Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

St. Patrick's Day Crafts

Posted by   + Show Post

Top O' The Mornin' To Ya!

Just thought I'd get a jump on here to get everyone started with sharing St. Patrick's Day crafts & ideas. The photo's below are ideas I've found online - personally, I'm still working on getting all my valentine stuff down & pulling out the St. Patrick's stash and working on new crafts as I go, so I may have more to add later. Enjoy!!!

happy st. patricks day

by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 11:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
Linkat2000
by on Feb. 27, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Awesome Idea...thanks!  I would much rather make stuff than buy it and that was super cute!

Quoting KristinaO129:

In reply to Lindsay...

Hi Lindsay - In answer to your question, yes the mantel item is a finished item for purchase from Terry's Village (terrysvillage.com) but often, I will "swipe" ideas of finished products and make them myself. For these letter items, you can find large wood block letters at Michaels, most Walmart craft dept. or other craft stores & if you're artistic enough, can be painted or what I often do is decoupage scrapbook paper onto the letters & embellish as desired. 

Best of Luck!

Lindsay Wilson

SgtWife0502
by on Feb. 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Great idea... i may do that next year but use one of the smaller trees

Quoting yellowhair:

Those are adorable!! This year we are leaving our Chisrtmas tree up and redecorating it for all of the holidays. My son and my friend (disabled) and myself are handmaking all of the decorations. She makes the chains and Tanner and I make the rest. The one for Valentines turned out pretty cute.  If we get the St. Patricks one done, I'll try to post some pics. Please keep the ideas coming, I need all the help I can get. LOL

moonsdust
by on Feb. 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM

it looks totally awesome

Dee1959
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Such cute ideas, thanks for sharing!!

Dee

happy st. patricks day

branda32
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Quoting follybeach:

Cute ideas Thanks for sharing...

For my sons 3rd grade class I'm doing green jelly beans in little zip lock bags (3x5 in craft dept at walmart 100 for 1.57)with this poem attached....

St. Patrick's

Leprechaun

It's time for the wearin' of the green
and the smallest people
you've ever seen.
The Luck of the Irish they carry along
and a pot of gold if you can hold them long.
But if you let them go too soon,
Leprechaun poop will be your due!

I did the same thing for Valentines Day at work for a fundraiser & it was a huge hit. I used red hots & it was cupid poop.

Cupid Poop

Here is something from the cupids above,
who fly along with all of the doves.
Whose arrows have hit many lonely hearts,
they send you a gift for your big heart.
Your kindness and love have been so true,
so the cupids have sent you their little poo-poo.

They have a poem for every holiday www.kimstamps.com/poop.html

This is too funny! 

BECKI143
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 3:16 AM

I am not Irish either, but for that day I am an honorary one = as my friend and his family says since we were kids. We celebrate it as much as the Irish. I always make multicutral food. So for St, Patricks Day I will make all Irish dishes(breakfast/lunch/and dinner). You should come by my profile. I am all Ireland crazy. My birth father was Scotish so I do feel a bit close to Ireland in a way. Ireland gave Scotland the bagpipes.

I got these off the net.

