Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! :) I need ideas for a school Valentine box

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 4:50 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 2521 Total Views

Hi, our dd is in Kinderg. and she needs one of those Valentine boxes.  She loves animals an the littlest pet shop.  I remember my boxes when I was in school, my Mom gave me contruction paper and said go at it. lol  I want hers to be something really fun and cute that we can do together.  Anyone have any ideas?  I'm usually really crafty, but this one has me stumped. lol

Oh and thank you to whomever posted the idea w/ the flower pens!  I want to do this for all my kids teachers!  The ones in kinderg. and the other in preschool.  I think they'll love them!

holding balloons

by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 4:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyndi
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 6:24 AM
Cracker Box Locker

Cracker Box Locker

Just like the real deal, this cool cardboard locker can be spruced up with stickers and tiny posters. (Ours holds valentines instead of math books, however.)

See more sweet ideas on our Valentine's Day page.

CRAFT MATERIALS:

Empty cracker box, such as a saltine box
Double-sided tape
Silver paper
Craft knife
Black marker
Small white button
Larger black button
Card stock
Dymo label maker (optional)

Time needed: About 2 to 3 Hours

1. Use double-sided tape to cover the box with silver paper; be generous with the tape on the side of the box where the door will be cut.

2. Use a craft knife (a parent's job) to cut a door on the front of the locker. Cut a mail slot on the top of the box, if desired.

3. Use a black marker to embellish the front of the box with vents, a handle, and other details.

4. The padlock is a small white button affixed with glue to a larger black button, the pennant is card stock, and our "2009" label was made with a Dymo label maker.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/PushMe  come here for your motivational needs

http://www.cafemom.com/group/BluntConfessions the place to be, the place to confess all your darkest secrets
http://www.cafemom.com/group/notsoperfect  so your not a perfect parent, who is? come and join us
http://www.cafemom.com/group/The5Fs Lets let down our hair and have some fun and foolishness. 

bupkie
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 7:19 AM

I think this one is adorable:

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=12125

Heartfelt Tote

With this easy-to-sew tote your child can carry her heart -- and all of her valentines -- everywhere she goes.

CRAFT MATERIALS:

Scissors
Stiff felt
Marker
Ruler or tape measure
Hole punch
Twist-tie
Ribbon
Glue

Heartfelt Tote - Step 1 1. Cut two identical hearts from stiff felt (ours are 7 1/4 inches across and about 6 1/2 inches high). Use a hole punch to make a hole at the point of each heart. Starting there, measure, mark, and punch holes 1 inch apart, stopping near the top of the hearts, as shown.

2. Cut two strips of felt 1 1/2 inches wide and 15 inches long. Mark and punch holes at 1-inch intervals along both edges of the strips to match the holes in the hearts (our hearts have 7 holes along each edge).

Heartfelt Tote - Step 3 3. Make a "needle" from a twist-tie by folding it in half around a length of narrow ribbon and twisting the ends together. Starting at the point of one heart, use a whipstitch to sew a strip to it. At the top, sew back down the same side so the ribbon crosses itself, as shown. At the bottom point, sew the second strip to the other edge using the same method. To add a new length of ribbon, tie it to the first on the inside of the tote. Attach the second heart to the strips in the same way.

4. To form a handle, overlap the strips and glue them in place. Glue a felt heart onto the tote for decoration.

Bupkie.....

*** My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it. If it fits great! If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ***

Haydensmom326
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Quoting Wyndi:

Cracker Box Locker

Cracker Box Locker

Just like the real deal, this cool cardboard locker can be spruced up with stickers and tiny posters. (Ours holds valentines instead of math books, however.)

CRAFT MATERIALS:

Empty cracker box, such as a saltine box
Double-sided tape
Silver paper
Craft knife
Black marker
Small white button
Larger black button
Card stock
Dymo label maker (optional)

1. Use double-sided tape to cover the box with silver paper; be generous with the tape on the side of the box where the door will be cut.

2. Use a craft knife (a parent's job) to cut a door on the front of the locker. Cut a mail slot on the top of the box, if desired.

3. Use a black marker to embellish the front of the box with vents, a handle, and other details.

4. The padlock is a small white button affixed with glue to a larger black button, the pennant is card stock, and our "2009" label was made with a Dymo label maker.

I was going to suggest this!

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM
We made these whe i was in the 6th grade... fun and easy!

Woven Heart Basket

Woven Heart Basket

Add to My Craft Box

View My Craft Box

This lovely little project starts out as a set of oddly shaped pieces of paper. When properly woven together, however, the pieces reveal their true identity -- a charming basket whose decorative hearts magically appear when it's finished. It's just the thing for storing Valentine's cards and candies.

video Watch a step-by-step video demonstration of this craft.

