Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

creative ways to make new crayons from old crayons! great gift!

Posted by   + Show Post

Since there has been tons of intrest in this project I thought I would condense the info into one post and keep it sticky through the holidays.

Making Toddler Friendly Crayons

Written by Allison of Funky Little Monkey.

I am a rather creative person. I love anything and everything that has to do with crafts and even before I had kids I dreamed of being creative with them. Well my son is now 16 months old and I figure the time is right to get him into the arts and craft mood. But everything seems to small for his little hands to hold.

I bought a box of used crayons at a consignment sale last week and decided that I was going to make some chunky crayons for my son to color with (since he is just 16.5 months old). I used only regular Crayola crayons since I figured that not all crayons color alike - so they must not melt alike either (I'll do another batch of just Rose Art Crayons next).

I then took a mini-muffin pan and coated it with a dab of vegetable oil in each space (just enough to show that's it's there but not enough to leave it dripping in oil).

I then took the labels off all of the crayons and broke them into fours. You can either pick the labels off one by one - or you can soak them in cold water to get the labels wet and they will slide right off - your choice (I picked them off one by one just to be difficult.)

I choose to do crayons in like colors but you can do high contrasting - your choice. I separated them out to each mini-muffin space - about three to four crayons per space:

I put them in an oven that had been preheated to 300 degrees and cooked them for 8 minutes (just enough to where they were liquid and melted and you couldn't see the actual crayon shape anymore:

From there I let them sit on the counter for 15 minutes until the congealed again. The I put them in the freezer for another 15 - 30 minutes. It was there in the freezer that they started breaking away from the pan - so when I took them out they just came right out of the pan:

And that's it .... for $3 (which is what it cost me to buy the huge box of used crayons - which I still have more of)... I made some cool toddler friendly crayons for my son:

This tutorial was written by Allison of Funky Little Monkey.

You can also use shaped muffin and cookie pans to get different shaped crayons.  DON'T TRY TO MELT THEM IN A SHEET PAN AND CUT WITH COOKIE CUTTERS, IT DOES NOT WORK!Wilton® 6 Cavity Silicone Mold-TreeWilton® 24 Cavity Mini Silicone Pan-Tree

Wilton® 24 Cavity Silicone Mold-Gingerbread Boy

These are just a few examples...

Happy crafting ladies!

Handmade designer hospital gowns and gifts for baby!

by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 8:38 PM
Replies (51-60):
my_ladybug
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I love this idea,thanks!

artC1s
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 1:23 PM

I made some of these with old broken crayons, they turned out so well!

MyLijahBoy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:30 AM

I dont have any pics but I did this.  I buy crayons for my son (3 yrs old) all the time.  Like when school starts and walmart had their crayons for $0.17 for a 24 box.  I bought his so many I had an over load of crayons.  So I decided to would break up some of the ones he had been using and make these.  It came out SO CUTE.  I have a 1 year old nephew that I am giving them to for Christmas.  I bought a huge coloring book at the DOLLAR TREE and it will make a very cute present for him!  THANKS!

godotherightthi
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:13 PM

I have a quick tip for those wanting to use molds that you can't put in the oven.  Put a thick paper cup in each muffin tin and put the crayons in there.  Check your oven often to make sure you are using the right kind of cup, the thin ones will scorch and may burn.

Once the crayons are melted you can pour them into whatever mold you would like.  Of course, since you are pouring the melted wax, use the same or similar colors as they will mix instead of swirl together making funky colors.

Another tip, before I read about the paper cup trick, I used a cheap squeeze ketchup bottle from the dollar store to suck up the melted crayons then squeezed it into the molds.  I used candy molds and they turned out cute.  The colors dry really quickly and don't mix so you can use the same container for multiple colors.

happy2bsahm
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 10:06 PM

I saw this the other day and was so excited about using up old crayons that no one ever uses. I went out and bought the Christmas tree silicone mold and it worked great! My three year old helped break crayons and pick colors to melt together. Now that I know it works so well and so easily, I'm going to get all the kids to help and these will be part of the gifts for my 11 nieces and nephews. I'll also send them doodle pads to to draw in. My sister has the crayon melting machine and it is neat, too, but this is cheaper and just as much fun. Plus you can make more at one time. :)

mikazuki
by on Dec. 22, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Tip:

Stock up on crayons after the back-to-school shopping deals. Typically stores like Target will mark down crayons down to as little as ten cents a box. Last year I bought crayons on clearance from Target for five cents a box and spent $10 on 200 boxes. Most I gave away to the elementary school but kept 30 boxes for myself to give the kids over the year and saved some for this year.

Maria.cscc
by on Dec. 23, 2008 at 4:22 AM

Quoting metalnmyveins:

Here are my first set...I used cheap crayons from Michaels...

These are real pretty :)

GingerNeeSmith
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM

What a great way to use all those broken crayons I find!

FelipesMom
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 9:44 PM

OH. MY. GOD. This is the coolest thing I have ever seen in my entire life!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETICIA
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
geintal integritycosleepingGay Marriage

Mrs.Bolin
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 10:26 PM

This is the coolest, im gonna make some for my daughter, niece and nephew for Christmas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN