Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

creative ways to make new crayons from old crayons! great gift!

Posted by   + Show Post

Since there has been tons of intrest in this project I thought I would condense the info into one post and keep it sticky through the holidays.

Making Toddler Friendly Crayons

Written by Allison of Funky Little Monkey.

I am a rather creative person. I love anything and everything that has to do with crafts and even before I had kids I dreamed of being creative with them. Well my son is now 16 months old and I figure the time is right to get him into the arts and craft mood. But everything seems to small for his little hands to hold.

I bought a box of used crayons at a consignment sale last week and decided that I was going to make some chunky crayons for my son to color with (since he is just 16.5 months old). I used only regular Crayola crayons since I figured that not all crayons color alike - so they must not melt alike either (I'll do another batch of just Rose Art Crayons next).

I then took a mini-muffin pan and coated it with a dab of vegetable oil in each space (just enough to show that's it's there but not enough to leave it dripping in oil).

I then took the labels off all of the crayons and broke them into fours. You can either pick the labels off one by one - or you can soak them in cold water to get the labels wet and they will slide right off - your choice (I picked them off one by one just to be difficult.)

I choose to do crayons in like colors but you can do high contrasting - your choice. I separated them out to each mini-muffin space - about three to four crayons per space:

I put them in an oven that had been preheated to 300 degrees and cooked them for 8 minutes (just enough to where they were liquid and melted and you couldn't see the actual crayon shape anymore:

From there I let them sit on the counter for 15 minutes until the congealed again. The I put them in the freezer for another 15 - 30 minutes. It was there in the freezer that they started breaking away from the pan - so when I took them out they just came right out of the pan:

And that's it .... for $3 (which is what it cost me to buy the huge box of used crayons - which I still have more of)... I made some cool toddler friendly crayons for my son:

This tutorial was written by Allison of Funky Little Monkey.

You can also use shaped muffin and cookie pans to get different shaped crayons.  DON'T TRY TO MELT THEM IN A SHEET PAN AND CUT WITH COOKIE CUTTERS, IT DOES NOT WORK!Wilton® 6 Cavity Silicone Mold-TreeWilton® 24 Cavity Mini Silicone Pan-Tree

Wilton® 24 Cavity Silicone Mold-Gingerbread Boy

These are just a few examples...

Happy crafting ladies!

Handmade designer hospital gowns and gifts for baby!

by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 8:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
mjnmkmommy
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Thank you sharing! I love the ideas

magikzephyrr
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 9:01 PM

This is such a great idea!! I am going to do this for my 3yr old SD's stocking stuffers!! :)

sgr123
by on Nov. 8, 2008 at 10:08 AM

I am going to make these for all of the kids in my family. Great idea!!!

Breast Cancer Ribbon            

Save Lids, Save Lives

LucindasMama
by on Nov. 8, 2008 at 1:40 PM

What a GREAT idea - thanks so much for sharing.  I will definitely try this one. 

Just have one question on the vegetable oil - can Pam (or the like) be used instead?

Quoting carrie_grace:

I then took a mini-muffin pan and coated it with a dab of vegetable oil in each space (just enough to show that's it's there but not enough to leave it dripping in oil).

momma_sunshine
by on Nov. 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM

I totally did this, and I found that if you leave them in there for less than 10 minutes but mre than 6 they turn out okay.  And some fun color combos are:

the dark purples and blues with the sliver and gold crayons for a night sky

the brown crayons and the tan ones *just stay away from the maroon and red brown colors* for sand

Red orange, brick red, dandelion, and olive green make cool fall colors.

I did a few others but you get the idea

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Nov. 8, 2008 at 10:20 PM

awesome tips thanks!

Quoting momma_sunshine:

I totally did this, and I found that if you leave them in there for less than 10 minutes but mre than 6 they turn out okay.  And some fun color combos are:

the dark purples and blues with the sliver and gold crayons for a night sky

the brown crayons and the tan ones *just stay away from the maroon and red brown colors* for sand

Red orange, brick red, dandelion, and olive green make cool fall colors.

I did a few others but you get the idea

mylittleabby
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Thanks "carrie_grace" for making this topic a sticky.  I got some many great ideas from you and other Moms when I posted my questions in this group about making crayons a few weeks ago.  I do have a question for you or maybe someone else would know.  I made the crayons today just like the instructions you posted on your reply to my question.  I followed it exactly and most of the crayons came out perfect.  But all of them have a slight crack down the back of them which isn't
 all that bad but it is noticable but a couple of them seem to have the crack go all the way around to the front.  Then of course when my husband picked one of those up to look at, it broke in half.  Any ideas why they cracked?  I melted them at 300 degrees and then let them sit for 15 minutes to cool and then put them in the freezer for another 15 minutes before I took them out.  Thanks for any help you or anyone else can give me :)

mumma2maddie
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Ok, so this weekend I went to the local Family Dollar store and bought 4 big boxes of crayons for $1 each and have been making heart shaped toddler crayons.  What a great idea, thank you for sharing!

mumma2maddie
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 8:41 PM

I found that if you make them too thin they crack!

merechele
by on Nov. 12, 2008 at 5:02 AM

I have seen in some craft store a little machine from Crayola that lets you turn your old crayons in to new ones and you just put in the pieces and it melts them and molds them.  I gave one to my friend who teaches K-3rd grade autistic kids. 

I also read that someone found some icetrays with cool shapes at the dollar store.  If you want to use something like that my suggestion would be to purchase a cheap stainless bowl and put it over a pan filled with water on the stove and melt your crayons.  Your basically making a double boiler so not expose the crayons to direct heat where you could burn the wax.  Then you just pour it into the molds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN