Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Turkey Day Question

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 11:28 PM
  • 26 Replies
  • 1068 Total Views

Hi to everyone,

I thought I'd post a question:  What are every ones plans for Thanksgiving?  Do you enjoy the day at your house, do the cooking?  Or are you just as glad or happy to go to someone else's house or out to a restaurant?  Do you enjoy the company or are you glad when they leave?    Just thought this would be fun to do.

by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bekdcan
by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 11:33 PM

we go to familys house and i'm very glad i dont think i could handel everyone at my house plus we have avery small appartment and a larg family haha so my mom and aunts take turns hosting it, but i do like to cook for things like that and see what i can come up with for a neat dessert

Qivarys
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 12:54 AM

Well...hmm LOL Originally I planned on having our close friends over for Thanksgiving dinner and her husband would cook the turkey, she'd make the desserts and I'd make the rest of the food...but now my MIL keeps bugging the hell out of me about when we're having dinner and all this stuff and we don't even know what day we're having the dinner. DH might have to work a 12hr shift that day and we don't know for sure if my friend has to work that day...I want to just do the meal the day after. I just don't know for sure...all I know is I don't want MIL here. My friends don't feel comfortable around her and neither does DH. And I'm hormonal and will definately tell her off this year. I tried to be nice last year but I refuse to cook for her ever again because she was so ungrateful last year, she didn't even offer to help me clean up after dinner...and I was 32wks prego and had made the entire dinner myself. Blah!

Hope you have a much better holiday than I'm anticipating for myself! LOL

sweeties38
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 1:07 AM

i thought i was the only one with mil proplems  lol,,we will propally have thanksgiving dinner here,which will be awkward since hubby isnt speaking to his mom,and he doesnt care for dil either, so should be fun lol.il get stuck doing everything and will propally be to tired to eat, gosh so much to look forward to ll.

AzaleaCheerMom
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 1:10 AM

We go to my mil's house. My sil and I help her out alot with the cooking and cleaning. And of course there are the sales papers to fuss over while the men moan and complain over their bellies and football!

ThaMCE
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 3:01 AM
I used to go to my friend's house. He'd always welcome me and after he graduated from Culinary School, he would cook. Then I moved to NY to be with my fiance. Him and his family had always gone out. I HATED it. I had the GRAYEST, most disgusting turkey I'd ever seen, and it felt so impersonal. No Thanksgiving smells, and people serving us. I couldn't do it anymore. I insisted that I cook from then on. I cooked for 2 more Thanksgivings, and even though I make a lot of food, it seems to never go to waste. Now I moved back to California, and my mom and SD are going to be alone. We have a 5 member family, a fireplace and a Wii...I say to them and anyone who wants to come, to COME ON OVER! We have a small oven, a small table and little seating, but I still plan on making an awesome meal for everyone. Last year, I made almost everything organically, and it was so satisfying. And NO one gets to help, that's how I like it. I want my guests to sit back, relax, and wait until it's time for me to serve! :)
KittyGram
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 11:32 AM

This will be the third year that I will have dinner at my house.  I do the majority of the cooking - the turkey, potatoes, gravy, 2 kinds of stuffing, home made cranberry sauce - then the family brings the veggies and desserts.  It will be me, my daughter, her fiance, her three kids, my exMIL (she's a very dear friend!), her roommate, a friend of mine that has no family nearby, and my daughter's fiance's mom and dad.  So... That makes 8 adults and 3 kids.  It's a tight fit in my little place, but I absolutely love it!!!  For many years, I drove 7 hours for Thanksgiving weekend, to where I grew up.  My sisters, mom, and I, plus our own families, would all get together, and because I travelled as far as I did, I was usually the one bringing the pop or the paper products.  When I did bring a dish, I felt like I still wasn't able to contribute my best.  So I love doing it at my own home.  I love doing the cooking! 

For the past couple years Christmas was at my house, too.  Up till last year, it was more open to friends that didn't want to travel "back home".  Last year, it was mostly family.  This year it will probably be the same crowd as last year.   

StanleyGirl
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 11:46 AM

I love to stay home and cook I'm hoping to have my brothers and sil come over.  Then hubby and the kids usually go to his brothers and have pie with his family after dinner I will go for a short time but I really hate it so I never stay long it's just down the street so I just walk home when I've had my fill lol

Create in me a clean heart, oh God; and renue a right spirit within me.   Psalm 51:10

Nanaleena
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 3:22 PM

After years of having the family and friends and doing all the cooking, I'm going on strick this Thanksgiving.  DH is taking me out to dinner where ever I want to go.  I'm thinking prime rib!  Really looking forward to no cooking, no mess, and desert later with family.  I will be making pies and that's all.

Bradensmommy719
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 3:25 PM

this year is special because hunnies mom bought us tickets to visit her in cali. usually i spend the day with my best friend and her parents. growing up it wasnt a special holiday. the year my mom was born it was turkey day and growing up she got a lot of bs for it. so it wasnt ever anything big in our house. this year is my mom's 50th bday and she will be spending it with her best friend.

artC1s
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 3:28 PM

I am thinking about staying home with my dd and dh this year. We usually go to my dad's which is close by but I want something different this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)