Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with homemade gift for hubby

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2008 at 9:47 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1491 Total Views

Ok. I am pretty good at sewing (love my sewing machine!), I do beading (seed bead ornaments and jewelry), make dream catchers, and I crochet (but I just started).

Well, this Christmas we have a little more money than we usually have (because I have been putting money aside all year, we actually have $400 saved up) but I  1) want to put most of that towards the kids and 2) still want to make stuff for people.

So, my boys (2 of them) are each getting a dream catcher. My daughter is getting a crocheted shawl. I am making my mom and my mother in law each a prayer shawl and giving them each a beaded ornament. My brother in law is getting bath salts and potpourri (he loves that kind of stuff). But I am completely lost on what to make for my husband!!! Anyone have any ideas?

by on Nov. 15, 2008 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
busymom213
by on Nov. 15, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Well, I don't know if you are into scrapbooking or anything like that, but I made my husband a personalized file box one year for Christmas.  You can go to Hobby Lobby or any office supply store and get a wooden file box, the stand-up (open top) kind. Then get some regular scrapbooking stickers from there or Wal-Mart of somewhere and you can decorate it in a number of ways.  You can make it look real professional with all black  on it, maybe with his initials.  Or, you could make it look real family oriented with pictures of you and your kids on it - adding some cute embelishments that there again you can just buy at Wal-Mart.  I hope this helps.  If I think of anything else, I will let you know.  Try googlind "homemade Christmas gifts for Men" and see what you get too.  I hope this helps!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Courtney

michiganmom116
by on Nov. 15, 2008 at 10:53 AM

I make a LOT of my gifts.  Here are some ideas for hubby that you could make:  flannel pj pants with matching robe;  fleece scarf, mitts; flannel shirts; flannel or silk boxers; applique a favorite team logo onto a sweatshirt .

I cross stitched hubby's gift this year, a Detroit Redwings logo onto the back shoulder area of a heavy flannel shirt

amytoo
by on Nov. 15, 2008 at 8:43 PM

I'm photoshopping a couple of pictures and then get some shirts made with them. My sister inlaw is comeing from peru and I'm going to see if she can bring recent pictures for me to do also. Amy

michiganmom116
by on Nov. 17, 2008 at 11:42 AM

I used what's called waste canvas.  It comes in different counts, like cross stitch cloth, but when you are done stitching you can pull the threads out. 

I sent a pic of the logo  to an online friend that has PC Stitch program on her computer and she created the pattern and sent it back to me in an email file attachment.  I have a trial version of PC Stitch (free from their website) and I used that to open and print the file attachment.

here are some pics that I took ....sort of like a documentation of a work in progress.  We have a monthly challenge in my Stitching Divas! and Cross Stitch groups and I did this as a challenge for last month.

First, baste the waste canvas on securely.

Stitching.....

When you get an area done, trim to about 3/4 inches around the pattern and you can start pulling out some threads....

.....stitch more, trim and pull out threads.....(I was impatient to finish this and didn't want to wait to get an idea of what it would look like)...

The finished product!

Quoting DeclansMom300:

I do a ton of cross stitch.  Can I ask how you were able to cross stitch the logo onto the sweat-shirt?  I have so many things I would love to cross stitch but have only used the cross stitch material.

momof3changos
by on Nov. 17, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Good for you! I'm making stuff for my husband too! So many times they get forgotten because we are so busy making for everyone else. Here are a few things I've made for my husband...

Since you know how to sew....pajama/lounging pants. This year since I have 2 boys as well, I am making them and DH matching Christmas boxers!

I painted my husband a coffee mug last year and at the bottom of it I painted "I (heart) You!" so everytime he finishes, he get's a reminder! Also, along those lines, I've painted a big platter for BBQing and made him an apron to go with it! (these are the kind of things that you paint and bake so the paint stays!)

Hope you find good ideas. I will definitely keep checking this post to see everyone's suggestions!

MNMom247365
by on Nov. 17, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Make a no-sew quilt with his favorite teams on it...

RagJunkie
by on Nov. 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I used what's called waste canvas.  It comes in different counts, like cross stitch cloth, but when you are done stitching you can pull the threads out. 

I sent a pic of the logo  to an online friend that has PC Stitch program on her computer and she created the pattern and sent it back to me in an email file attachment.  I have a trial version of PC Stitch (free from their website) and I used that to open and print the file attachment.

here are some pics that I took ....sort of like a documentation of a work in progress.  We have a monthly challenge in my Stitching Divas! and Cross Stitch groups and I did this as a challenge for last month.

First, baste the waste canvas on securely.

Stitching.....

When you get an area done, trim to about 3/4 inches around the pattern and you can start pulling out some threads....

.....stitch more, trim and pull out threads.....(I was impatient to finish this and didn't want to wait to get an idea of what it would look like)...

The finished product!

Quoting DeclansMom300:

I do a ton of cross stitch.  Can I ask how you were able to cross stitch the logo onto the sweat-shirt?  I have so many things I would love to cross stitch but have only used the cross stitch material.

Man I always wondered what that stuff was for....I cant wait to buy it next time im at the store!!!

momof3inTN
by on Nov. 18, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Ok, got it figured out. I am crocheting him an afghan. He is in Alabama for a couple of weeks at a time and he could use a good afghan for his bed.

My husband is difficult to shop/make stuff for. He is not into sports (any of them, he doesn't like footbal, basketball, baseball, etc... he will occassionally watch soccer or hockey but only if he is desperate and there is nothing else on), he is particular about books, he is just picky. So, he'll either like it or hate. Either way, I really do not care anymore. I am so tired of him saying he is not hard to shop/make for when he is wanting me to make him a fleece lined, fancy, warm for the winter jacket. (I told him to shove off and make it himself, LOL, I can sew but I am not putting myself through THAT much stress, LOL).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)