Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(2008) handmade halloween costume ideas... share yours here!!!!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2008 at 10:50 AM
  • 75 Replies
  • 21906 Total Views

I'm sure everyone in the group is full of great ideas for handmade halloween costumes!  I'd really like you all to share any ideas, tutorials, links, photos of handmade halloween costumes you've made or have seen.  I look forward to all of your ideas!!!!

happy halloween and happy crafting!

by on Sep. 14, 2008 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
georgiamommy02
by on Sep. 14, 2008 at 1:05 PM

This year I am making my daughters halloween costume. She is gonna be minnie mouse. I made a red and white tutu to go under the dress to fluff it up and the dress is almost done, I just need to add the sash and I want to add a black felt heart to the front and then in red felt the letters M&M. I ordered some hair clips that are in the shape of minnie ears to go in her hair. My son wants to be a transformer and seeing as how that is too large of a project for me I am going to be buying that costume.

babykist
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM

These were last years that I made. Voldamort, Belatrix, Harry and Harry's owl Hedwig, and Hermione. I made a headband like the scarf for Hermione and they had broomsticks. We widdled all the wands and the kids costumes were mostly fleece.

cierasmommy
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 8:09 PM

last year i made Cieras costume. she was a white tiger cub but everyone thaught she was a zebra so i guess it could go either way....

melissa1983
by on Sep. 16, 2008 at 12:56 PM

I dont really sew so last year I bought different pieces for a pirate and vampire and put them all together. I was crafty in the jewelry my boys wore to make them look more original though.

This year I am using articles of clothing that I already have to make my youngets a farmer :) and Im buying a robe and magician cone hat that I will either puff paint stars on, buy those foam sticky stars from Michaels OR make my own iron on stars to put all over them and my oldest will be Merlin the Magician :)

I had a hard time coming up with a costume that I could make look original while still being warm so the 1st thing that came to mind was a robe! lol Go figure. I know its not the craftiest of ideas but it works lol  

Melissa (25) SAHM, college student & wife to Jared (27) since Sept 2003

Mommy to Caleb (May 2004), Cody (Dec 2005) & Dana (Dec 2008)

Visit my Custom Crochet Website at: http://www.freewebs.com/melissaricecustomcrochet/

kmowell
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM

I've always made my kids costumes. I hate seeing the prices on the costumes in the stores. They charge an outrageous price for really cheap fabric. I have a costume for sell on etsy, the Snow White one that is listed on our group photos. Plus, there is a Harlequin/Clown costume also. My kids are well past the baby stages, so I guess making baby costumes helps me get my baby "fixes".

croppin100
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 7:00 PM

MY OLDEST WANTS TO BE A VAMPIRE THIS YEAR AND THE YOUNGEST IS SPIDERMAN. WE HAVE THE SPIDERMAN FROM LAST YEAR. I HAVE SOME OF THE VAMPIRE STUFF AND THE REST I AM GOING TO GOODWILL FOR! WOO HOO! I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR.

CROPPIN

threeboysmama
by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 8:53 AM

i made these last year for my sons: this one was the great pumpkin! lol. it was a dishtowel for a cape a pumpkin hat and a pair of my halloween socks!! he loved it!!

this one is

piggy

my monkey

the monkey my my helped me out quite a bit with i am not much of a seemstress!! lol. The scarecrow was a hot glue gun project!! :) and the piggy i actually wore when i was my youngest son's age (except for the hat i made that myself!) (my mom made the pink suit for me it was a bunny)

and my personal fav

Optimus prime from transformers! I was so proud of that costume and so was he! This one i did completely by myself! i love halloween!

Join my fun, distracting and original group: Distracted Moms

Kia_LeTourneau
by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 10:09 AM

I made all 3 of these costumes last year for my 2 daughters and my lil cousin. We always take em to my MIL's work (a nursing home) an they have like 6 floors and 2 other wings that all tha kids go in tha lobby an candy from the residents. I guess tha next day everyone kept tellin my MIL if there was a contest they woulda won!

Pebbles (she still had her sweats on tho, tha bone in her hair is my favorite part!!)

Bam Bam

Dino

Tha whole gang!

StanleyGirl
by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 10:25 AM

I've been making my kids costumes for years now but I have to say my favorite home made costume ever was the winner of last years costume contest at the mall a mom put her toddler in a red sweat suit and sewed strings of white yarn to various parts of his body to look like spaghetti and made brown yarn balls like meat balls and attached them also then she put a colunder on his head with strings of white yarn tied to it, it was the cutest thing ever he looked like spaghetti dumped on his head lol very creative, simple and cute.

falling_leavesCreate in me a clean heart, oh God; and renue a right spirit within me.   Psalm 51:10

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Sep. 20, 2008 at 10:32 AM

you guys look awesome!!!!

Quoting babykist:

These were last years that I made. Voldamort, Belatrix, Harry and Harry's owl Hedwig, and Hermione. I made a headband like the scarf for Hermione and they had broomsticks. We widdled all the wands and the kids costumes were mostly fleece.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)