Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wedding gift idea?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 1203 Total Views

My husbands Aunt is getting married in May.This is her 4th marriage and his 2nd. I am wondering what a good gift would be for them?They are very established, and my DH doesn't want to give them money,  they both live in Canada so it must be able to get through customs. 

Any ideas?

by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grandma4five
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Is an afghan within your expertise and budget?  Or even matching lap afghans.  Your husband could help you pick out the pattern to help him feel a part of the shopping and decision making.  Maybe you could let the group know what you like to make and we could come up with some ideas for you.  With all of the talented ladies in this group, I bet you could get many ideas. 

Haydensmom326
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Quoting grandma4five:

Is an afghan within your expertise and budget?  Or even matching lap afghans.  Your husband could help you pick out the pattern to help him feel a part of the shopping and decision making.  Maybe you could let the group know what you like to make and we could come up with some ideas for you.  With all of the talented ladies in this group, I bet you could get many ideas. 

Thanks! I can knit, crochet, sew. pretty much anything. I had also thought of an afghan..

I would like to keep the gift in the price range of $50.00.

maggie13
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I think afghans are such a nice gift. I have always been a fan of the double wedding rings but I cannot quilt. I see them in catalogs and at the bottom of the quilt they have added the names of the bride and groom along with their wedding date. I think that is a beautiful gift. I have seen crocheted versions of the quilt but nothing beats the quilted ones.

I hope you post what you have decided to do and pictures of the final gift.

Take care and have fun creating a memory.

LovemyQ
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I didn't think you had to get a gift with that many weddings that she already has had.  Don't want to be snotty, and I'm not intending to be, but that is a lot of gifts for people to give over the years.  I ahven't heard of the betrothed asking for gifts in that type of situation.

grandma4five
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 5:26 PM

You're correct on the wedding gifts for multiple marriages - it's not something that is expected.  However, if you feel this is something you want to do, it's perfectly acceptable to give a gift of a more personal nature, as has been discussed.   Having said that, for this couple to have even discussed giving a gift leads me to believe this Aunt may be someone they are close to.  Usually when it is not a first marriage, the ceremony and any reception would only be attended by very close family members or personal friends.  

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Jan. 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I like giving monogramed gifts for wedding presents. Bathroom towels, napkins, pillow cases...

here's a link to a monogramed napkin project

or a monogrammed tea cozy...

or monogrammed tea towels...

or even monogrammed etched glasswear...

Sherlly
by on Jan. 17, 2009 at 1:03 PM

For my sister-in-law's wedding I didn't have any money to spare at all! I already had a giant box of wine glasses from Costco, so I took 2 out.

I went to MMichael's and bought a small bottle of etching cream and a blank sheet of contact paper. I drew and cut out one of their initials for their respective glasses, a swirly cool design to go on either side of the letter, and the date of their wedding to go on the bottom of the glass handle. I don't have a picture of them, but here's kind of what they looked like.

I had a white photo box that I decorated with thick black ribbon, and thin white on top of that. Added tiny red fake flowers(that you can find in many colors in the wedding section at Michael's also) to the top of the box, and red tissue paper inside. Red black and white were their wedding colors.

They said not many people got them personal thoughtful gifts, and they really appreciated them. They keep the box to store their glasses. It by itself I wanted to have a presence. A visual memory of their big day. Well, besides all the pictures of course. :P

All in all, because I already had some of what I needed, for this gift I spent about $12. But it looks like more, and its custom for them. I would however very much recommend buying the pre-made monograms and designs. Being the first time I tried this, it took a while for me get my design on the glass. I cut too many swirls I think, and the contact paper turned out very flimsy for it.

Good luck! With whatever you end up doing!

divinity80921
by on Jan. 17, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I was going to suggest an etched mirror. You could etch their names and the date of the wedding on it, a nice scripture verse if that would be something they'd like. You could put wedding rings or a cross to illustrate marriage in Christ (if they are Christians), etc.

Besides buying clear contact paper for the stencil, you can also use masking tape. Design your stencil on paper and then transfer it by tracing it over carbon paper or graphite paper, then use a craft knife to cut away the parts where you want to etch. Time-consuming for a detailed pattern, but a lovely gift.

magdelen69
by on Jan. 17, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I do counter cross stitch and I make wedding announcements.....

Leah

divinity80921
by on Jan. 19, 2009 at 9:46 AM

The most special gift I was given as a second-wedding gift came from an elderly friend who crocheted. She made us a panel with our last name. I framed it and hung it in the kitchen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN