Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

creative ways to make new crayons from old crayons! great gift!

Posted by   + Show Post

Since there has been tons of intrest in this project I thought I would condense the info into one post and keep it sticky through the holidays.

Making Toddler Friendly Crayons

Written by Allison of Funky Little Monkey.

I am a rather creative person. I love anything and everything that has to do with crafts and even before I had kids I dreamed of being creative with them. Well my son is now 16 months old and I figure the time is right to get him into the arts and craft mood. But everything seems to small for his little hands to hold.

I bought a box of used crayons at a consignment sale last week and decided that I was going to make some chunky crayons for my son to color with (since he is just 16.5 months old). I used only regular Crayola crayons since I figured that not all crayons color alike - so they must not melt alike either (I'll do another batch of just Rose Art Crayons next).

I then took a mini-muffin pan and coated it with a dab of vegetable oil in each space (just enough to show that's it's there but not enough to leave it dripping in oil).

I then took the labels off all of the crayons and broke them into fours. You can either pick the labels off one by one - or you can soak them in cold water to get the labels wet and they will slide right off - your choice (I picked them off one by one just to be difficult.)

I choose to do crayons in like colors but you can do high contrasting - your choice. I separated them out to each mini-muffin space - about three to four crayons per space:

I put them in an oven that had been preheated to 300 degrees and cooked them for 8 minutes (just enough to where they were liquid and melted and you couldn't see the actual crayon shape anymore:

From there I let them sit on the counter for 15 minutes until the congealed again. The I put them in the freezer for another 15 - 30 minutes. It was there in the freezer that they started breaking away from the pan - so when I took them out they just came right out of the pan:

And that's it .... for $3 (which is what it cost me to buy the huge box of used crayons - which I still have more of)... I made some cool toddler friendly crayons for my son:

This tutorial was written by Allison of Funky Little Monkey.

You can also use shaped muffin and cookie pans to get different shaped crayons.  DON'T TRY TO MELT THEM IN A SHEET PAN AND CUT WITH COOKIE CUTTERS, IT DOES NOT WORK!Wilton® 6 Cavity Silicone Mold-TreeWilton® 24 Cavity Mini Silicone Pan-Tree

Wilton® 24 Cavity Silicone Mold-Gingerbread Boy

These are just a few examples...

Happy crafting ladies!

Handmade designer hospital gowns and gifts for baby!

by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 8:38 PM
Replies (61-65):
Bizmom
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 1:29 AM

These are so much fun to make, we like doing hearts, we use the regular crayola crayons, some don't melt the way it should because it's not all wax. but crayola has the best. and rose art is ok to do as well. but we love to do hearts, we mix the color's and put them into a rubber like shaped ice cube tray, and once melted we pour the melted wax in and let harden in fridge, and then wrap them with colored cello paper and tying it off with ribbon of different colors and a tag, and give as gifts to my kids class. they still to this day ask if we will be making them again. funny how they remember. but love the idea oa uisng all different kind of trays out there for making crayons for kids. love it. we even make and sell them at our yard sales. this craft project is great!!! on my list for sure for every monthly craft thing to do.

Bizmom

wave

Jodie269
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 2:40 PM

How talented You are.  Absolutely beautifull & reasonable. You are very creative.good

wkv2069
by on Aug. 1, 2010 at 5:55 PM

BUMP!

mytimbersmom
by on Oct. 17, 2010 at 2:31 PM

great idea!  try making some w/ complementary colors such as blues, turquoises, and light greens (if you have that BIG box of crayons! lol!)  it will introduce the little artist to blending w/o his/ her even knowing it!

i have a great recipe for bathtub crayons which you can make 'fat' to fit their little hands. moms love them almost as much as the kids! (i'll have to look up the recipe on a food group that i'm a member of. i have an entire group dedicated to 'kid friendly' ideas ~ from crafts to food to make w/ the little ones. it's not 'my' website and nothing is for sale ~ this is my first post to your group. if it's not against the rules, go to grouprecipes.com (it's a group like this but dedicated to foodies, which, i'm sure, many of you are ~ it's free and nothing is for sale ~ just lots of sharing and friendship and recipes. once you go there,look for the group 'just for kids'. it has tons of good stuff on it!  if you want to look me up there, my name is 'debntim'. <3

deb

wink6877
by on Oct. 31, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Brilliant....love the stars. Can't wait to try!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)