally made "Puppy Chow" for halloween and handed it out at the door as well for those goblins who knew us well enough to accept a homemade treat. (Other kiddos got wrapped candy, but the ones who actually knew us knew also to ask for the Puppy Chow. It was a tradition at our house.)

It is super easy to make and looks rather like, well, Purina Puppy Chow.

michelle994
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 8:17 PM

my friends and I get together with our kids and make colorful popcorn balls, witches fingers cookies, and hot chocolate with halloween peeps in them.  They also like making worm in mud cups, that's pudding with crushed oreo on top and gummy worms sticking out.  And of course carmel apples.

auroragold
by on Sep. 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM

This looks cute. I'll be using it for an enchanted forest fairy party but can easily be for halloween

Chocolate covered cherry mice

http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/r/blcandy25.htm

LauraS2008
by on Sep. 6, 2008 at 10:10 PM

My children and I usually make popcorn balls, candied apples, caramel apples, cookies (halloween shapes and iced) and lollipops.  But anything involving apples or pumpkin (baked pumpkin seeds) would be the best bet.

sburst
by on Sep. 6, 2008 at 11:39 PM

mmm pumpkin rolls are sooo good!

Quoting auroragold:

Pumpkin bread
Pumpkin roll

Apple fritters, applebutter, apple ANYTHING

Witch's fingers (a sort of cheesy breadstick)

I know I have more stashed away from our Halloween party last year (I keep the sugar/candy to a minimum though so these are healthy but cute and adorable recipes)

Or the easiest of all?

Just use your cookie cutters on their sandwiches, cheese, etc.  Who can resist a ghost sandwich??

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Sep. 7, 2008 at 12:39 PM

These are a no bake treat that the your kids can make with little to no supervision.

Haystacks

• Butterscotch chips
  • Chow Mein Noodles
  • (can add a few tbsp of peanutbutter...optional)

Melt chips in the microwave, mix in PB if using, add chow mein noodles, stir until coated.  Drop on to wax paper or parchment paper and let dry until hardened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)