CRAFT MATERIALS:

Printable patterns (see Step 1)
White or colored paper
Markers or crayons (if using white paper)
Scissors
Glue stick (optional)

Time needed: About 1 Hour

1. Print two copies of this template. If you are printing the templates on colored paper, print one of them on pink paper and the other on red; otherwise, print both templates on white paper and color them as you wish with markers or crayons.

heart basket step 2 2. Fold the printouts in half. Carefully cut out the shapes and cut along the dotted lines. The weaving steps will be a bit easier if, as a crafter has pointed out in her comments below, you cut a bit further up the inner dotted lines than indicated. Go slowly -- the more precise your cuts at this step, the better the basket will look.

heart basket step 3 3. Time to start weaving. Orient the two halves, still folded, at right angles to each other, as shown in the photograph. Be sure that the "bumps" on the strips on each half point away from you.

4. Now thread the left-hand strip furthest away from you through the right-hand strip furthest away from you.

5. Thread the right-hand strip furthest from you through the next left-hand strip, the one second-furthest away from you.

6. Now thread the next left-hand strip, the one third-furthest away from you, through the right-hand strip furthest away from you.

7. Thread the right-hand strip furthest away from you through the left-hand strip second-furthest away from you.

8. Finally, thread the left-hand strip closest to you through the right-hand strip furthest away from you. Whew! One pass down, four to go.

heart basket step 9 9. Snug the right-hand strip up towards the curved end of the left template as far as it will go and smooth everything down (a process you should repeat after each round of weaving).

10. Thread the right-hand strip second-furthest away from you through the left-hand strip furthest from you. See the pattern? Continue alternating your weaves either through or around the other strips until all the strips are finished.

heart basket step 11 11. Glue on a paper handle if you like.

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:52 AM
Cereal Box Tote Bag

Cereal Box Tote Bag

Add to My Craft Box

View My Craft Box

Fishing for a new carryall? Grab an empty cereal box and create a one-of-a-kind design.

video Watch this quick video for fun ways to recycle cereal boxes.

CRAFT MATERIALS:

1 empty cereal box, any size
Scissors
Assorted decorative paper, such as construction paper or scrapbooking paper
Paintbrush
Mod Podge matte sealer

step1 1. Cut off the box's top flaps.

step2 2. Draw a 4- by 1-inch oval centered on the front and back of the box, about 1 inch from the open end. Cut out the ovals to create the handles.

step3 3. Tear your paper into various shapes.

step4 4. Using the paintbrush, apply a small amount of Mod Podge to the back of a piece of paper, then smooth the paper onto the box. Spread more Mod Podge over the paper to help seal it in place. Repeat until the entire box is covered, folding the papers over the edges of the box where necessary. Let the sealer dry, about 20 minutes.

step5 5. To help the tote close easily, use the tip of the paintbrush handle to score a line down the middle of each side of the box, then bring the edges together as shown to crease the fold.

sewmama1990
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 3:20 PM

I found these!!

Conversation Hearts

I also found this idea too so I thought you might be interested in is:

A suggestion is to create a "book" with each students name on a page, and then after opening the valentine, your child glues the valentine to the page on which the valentine was from. Therefore we save those valentines and can look back at them year after year. I wish I had this idea when my kids were little!!! Since your daughter is in kindergarten, you have a chance to start her collection of books!!

farrah
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM

They have at walmart the mailboxes for valentines that you can decorate and it has all the supplies in it already they are super cute!

MamaOfB
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Quoting carrie_grace:

Cereal Box Tote Bag

Cereal Box Tote Bag

Add to My Craft Box

View My Craft Box

Fishing for a new carryall? Grab an empty cereal box and create a one-of-a-kind design.

CRAFT MATERIALS:

Scissors
Paintbrush
Mod Podge matte sealer

step2 2. Draw a 4- by 1-inch oval centered on the front and back of the box, about 1 inch from the open end. Cut out the ovals to create the handles.

step4 4. Using the paintbrush, apply a small amount of Mod Podge to the back of a piece of paper, then smooth the paper onto the box. Spread more Mod Podge over the paper to help seal it in place. Repeat until the entire box is covered, folding the papers over the edges of the box where necessary. Let the sealer dry, about 20 minutes.

step5 5. To help the tote close easily, use the tip of the paintbrush handle to score a line down the middle of each side of the box, then bring the edges together as shown to crease the fold.

My son's preschool class asked for everyone to send in cereal boxes.  Now I know why!  LOL

mumma2maddie
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Try going on scrapbookingetc.com  lots of awesome ideas on there. You can even make 6 Free photo valentine cards, FREE! Just put Valentine in the coupon box when checking out!   Your DD can pass out pictures to her closest friends or family.

Mrsblitz
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Quoting carrie_grace:

Cereal Box Tote Bag

Cereal Box Tote Bag

Add to My Craft Box

View My Craft Box

CRAFT MATERIALS:

Scissors
Paintbrush
Mod Podge matte sealer

My daughter and I made this yesterday for her preschool teacher. It was fast and really easy to make. The finished product really turned out cute. We are going to give it to her today. So she will be ready for the Valentines Party.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)