Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heart shaped soaps... great for valentine's day! Add your valintine craft instructions, tutorials, and ideas here!

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 2248 Total Views
Heart-Shaped Soap

Martha Stewart Living

Stamped soaps, inspired by candy conversation hearts, are great gifts for friends. Put in cellophane bags tied with tags; adorn with glitter.

Tools and Materials
Nonstick 9-inch square pan
Heart-shape cookie cutter
Glass measuring cup
Glycerin soap
Bench scraper
Soap colorant or food coloring
Spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol
Cutting board
Needlenose pliers
1/8-inch metal letter stamps
Masking tape

Heart-Shaped Soap How-To
We used a 2-inch cookie cutter (1 inch high) and 2 1/2 pounds of glycerin soap-sold at crafts stores-to make 16 hearts.

1. Depending on your equipment, yields may vary. To determine how much glycerin you'll need, fill pan with water to 1/4 inch below height of cookie cutter; pour water into measuring cup. Record amount; discard water.

2. Cut soap into small pieces with bench scraper; fill measuring cup. Microwave on medium heat until melted; stir. Add soap and heat until you've reached the water amount. Add colorant; stir. Pour liquid into pan. Spray with alcohol to eliminate bubbles.

3. Let harden at room temperature, 2 hours. Freeze 10 minutes.

4. Turn upside down onto cutting board. Create soaps with cookie cutter; pull cutter out with pliers if it sticks. Tape stamps together to form words, and imprint on soap, applying light, even pressure.

First Published: February 2006

by on Dec. 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MNMom247365
by on Dec. 27, 2008 at 8:29 PM

So cute! What an awesome and fun idea... You could even do this with this with oval soaps and put words like faith, love, hope, peace and dream in them. Oooo the ideas are flowing now! Thank you!

mikazuki
by on Dec. 27, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Another holiday this project is good for - Christmas (make snowman shaped soaps or even gingerbread ones) as well as Easter and St. Patrick's Day. On the last day of school my daughter and I are going to give her music teacher a gift basket with soaps in the shape of musical notes!

LucindasMama
by on Dec. 28, 2008 at 7:43 PM

I want to make these, but want to avoid the cookie cutters....I was thinking that maybe I could use a silicone baking mold instead.  Has anyone successfully used one for soap making?

THANKS!

godotherightthi
by on Jan. 1, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Another idea is to do the popular crayon melts from the Christmas ideas, use red crayons only and pour them into heart shaped candy molds.  You could put a few in a baggie and give them out to your kids friends on Valentine's day or for their classroom parties!

sgr123
by on Jan. 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Quoting godotherightthi:

Another idea is to do the popular crayon melts from the Christmas ideas, use red crayons only and pour them into heart shaped candy molds.  You could put a few in a baggie and give them out to your kids friends on Valentine's day or for their classroom parties!

Red, white and pink would be great to use.

atheist-4.gif picture by sgr330 

shellibelli
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Even purple.

efeyer25
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:46 AM

Yes, you can use molds, that's usually how I make soaps! If you go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby (or other craft store) they have molds made for soaps on the soap/candle making isle. Or you can just use any mold that you can find! I think it's alot easier using molds! lol

Quoting LucindasMama:

I want to make these, but want to avoid the cookie cutters....I was thinking that maybe I could use a silicone baking mold instead.  Has anyone successfully used one for soap making?

THANKS!

NorahSethsMommy
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:59 AM

I love it. We might make these for the grandparents.

Owner- Potter's House School Group http://www.cafemom.com/group/73112

Admin- Deals & Steals http://www.cafemom.com/group/2730

Admin- Soul Journey http://www.cafemom.com/group/11125

LucindasMama
by on Jan. 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM

OOh.  Yay.  Thank you. 

Another question - I've been looking for the metal stamps for the conversation heart lettering, but am not having much luck finding larger letters (most seem to be for jewelery stamping!) and they are pretty expensive.  Anyone know where to find some that are inexpensive and large enough for the soaps?  I know I can skip this, but I <3 conversation hearts and think they will be too cute as guest soap favors (from a mold!!) for my daughter's first birthday party.  :)

Quoting efeyer25:

Yes, you can use molds, that's usually how I make soaps! If you go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby (or other craft store) they have molds made for soaps on the soap/candle making isle. Or you can just use any mold that you can find! I think it's alot easier using molds! lol

jennipher23
by on Jan. 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM

try a scrapbooking stor like archivers i know they have tons of stmaps or even look at walmart or target or something iam sure they have stamps hope this he;ps

Quoting LucindasMama:

OOh.  Yay.  Thank you. 

Another question - I've been looking for the metal stamps for the conversation heart lettering, but am not having much luck finding larger letters (most seem to be for jewelery stamping!) and they are pretty expensive.  Anyone know where to find some that are inexpensive and large enough for the soaps?  I know I can skip this, but I <3 conversation hearts and think they will be too cute as guest soap favors (from a mold!!) for my daughter's first birthday party.  :)

Quoting efeyer25:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN