Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Turkey Day Question

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi to everyone,

I thought I'd post a question:  What are every ones plans for Thanksgiving?  Do you enjoy the day at your house, do the cooking?  Or are you just as glad or happy to go to someone else's house or out to a restaurant?  Do you enjoy the company or are you glad when they leave?    Just thought this would be fun to do.

by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 11:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
BECKI143
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 3:36 PM

This year my family (80 miles away from my home) is having the feast at lunch time and DH's familia (12 miles from my home) is having the dinner. This is what I am making so far....

My family

• yams
  • cranberry chutney
  • rolls
  • corn bread
  • my chilie cheese cornbread
  • apple pie
  • multiberry pie
  • turkey cookies (maybe)
  • Thanksgiving themed cake

DH's familia

• turkey tamales (about 150)
  • mole sauce
  • pumpkin betty
  • Thanksgiving themed cake
  • my twice baked potatoes
  • Mexican wedding cookies
  • flan (3)
  • fruit ambrosia

My family = every one is bringing something. It is usually mainly my mom and I that cook for the holidays. I am 1 of 9 siblings.

DH's familia = some of them live far away and dont want to help cook, so MIL, 2 SIL's and I do the cooking. Dh is 1 of 10 siblings.

honeyj2
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I'm cooking this year. Last year we went out because I was SOOO pregnant I didn't have the energy to do it. My hubby insisted that I make him a turkey since he didn't have it last year. I'm going to be glad when its over though.

bethybaby
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 4:11 PM

We will be going to my-In-Laws for Thanksgiving. It will be nice. MIL will make dinner and I will help, then the next day we will go shopping and that night MY FIL will Then tell me how it is not fair that we don't come there for Christmas. And that we should switch up next year spend thanksgiving at my parents and Christmas there. BUT before we had our son he told us not to come for christmas because the roads could be bad  and they are less likely to be bad for Thanksgiving. Now I know everyone is probably saying it would only be fair but we don't travel to visit my parents they live Next Door. I think that Santa Should only come to the childs house for Christmas!!! That is always How I Had it. So Hopefully we won't get into too much of a Heated Arguement. My FIL is one of those that "WHAT I SAY GOES" and "I'M THE MAN YOU DO AS I SAY" so we will see I am trying to keep an open mind!

PattyinNV
by on Nov. 7, 2008 at 10:44 PM

wow, holy moly!!  i wanna come to your house!!   hehe

pumpkin pie

brittni_1312
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM

i go to my moms house well really my grandpas and then my dads house my parents are not together anymore but anyways now that im married i have to go to my dh's moms house too so im busy and it sucks. but me and my 2 best friends make a dinner for our family together and have a night with just us and our kids to relax we do it either a couple of days before or after thanksgiving its really fun

smsprice
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 10:25 PM

The Holidays are different for us now. When I was married my husband & I would have BIG Thanksgivings at our house, I would cook for about 25 people. Now that Im divorced its just me & this year I get my kids (I have to alternate years) but I have a wonderful boyfriend now so Him, Me & my kids are going to my best friends & her & I are cooking. Im excited I cant wait

tabby1979
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 7:46 AM

This will be the 3rd year and probley last that I have it at my home for my family...we are moving in April...so we'll be too far for my family to visit easily. I make the turkey and my brother helps or takes over the rest when he comes over (he went to culinary school). I usually have my parents, my brother, and sister....my 2 kids....and hubby if he's not underway...occasionaly a friend shows up too.  It's nice holiday with lots of food....good thing its at the end of the month when my fridge empties out...lol.  Me and my mom go black friday shopping the next day...i usually get a tree then at Lowe's on sale...at least since I moved here. Then my family helps me decorate the tree  :-)

1wildchild
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM

This year we are having Thanksgiving at my house so yes I will be doing the cooking and cleaning and everything. Previous years we had it at either one of my grandmothers houses but since my great grandmother just recently passed away we will be having Thanksgiving at my house. We usually have dinner around 3:00 so thats what time we'll have it this year.

Loveleelambs
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM

My husband and I just purchansed our first home. SO... this year I am doing thanksgiving. My husband is in the airforce and we are not stationed near his family. All of his family is comming and my grandma is flying down. I am most excited to cook for my grandma and have her in my home this year because she is the one who did all our holidays as a child. When she moved to a retirement home I inherited the family dinning room set ( it is a antinque table and chairs that seats 10 that is in mint condition) I love that she will be celebtaring with me  and my children at the same table she celebrated with her children!

Mom2SavRynShai
by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I usually do the cooking at my house and have everyone over. This year MIL is trying to take over because I'll 39.5 weeks prego-I'm having my c-section the day after Thanksgiving (yea, no shopping for me this year). I'm adamant though, Thanksgiving has and always will be my thing so I'm not giving in. I love having family here and since we live 4 ours apart I'm always sad to see whoever came leave.

Pregnancy ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)