Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Great holiday gifts for adults... please post your handmade holiday gift ideas, links, or tutorials here!!!! (updated)

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay ladies... this thread is for all your awesome holiday gift giving ideas!  This will be your place for one stop holiday "shopping".  Please post your ideas for handmade gifts your family and friends would love... or items that you would love to recieve this holiday season!

Here's one to get you started:

follow the link to get the recipies for these super yummy popcorns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by on Nov. 2, 2008 at 10:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
SMLemos
by on Nov. 12, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Last year for my husband I made a tshirt with my sons footprints all over it and the shirt said "My son walks all over me".  For my sons grandpas I made shirts with his handprints on them that said "Hands Down My Grandpa is the Best" 

I took the easier route and had him do his hand prints and foot prints on cardstock, then scanned them, I then cropped them and printed them out on Iron on transfer paper and ironed it on the shirts.  Because with a 2 year old we would of went through a ton of shirts trying to get it right. 

jess_diva
by on Nov. 16, 2008 at 5:00 PM

I found this recipe for microwave peanut brittle and made some today (using almonds instead of peanuts), it was so easy and is really good. Enjoy!

baking

If you have a microwave and you'd like to whip up some peanut brittle in a hurry, this recipe will let you do it in a little less than 10 minutes (plus cooling time, of course).
NB. Times are based on a 700W microwave oven so please adjust your cooking time to suit your equipment!

Ingredients:

1.5 cups of raw, shelled Virginia peanuts (leave the skins on)
1 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
Method:

Mix the peanuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt together in a microwave-safe casserole dish until well mixed
Cook in a microwave on high for 4 minutes; open and stir the mix well; then cook on high for another 4 minutes
Open, stir in the butter and vanilla, then microwave on high for a further 2 minutes
Finally, remove from the microwave, open the dish, add the baking soda and stir quickly until the mix is light and foamy
Immediately pour the mixture onto a lightly-greased baking sheet, spreading it out thinly.
Allow the mix to cool - then break it into small pieces and store in an airtight container.
Tip: The trick to making thin, tender peanut brittle is to keep the baking sheet(s) you use warm. I recommend heating them in a conventional oven at around 200o F (about 95o C) before you spread the peanut brittle mix. This should allow you to spread the mix 1cm to 2cm thick without it setting up.

wendyms
by on Nov. 16, 2008 at 5:29 PM

If you love the handprint poem you will like the footprint one also. When my son was two, he is now seven, his daddy was a Marine Corps drill instructor. I had a copy of his daddy's official and very serious picture taken in uniform with the campaign cover on. I placed that in an 8x10 frame and in the bottom opposite corner I had a picture of my son standing in his boots with his daddy's cover on. (He loved to play with it when daddy came home.) In between I placed the following poem:

Walk a Little Slower Daddy

"Walk a Little slower, Daddy." said a little child so small.
I'm following in your footsteps and I don't want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast, sometimes they're hard to see;
So walk a little slower Daddy, for you are leading me.

Someday when I'm all grown up, You're what I want to be.
Then I will have a little child who'll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right, and know that I was true;
So, walk a little slower, Daddy, for I must follow you!!

- Author Unknown

amp83
by on Nov. 17, 2008 at 10:44 AM

I thougth this was a great idea for a Christmas gift. I think I will be doing this with my daughter's picture for her grandma's.

http://www.bhg.com/holidays/christmas/crafts/how-to-make-paper-photo-ornaments/

What You Need
  • Patterned, colored, and white card stock
  • Photos
  • Floral wire
  • Glitter
  • Crafts glue

How to Make It
  1. For the tag front, cut a circle from patterned card stock in the size you want. For the tag back, cut a second circle from colored card stock.
  2. Cut out a shape with angled sides for an ornament top.
  3. Cut a 4-inch length of floral wire and form it into a spiral shape. Glue the wire spiral to the back of the ornament top shape.
  4. Glue the ornament top to the back of the patterned card stock circle.
  5. Glue the colored card stock circle to the upper back of the patterned card stock circle.
  6. Cut a photo into a circle smaller than the card stock circle. Glue it in place on the front of the card stock circle. Apply glue to the ornament top and the photo edges.
  7. Sprinkle the glue with glitter, tap off the excess, and let dry. Optional: Using a computer, print out a holiday greeting or name.
  8. With the text centered, cut out a banner shape.
  9. Cut a slit on each side of the photo large enough to accommodate the banner. Slip the banner into the slits and glue in place; let dry.
  10. Glue tinsel garland around the edge of the photo on the backside, let dry, then glue in place on the front of the card stock circle.
amp83
by on Nov. 17, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Ice Candle

Ice Candle

In this classic kitchen craft, kids (with a parent's help) can combine ice and hot wax to form a cool, lacy-looking candle. Set it in the center of your holiday table or give it as special gift that'll melt Grandma's heart.

