Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher gifts

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM
  • 29 Replies
  • 2963 Total Views

I am a teacher and a poor one at that.  So this is what I made for my fellow collegues and for my daughter's teachers (and myself, this is mine) this year. 

I'm sure you all have seen them, probaby made them yourselves.  They are pens with flowers on the ends.  I thought they were cute and practical so I thought I'd share.  What do ya'll give your kids' teachers?

by on Jan. 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junction216
by on Jan. 14, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Love it! I would have loved to have received that when I was teaching!  My DS is homeschooled and my DD is not in school yet so I have no clue!  But I did make this and it would make a great gift for a teacher:

Click Banner to Visit My Website:

Mrsblitz
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Really cute idea. These would be great for end of the year gifts for my daughters teacher and aide. She will be graduating from preschool this year and going to Kindergarten in the fall. Can you tell me how you made them. I would really like to make them and add them to a couple of other things for a gift.

lizaye
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 11:48 AM

1.  I bought pens from the dollar store, (black pens b/c so many things have to be signed in black ink) and took the caps off and threw the caps away.

2.  I bought Gerber daisies, metal pails, and floral tape from a local craft store.  (You can use any kind of flower, I just like the way Gerber daisies look.)

3.  I bought dried black bean from the grocery store.

4.  I already had a black paint pen, ribbon, and foam stickers at home.

To make the pens: 

5.  I cut the daisies off the bunch leaving about 2 inches of stem. 

6.  I held the flower at the "butt" end of the pen secured it with a little piece of regular tape. 

7.  Then I took the floral tape and again starting at the butt end started wrapping the tape around the pen and stem making sure when I got to the end of them stem to wrap very well so the stem didn't poke you. 

8.  When you get to the ball point end of the pen I wrapped a couple of extra times and then tore the tape.  I put a tiny dab of hot glue to hold the tape securely then stuck it to itself.  And WALAH!  You have a flower pen!

To make the pail:

1.  I first hot glued a ribbon at the bottom circumference of the pail.

2.  I wrote the teacher's name on the pail using a paint pen. 

3.  I used foam stickers to decorate the pail. 

4.  I poured the black beans into the pail and poked the pens in the black beans arranging them nicely (the black bean hold the pens in place.)  Presto!  You're done!

lizaye
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Quoting Junction216:

Love it! I would have loved to have received that when I was teaching!  My DS is homeschooled and my DD is not in school yet so I have no clue!  But I did make this and it would make a great gift for a teacher:

That's really cute.  Where do you find the mail boxes? 

TinyViolets
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I picked up a couple of mailboxes at Target - they are in the $1.00 section.

Wyndi
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 11:51 PM

I used to give the teachers perennial flowersin the spring, that way they can enjoy them for years to come. for Christmas I always gave them fudge. For teachers appreciation day, a gift certificate to bath and body works (they need to pamper themselves at the end of a long day).

http://www.cafemom.com/group/PushMe  come here for your motivational needs

http://www.cafemom.com/group/notsoperfect  so your not a perfect parent, who is? come and join us
http://www.cafemom.com/group/The5Fs Lets let down our hair and have some fun and foolishness.

Mrsblitz
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Quoting lizaye:

1.  I bought pens from the dollar store, (black pens b/c so many things have to be signed in black ink) and took the caps off and threw the caps away.

2.  I bought Gerber daisies, metal pails, and floral tape from a local craft store.  (You can use any kind of flower, I just like the way Gerber daisies look.)

3.  I bought dried black bean from the grocery store.

4.  I already had a black paint pen, ribbon, and foam stickers at home.

To make the pens: 

5.  I cut the daisies off the bunch leaving about 2 inches of stem. 

6.  I held the flower at the "butt" end of the pen secured it with a little piece of regular tape. 

7.  Then I took the floral tape and again starting at the butt end started wrapping the tape around the pen and stem making sure when I got to the end of them stem to wrap very well so the stem didn't poke you. 

8.  When you get to the ball point end of the pen I wrapped a couple of extra times and then tore the tape.  I put a tiny dab of hot glue to hold the tape securely then stuck it to itself.  And WALAH!  You have a flower pen!

To make the pail:

1.  I first hot glued a ribbon at the bottom circumference of the pail.

2.  I wrote the teacher's name on the pail using a paint pen. 

3.  I used foam stickers to decorate the pail. 

4.  I poured the black beans into the pail and poked the pens in the black beans arranging them nicely (the black bean hold the pens in place.)  Presto!  You're done!

Thank you. I am going to make these for her teachers.

justgrape723
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM

this year my son has a male teacher so for Christmas I made him a corn sack and got him a gift card for Dunkin donuts (I know he has to drive past one to get to school)

I did make him a welcome to the new school year box this year I filled it with red, blue, & black pens extra bottles of glue and boxes of crayons. copy paper, staples, hand sanitizer , paper clips, thumb tacks, 5 boxes of Kleenex, Clorox wipes,  and a whole bunch of other classroom supplies

holly450
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I Love the gift it is so cute and my daughter will love to make them for valentine for her teachers and therapist . Great idea thanks!

Junction216
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Quoting lizaye:

Quoting Junction216:

That's really cute.  Where do you find the mail boxes? 

At Target in the Dollar Bin.  I only bought two  (they had a BUNCH) and went back the next week and they were GONE!

Click Banner to Visit My Website:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)