Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Great holiday gifts for adults... please post your handmade holiday gift ideas, links, or tutorials here!!!! (updated)

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay ladies... this thread is for all your awesome holiday gift giving ideas!  This will be your place for one stop holiday "shopping".  Please post your ideas for handmade gifts your family and friends would love... or items that you would love to recieve this holiday season!

Here's one to get you started:

follow the link to get the recipies for these super yummy popcorns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by on Nov. 2, 2008 at 10:17 AM
Replies (51-60):
fuzzheaddez
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I've made the warming packs using feed corn from the feed store.  It warms up and smells like warmed popcorn without popping!  I only wish there was a way to make them washable.  I made the mistake of making them without a cover so my big lovely large one I just had to throw away because something in the freezer ruined it.  I kept some in the freezer for booboo bags and some out so I could heat them up and have heat packs.

Quoting jennipher23:

i made one of those but i used hole pinto beans they warm up well also i love it

Quoting AngelaRosenthal:

What did you put in the heat therapy packs

Quoting bethybaby:

Photo Coasters

Heat Theraphy Packs

godotherightthi
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:32 PM

I didn't make coasters, but I made some wood ornaments and used modge podge and scrapbook paper to make them cutsie.  The method looks similar to the coasters, and the modge podge worked fine with regular photo paper.

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:47 PM
carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:49 PM
carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:52 PM
mothercherry
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 12:12 AM

I glued the little amish kids on the inside of the fence.  My sil loves amish stuff and bird houses.   These where two of my christmas projects, and now looking though these posts ladies I see have a couple more projects to do, thanks a lot darn it, lol.

NeeB
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM

When my children were very young, they made wreaths out of puzzle pieces that were painted green and glued onto an embroidary hoop.  They also made recipe holders out of a scrap piece of 2x4 wood and a clothespin. That one is really simple; cut the piece of wood into 3  4-inch squares, take one of your squares and cut it diagonally so that it is 2 triangles.  glue a triangle to a square so that the point of the triangle is sticking straight up and then glue the clothespin to the triangle. You can make 2 from one 12-inch piece of wood. I then had the kids paint them and decorate them for their recipients. Last year, I gave gift card holders shaped like mittens.  I made them out of felt and this year they are recycled as tree ornaments.  This year, I'm making bread in a jar and apple butter, and wrapped around the baskets will be crocheted scarfs.

Life is as exciting as you want to make it!

spinning globegraduatefamily carturning into globetyping

justgrape723
by on Dec. 29, 2008 at 8:57 AM

I have been making corn sacks for what seems like forever....lol When storing them in the freezer store them in a Ziploc freezer bag. Not only does it help to protect them from spills but also from picking up food odors that are in the freezer. Everyone in our house has at least one corn sack. I like the corn sack because it (the corn )  is bigger and tends to stay warmer longer than rice. Great for older adults that way you do not have to worry about them laying on an electric heating pad (which you should not do, and you do not have to worry about frayed wires with these.) My SIL gave up her corn sack to her older dog who has arthritis, I have since made her a new sack....lol. BTW the dog may have lost the corn sack to her cat...hee hee hee her pets aren't spoiled.....lol When my son was younger and I took him for walks on clod days I would heat up a corn sack sit him on it and he would be warm for the whole walk. We have older kids and they like to sleep in the tent when we go camping. So about 1 hour before bedtime they heat one up and toss it in their sleeping bags it helps keep them warm for almost the whole night and takes the chill and dampness out of the sleeping bag. I also used one in my sons crib, I had it warm up the spot where I was going to lay him down and when I put him on that spot you could see him wiggle and snuggle right down on the warm spot. He is almost 6 and has the same corn sack since almost day one.....I make 2 sizes not counting the boo boo buddie I make one that is about 7X14 and one that is about 4X17. Each come with a washable pillow case. I sell them and some of my customers buy an extra pillow case to have on hand for when one gets dirty or to change with the seasons. So I make pillow cases for all the major holidays.

I also make smaller ones about 4X4 or so, for my son his friends and cousins for boo boo buddies We keep them in the freezer and when he gets a bump or a boo boo he uses his boo boo buddie, I have found kids like these better than an ice pack or ice wrapped in a towel because it is not as cold as ice and it doesn't melt on them and get them or what they are sitting or laying on all wet. it is also nice for fevers, sunburns, cooking burns etc.

Quoting fuzzheaddez:

I've made the warming packs using feed corn from the feed store.  It warms up and smells like warmed popcorn without popping!  I only wish there was a way to make them washable.  I made the mistake of making them without a cover so my big lovely large one I just had to throw away because something in the freezer ruined it.  I kept some in the freezer for booboo bags and some out so I could heat them up and have heat packs.

Quoting jennipher23:

i made one of those but i used hole pinto beans they warm up well also i love it

Quoting AngelaRosenthal:

What did you put in the heat therapy packs

Quoting bethybaby:

Photo Coasters

Heat Theraphy Packs

mommabunnyof4
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Know anyone that wears glasses? My sister made my mom eye glass holders for christmas and they look just like the ones my mom was going to buy for $10 each...My sister made them for just a couple dollars! I don't have pictures, but they are easy to make so I though I'd share... Save empty cans from your canned vegetables, etc... Wash and dry thoroughly of course.

You'll Need:
Empty Can
Faux sheep skin (fabric store, it's cheap)
Patterned scrapbook paper (I suggest good stuff, but not card stock, card stock doesn't bend well)
Acid free glue
Matching embellishments (to match the paper, like ribbon, brads, 3D stickers, etc...)

To Make:
Line the inside of the can with the faux sheep skin (obviously you'll need to measure and cut to size), glue it down with acid free glue (Scotch brand works well). Cover outside of can with patterned paper and embellishments and ta-da....you have an eye glass holder that anyone can sit on ther desk or night stand, etc... If I get a chance, I'll snag one of my moms and take a picture of it. And don't feel limited to covering it with one kind of paper. Mix and match, have fun with it! Fabric paint with a pointy tip for writing works well to write names, etc...on the paper too for added personalization!

Heartfullx4
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Just a quick update on the photo coasters so no one else has to go through the frustrations that I just went through tonight! LOL! I made some of these for Christmas presents and they turned out beautiful. Today I was making some for a birthday present and I just wanted to cry! I used the Kodak machine @ Walmart which I rarely NEVER do because it cost more money to print the pics instantly off. So when I got home and started spraying the Krylon clear gloss, clear finish over my pics on the coasters & all of the pics began to run! AHHH!! Except for one picture which was NOT printed on Kodak paper it was a previous picture that I had already printed @ Christmas time when I did my last sets of coasters. So it was a different type of paper. LESSON LEARNED!! I just wanted to let anyone else know this so if you were planning on making any of these coasters I would advise against using KODAK paper for your pictures. Just a little FYI!! Other than that all the rest of mine turned out wonderful and everyone couldn't have thanked me enough for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)