CRAFT MATERIALS:

Scissors
Cylindrical cardboard container (salt or oatmeal)
Paper towel
Cooking oil
Knife
White tapered candle
Large tin can
1 pound of paraffin wax
Large saucepan
Wooden skewer
Crayon pieces
Large spoon
Crushed ice
Bowl

Time needed: About 2 to 3 Hours

Step 1 - Ice Candle1. Have your child prepare a mold by cutting off the top of the cardboard container. Use a paper towel to coat the inside with cooking oil. With a knife, trim the bottom from the taper so the taper is the same height as the mold. 

Step 2 - Ice Candle2. Meanwhile, fill the tin can with the wax. Then place it in a saucepan filled with 2 inches of water and set the pan over low heat. Use a wooden skewer to stir the melting wax. Mix in crayon pieces to get your desired candle color. 

3. Pour 1/2 inch of wax into the prepared mold and immediately stick the taper into the center, wick end up. Hold the taper in place for a minute or two while the wax sets. 

Step 4 - Ice Candle4. Spoon 2 inches of crushed ice around the taper, then cover the ice almost completely with melted wax. Add more ice, then more wax, alternating until the mold is filled. 

Step 5 - Ice Candle5. Set the mold in a bowl for about an hour (it will leak water), letting the wax harden completely, then peel off the cardboard.

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11893 

coffeemomaz
by on Nov. 17, 2008 at 11:41 AM

When my kids were little I traced their hand prints on some thick felt and cut them out for ornaments.  I let them decorate them with their names, fabric paint, glitter, sequins, etc. and put a ribbon hanger on little finger to hang on the tree.  I gave these to pretty much everyone on my list and they loved them!  My kids are all big now, but it is fun to see thier tiny handprints on everyone's tree when we go visiting during the holidays. 

My niece copied the idea one year, but turned the hands upside down and made them into reindeer with pipe cleaner antlers.  They are adorable!

mistyray
by on Nov. 17, 2008 at 9:56 PM

I did this for my mom 2 years ago. I got all her grand kids and took a photo of them all together and had it put on a shirt and above the photo I put MY GRANDKIDS............. and on the back put WALK ALL OVER ME!!!!!! and had there feet prints all over the back. she loved it.

Quoting SMLemos:

Last year for my husband I made a tshirt with my sons footprints all over it and the shirt said "My son walks all over me".  For my sons grandpas I made shirts with his handprints on them that said "Hands Down My Grandpa is the Best" 

I took the easier route and had him do his hand prints and foot prints on cardstock, then scanned them, I then cropped them and printed them out on Iron on transfer paper and ironed it on the shirts.  Because with a 2 year old we would of went through a ton of shirts trying to get it right. 

wendyms
by on Nov. 18, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Quoting amp83:

Oh my goodness! I love it. I got a little teary eyed picturing your creation with that poem. I think I will do something like that! Thanks for the idea! Is there any way you can post a picture of your creation?
Quoting wendyms:

If you love the handprint poem you will like the footprint one also. When my son was two, he is now seven, his daddy was a Marine Corps drill instructor. I had a copy of his daddy's official and very serious picture taken in uniform with the campaign cover on. I placed that in an 8x10 frame and in the bottom opposite corner I had a picture of my son standing in his boots with his daddy's cover on. (He loved to play with it when daddy came home.) In between I placed the following poem:

Walk a Little Slower Daddy

"Walk a Little slower, Daddy." said a little child so small.
I'm following in your footsteps and I don't want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast, sometimes they're hard to see;
So walk a little slower Daddy, for you are leading me.

Someday when I'm all grown up, You're what I want to be.
Then I will have a little child who'll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right, and know that I was true;
So, walk a little slower, Daddy, for I must follow you!!

- Author Unknown

My husband was taken back by it also. I took it out of the frame and scanned it so you could see it better. (Joshua actually didn't have his boots on in this pic. Guess that was another pic!) It was very simply done and inexpensive, but very well received. The background looks brown, but it is actually a pretty gold cardstock.

FireyMamacita
by on Nov. 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Yea, this is what I am doing. I am going to put them in tins like what the OP has her popcorn in... I am also going to do the fudge and I found somewhere Buckeye Bars... I think that was Kraft Foods as well. Anything money expensive wise is going to the kiddo this year.

Quoting daiseysmom:

Kraft foods had some yummy looking truffles in their magezine this month! I think I'm going to make them and give them out in cute boxes from the craft store.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/bakers-one-bowl-chocolate-53520.aspx

krazy4my4
by on Nov. 18, 2008 at 8:43 PM

I'm making cook books for family this year.  I am collecting recipes from my dh and my Grandmothers, our mothers, as well as my own.  I am going to take an 8x10 scrapbook, put the recipes in it and ad memories that go with the recipes.  Like my grandmothers salad that we have every single holiday.  I'll put a picture of her next to it too.  Then my kids favorite dishes I'll write something about that.  I think it should turn out well.  I'm giving it to our parents, siblings, and Grandmothers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN