Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

creative ways to make new crayons from old crayons! great gift!

Posted by   + Show Post

Since there has been tons of intrest in this project I thought I would condense the info into one post and keep it sticky through the holidays.

Making Toddler Friendly Crayons

Written by Allison of Funky Little Monkey.

I am a rather creative person. I love anything and everything that has to do with crafts and even before I had kids I dreamed of being creative with them. Well my son is now 16 months old and I figure the time is right to get him into the arts and craft mood. But everything seems to small for his little hands to hold.

I bought a box of used crayons at a consignment sale last week and decided that I was going to make some chunky crayons for my son to color with (since he is just 16.5 months old). I used only regular Crayola crayons since I figured that not all crayons color alike - so they must not melt alike either (I'll do another batch of just Rose Art Crayons next).

I then took a mini-muffin pan and coated it with a dab of vegetable oil in each space (just enough to show that's it's there but not enough to leave it dripping in oil).

I then took the labels off all of the crayons and broke them into fours. You can either pick the labels off one by one - or you can soak them in cold water to get the labels wet and they will slide right off - your choice (I picked them off one by one just to be difficult.)

I choose to do crayons in like colors but you can do high contrasting - your choice. I separated them out to each mini-muffin space - about three to four crayons per space:

I put them in an oven that had been preheated to 300 degrees and cooked them for 8 minutes (just enough to where they were liquid and melted and you couldn't see the actual crayon shape anymore:

From there I let them sit on the counter for 15 minutes until the congealed again. The I put them in the freezer for another 15 - 30 minutes. It was there in the freezer that they started breaking away from the pan - so when I took them out they just came right out of the pan:

And that's it .... for $3 (which is what it cost me to buy the huge box of used crayons - which I still have more of)... I made some cool toddler friendly crayons for my son:

This tutorial was written by Allison of Funky Little Monkey.

You can also use shaped muffin and cookie pans to get different shaped crayons.  DON'T TRY TO MELT THEM IN A SHEET PAN AND CUT WITH COOKIE CUTTERS, IT DOES NOT WORK!Wilton® 6 Cavity Silicone Mold-TreeWilton® 24 Cavity Mini Silicone Pan-Tree

Wilton® 24 Cavity Silicone Mold-Gingerbread Boy

These are just a few examples...

Happy crafting ladies!

Handmade designer hospital gowns and gifts for baby!

by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 8:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
KristynS
by on Nov. 24, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Don't keep them in the freezer for too long.  I left some in the freezer in a silicone pan for about 45 minutes yesterday and when I popped them out of the pan, part of the pan came with the crayons!  I had to pick silicone out of a few of the crayons.  It worked much better when I kept them in the freezer for about 15 minutes only.  I also tried to pop out another batch before they were completely cool and they cracked and broke so I had to re bake them.  In my experience, it wouldn't be a good idea to freeze them for longer (or not long enough lol).  Good luck!!

Quoting hotfudgesunday:

I made a bunch this weekend with a silicone pan. It works great!!! However, I did find it a bit more difficult to get the new crayons out of the mold than it was in the metal muffin tin. I may try keeping them in the freezer longer next time to see if that helps.

Quoting laurenday5:

I love this! Do you think it would be ok to use a silicone pan?

hotfudgesunday
by on Nov. 24, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Thanks for the tip!!! Maybe I'll try putting a bit more oil in the mold. I was pretty stingy with the oil.

Also... I used REALLY cheap crayons....The color & some of the wax (??) seemed to separate...so I ended up w/ layers of colors instead of a solid color. I have made them w/ RoseArt & did not have this problem. Live & learn!!!! :)

Quoting KristynS:

Don't keep them in the freezer for too long.  I left some in the freezer in a silicone pan for about 45 minutes yesterday and when I popped them out of the pan, part of the pan came with the crayons!  I had to pick silicone out of a few of the crayons.  It worked much better when I kept them in the freezer for about 15 minutes only.  I also tried to pop out another batch before they were completely cool and they cracked and broke so I had to re bake them.  In my experience, it wouldn't be a good idea to freeze them for longer (or not long enough lol).  Good luck!!

Quoting hotfudgesunday:

I made a bunch this weekend with a silicone pan. It works great!!! However, I did find it a bit more difficult to get the new crayons out of the mold than it was in the metal muffin tin. I may try keeping them in the freezer longer next time to see if that helps.

Quoting laurenday5:

I love this! Do you think it would be ok to use a silicone pan?

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

busmommy
by on Nov. 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM

How heavy are they?  I was thinking you could put a little rod in them (the tree or star shaped ones) when they're pliable to make a hole for stringing some yarn (or similar type string) through.  Instant ornaments that smell good!  (I love the smell of crayons...I know, I'm weird)

Jody Hill "Your Avon Lady"

Independent Sales Rep

www.youravon.com/jodyhill Free shipping special online!

tuckersmomi
by on Nov. 29, 2008 at 4:32 PM

I just made these with the silicone snowflake tray from walmart and they came soooo perfect!!!  I love them!

Angiebaby boy

metalnmyveins
by on Nov. 30, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Here are my first set...I used cheap crayons from Michaels...

jaycee1124
by on Dec. 1, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Adding this to my list of projects for when I'm bored!

Officially a 2008 NaNoWriMo Dropout!!!

AmomwithPCOS
by on Dec. 6, 2008 at 3:02 PM

How do you do this with the ice molds? Since you cant bake the ice mold?

Thanks again Jeannette

Quoting mnwintercritter:

Right now our dollar store has ice molds in both tree and santa shapes. I find a lot of ice and jello molds at thrift and dollar stores that are fun to use.

Mommy to Genevieve and one more on the way.

girl giving flowerexpecting baby 

Check out Princess Stinky Butts place for all your Little Princess's needs.
http://princessstinkybuttsboutique.blogspot.com/

LadyLuck13
by on Dec. 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM

I love this idea!

teatime24-7
by on Dec. 11, 2008 at 12:11 AM

I have two Rubbermaid boxes filled with crayons I have had for yrs. I think I'll try this and make them up for my 3 yr. old granddaughter.

hms1223
by on Dec. 11, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Great minds think alike!  I just picked up a couple of the free jello mold trays that have a variety of christmasy shapes and a couple of boxes of crayons.  I'm going to try to lay a small loop of yarn at the top of each one before putting them in the freezer to see if I can get a hanger to hold.  Instant ornaments!

I will try to post pics when I am done if it all works out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)