Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know how to make a carseat cover? PIOG

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2008 at 10:18 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 1035 Total Views

I have a pretty new bright pink carseat from my DD, but I'm having a DS next month, so I was hoping I could make a cover in another color. Is this possible? Any tips??

by on Dec. 29, 2008 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaycee1124
by on Dec. 29, 2008 at 10:20 AM

I've never made one but I have seen patterns online. I know quite a few etsy shops sell them. (etsy.com)

Just be sure that it is a kind that goes over the entire carseat like a shower cap and doesn't go under the straps at all - that style is very unsafe.

kristydillon
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 12:49 AM

One of our carseat got badly stained, I tore the cover apart at seams and used as pattern for a new one., for openings for belt I used buttonhole function. I made it out of quilted gingham first, didn't hold up, 2nd time I used upholstry material, so far so good.

gypsysmiles
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 12:52 AM

I hate to be a downer, but it really isn't safe. I would recommend against it, as would most car seat technicians.

The material you use won't be flame retardant (the stuff in stores is not to the degree as the professional stuff) and in the case of equipment failure (like some part of the car seat breaks) it completely voids your warranty.

You can call the car seat company and ask them for one, they're inexpensive. I know it defeats the purpose of asking about it here... but hey, I figured I would share what I know.

Join me at Retail Mamas! 

mommabeaver25
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 1:23 AM

first check to see if you seat has been recalled. I bought a Graco car seat last year for DD and it was pick but I wanted to reuse it this year with DS but didn't want pink. First I used the old cover as a pattern and made a new one and just sliped it over the old one. Looked great! But when I got to the hospital the looked up my car seat and say the cover had been recalled so I went online and got a new one free and I got to pick out which one I wanted and I got one for a boy then I just made a new cover for the top sun cover thingy.

MamaOfB
by on Dec. 31, 2008 at 9:10 PM

If you are set on making your own, so that the padding and everything would still be safe, I would make a slip cover/duvet cover type of thing instead of a whole new car seat cover.

It probably would be safest to order a new one from the car seat company.

NMartin
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I read somewhere that if you alter the seat in anyway then it would not be covered under a warranty if something happened to it, I will have to look and see if I can find where I read it at.

But... there are car seat covers on EBay

TinyViolets
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM

When having my daughter I wanted to brighten up my son's car seat and found a great selection at either Babies R US or Burlington Coat Factory.  Sorry I  can't remember which one it was its been so long.  I know I've also seen more of a selection on other baby websites.

cudybug
by on Mar. 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM

it is very unsafe to make a replacement cover or to purchase one that isnt made by the company of your carseat. The padding can be too much and cause the straps to be too loose after being compressed in the force of a crash. Also there isnt falme resistant material. There is a picture on the carseat group on here that has a carseat that was set on fire with the orginal cover and one with a homemade replacement cover. The home made replacment cover was in such horrible shape i couldtn even imagine a child being in it. Also it voids the warrenty on the seat. I would recommend calling the company and purchasing a replacement cover for cheaper then a whole new seat. Also remember that carseats expire every 6 years. I would also recommend checking out the carseat safety groups on cafemom

misst_dwn
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I have to agree with some of the others.  Recovering is just not safe.  The carseats primary goal is to function properly, it's just a bonus that some of the covers are cute.  My recommendation is to call the manufactor and ask for a new cover. Probably going to still be about 30 or so but "safety first"

I do love however that you are looking into reusing the seat instead of rushing out to buy a new one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)