• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Daughter is Turning 12 and...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on what I could make for party favors? The girls coming are about 12 years old also so any odeas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM

You can easily make a picture frame out of just about anything...my favorite is cardboard and fabric.  Take a group shot or a pic of each arriving with the b'day girl....print out..make frame...voila!

xosparklesxo
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

You can easily make a picture frame out of just about anything...my favorite is cardboard and fabric.  Take a group shot or a pic of each arriving with the b'day girl....print out..make frame...voila!

That is an awesome idea!!!

I also think simple beaded jewelry is fun for girls that age, and you can probably buy a nice bulk pack of beads without spending too much.

denise0711
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I was thinking the same thing as above poster. I like the idea of the girls making their own bracelets. You can choose beads and baubles in any price range....have fun...my middle daughter just turned 13 and we had 10 girls over for a  sleepover while the snowstorm was pounding down on us here in Michigan...

sewmama1990
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:42 PM

1. You can buy different types of candy (like in a candy store) and the goodie bags, then let each girl pick the candy they want!!

2. You can go to the dollartree and pick up some cute stuff, have your daughter help, afterall she knows each one of her friends, then send each one of them on an individual treasure hunt in the house or outside if it is nice outside!! So, they hunt for their own party favor!!

3. Survival kits: you put each item in a goodie bag, then make little tags with the list below then tie tag to bag with ribbon!

Friendship

Survival Kit A FRIENDSHIP BAG: Keep your Friendship Bag handy and ready to use at all times!
A mint: you're worth a mint to me.
A button: If you can't say something nice, it's better to "button your lip" (or to close your mouth before saying an unkind word )
A tissue: For drying tears.
A toothpick: To "pick out" the good qualities in everyone.
A gold thread: Friendship is the golden thread that ties together our hearts.
A flower: In the "garden of life" each friendship is beautiful and unique.
Lifesavers: Sometimes we all need a little help.
Cotton Ball: To cushion the rough roads.
Rubber Band: For flexibility!
Safety pin: to bind us together in friendship
Sweet & Sour Tarts: A reminder to appreciate the differences in others.
A Hug & Kiss: Sometimes we all need hugs & kisses. (or Everyone needs daily TLC )
Happy Faces: Smiling is contagious
Candle: You light up my life
Band-Aid: For healing hurt feelings. (or to help a friend who needs mending )
Paper Clip: To keep everything together.
A Star: To reflect your inner beauty
Recipe card: To share a favorite with a friend as a symbol of caring Eraser: To remind you that every day you can start with a clean slate Small smooth stone: to remind you that rough times refine and polish- use for smoother tomorrows
Note card: to send a long overdue greeting to a friend or relative
Playing card: a reminder to be playful and have fun

Student

Survival Kit Sponge - to soak up all the knowledge
Eraser - to remind you that each day you can start with a clean slate
Candle - for when you are burning the midnight oil studying
Button - to remind you that sometimes you have to button your lip
Pack of Gum - so your class can "stick" together
Tootsie roll - to help you roll with the punches
Mounds Bar - for all the information you will need to retain
Toothpicks - to hold your eyes open during class
Lifesaver - for when you feel you are drowning in information
Skor Candy Bar - to remind you to score well on your tests
Sweet & Sour Candy - to help you accept and appreciate the differences in others
Sucker - to remind you not to be a "sucker" be your own person
Carefree Gum - to remind you to have fun
Hugs & Kisses - to remind you I am always here and I love you
A Lollipop - to help you lick your problems
Tissues - to wipe away the sleepers after sleeping during class
Pencil - to "Write" your wrongs
Cotton Ball - for when you can't hear yourself think
Penny - so you always have enough "cents" to realize what a valuable person you are
Tootsie Roll - to remind you to roll with the punches.

4. Fortune Cookies:

Fortune Cookie Recipe

Fortune cookies can be tricky to make - it's important to make sure that the cookie batter is spread out evenly on the baking sheet. Instead of using the back of a wooden spoon to spread the batter, it's better to gently tilt the baking sheet back and forth as needed. Wearing cotton gloves makes it easier to handle and shape the hot cookies. This fortune cookie recipe makes about 10 cookies.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

2 large egg whites

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

8 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon salt

8 tablespoons granulated sugar

3 teaspoons water

Preparation:

1. Write fortunes on pieces of paper that are 3 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 2 9-X-13 inch baking sheets.

2. In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg white, vanilla extract, almond extract and vegetable oil until frothy, but not stiff.

3. Sift the flour, cornstarch, salt and sugar into a separate bowl. Stir the water into the flour mixture.

4. Add the flour into the egg white mixture and stir until you have a smooth batter. The batter should not be runny, but should drop easily off a wooden spoon.

Note: if you want to dye the fortune cookies, add the food coloring at this point, stirring it into the batter. For example, I used 1/2 teaspoon green food coloring to make green fortune cookies.

5. Place level tablespoons of batter onto the cookie sheet, spacing them at least 3 inches apart. Gently tilt the baking sheet back and forth and from side to side so that each tablespoon of batter forms into a circle 4 inches in diameter.

6. Bake until the outer 1/2-inch of each cookie turns golden brown and they are easy to remove from the baking sheet with a spatula (14 - 15 minutes).

7. Working quickly, remove the cookie with a spatula and flip it over in your hand. Place a fortune in the middle of a cookie. To form the fortune cookie shape, fold the cookie in half, then gently pull the edges downward over the rim of a glass, wooden spoon or the edge of a muffin tin. Place the finished cookie in the cup of the muffin tin so that it keeps its shape. Continue with the rest of the cookies.

Ideas for fortune:

There is a true and sincere friendship between you and your friends.

It takes more than good memory to have good memories.

Make two grins grow where there was only a grouch before.

Pray for what you want, but work for the things you need.

Don't forget, you are always on our minds.

Your greatest fortune is the large number of friends you have.

A firm friendship will prove the foundation on your success in life.

A friend is a present you give yourself.

A quiet evening with friends is the best tonic for a long day.

A friend asks only for your time, not your money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)