Clay Pot Leprechaun

What you'll need:
2 ½" clay pot
1 ½" wooden ball with a flat bottom
Green fabric (cotton t-shirt is ideal), 9" x 9", cut into three equal strips
Green, black, yellow and orange felt
Black and flesh-colored (we used peach) paint
1 cardboard egg cup
Scraps of yellow tissue paper or construction paper
Scissors
White craft glue
Black fine point marker
How to make it:
Paint the clay pot green, let dry and repeat for a second coat.
Paint the wooden ball with flesh-colored paint, let dry and repeat for a second coat.
Trim the rough edges off of the egg cup and paint it black, inside and out.
Cut a piece of green felt, about 2" x 5" and pipe a line of glue along one of the long sides. Place the wooden ball onto the felt and wrap the felt around the ball gluing in place. (See photo.) This will form the hat. (See photo.)
Cut a strip of green felt about 1" x 5" (long enough to go around the hat for the brim). Pipe a line of glue along the long edge, fold the edge onto the glue (See photo), then glue and fold again to create the brim. (See photo.)
Cut a strip of black felt the same length as the green brim, about ½" wide.
Cut a small square buckle from the yellow felt and glue it centered on the black strip.
With the buckle facing downward, glue the black band onto the green brim and set aside to dry. (See photo.)
Cut a strip of orange felt about ¾" x 4". Add a dot of glue to the center of the orange strip and place the wooden ball on top of it, with the seam of the green hat facing toward the table.
Pipe some glue onto the remaining orange strip and wrap around the ball to form the hair. The orange strip should cover the back of the head and the sides of the face. (See photo.)
Turn the green hat brim with the black band face up and glue to the front of the wooden ball head. Wrap it around so that the seams meet or overlap in the back and glue in place. (See photo.)
Stand the wooden ball up onto its flat bottom. Tuck the top of the green felt hat into itself and use your fingers to adjust the black hat band if needed. (See photo.)
Cut a 1" oval from the orange felt for the beard and cut a small slit toward the top of the oval for the mouth. Glue the beard to the wooden ball.
Glue the head to the clay pot. (See photo.)
Cut a strip from black felt about ½" and long enough to wrap around the clay pot just above the rim (pot will be upside down) for the belt. Glue in place.
Cut a buckle for the belt from yellow felt glue to the center of the belt.
Roll up and glue the three green fabric strips, these will be the arms (1) and legs (2). T-shirt material works wonderful for this! (See photo.)
Place one of the strips onto the work surface, dot some glue in the center and lay the clay pot on to it, leprechaun's face should be facing up.
Lay the other two fabric strips on to the table. Pipe about 2" of glue on one end of each fabric strip and press them inside the clay pot so that the legs will dangle when upright.
Fill the egg cup with yellow tissue or construction paper.
Sit the leprechaun upright and wrap the fabric strip on the back of the pot around to the front to form the arms. Add some glue to the ends of the arms and stick them to the black egg cup (pot of gold).
Use a black marker to dot on the eyes. (See photo.)

Tips:
Try to use fabric that is flowing for the arms and legs so that it doesn't stiffen. Softer fabric will hang loosely and look better.
Save old colorful t-shirts for projects such as these!
If you don't have felt you can substitute construction paper.

Catch a Leprechaun!

Directions:
Leprechaun Catchers Leprechauns are a mythical and elusive folk. They are extremely crafty and clever and love to play pranks. They are shoe-makers and cobblers and are known to whistle a happy tune while they repair fairy shoes worn out from too much dancing. If you listen very, very carefully you just might be able to hear the tap of the Leprechaun's hammer as he works or catch the faint echo of his tune. Would this be the time to catch a Leprechaun while he is lost in his work, unaware of his surroundings? Could you lure one into a trap with fine shoe leather, tools, and silk? Leprechauns are also known to be fishermen. Perhaps you could entice one into a trap with a selection of minature fishing gear... They usually reside in thorn bushes, although the smallest ones are known to inhabit toadstools. They smoke heather root and drink tea with milk and fresh spring water. Perhaps a well-built Leprechaun home, seemily abandoned would trick them into your capture... It is hard to know. As far as we know nobody has actually ever captured a Leprechaun though many have seen them and been tricked. While you decide how to construct a Leprechaun catcher to capture a real Leprechaun, we will show you how to make a fun and entertaining Leprechaun catcher game. To make this craft project you will need white paper, scissors, crayons, and other materials to decorate your Leprechaun catcher. First take your white paper and cut a perfect square. Fold two corners together and crease. Unfold. Repeat with the other two corners. Unfold. Now fold all the corner into the center of the square. Flip the piece of paper over. Fold all four corners into the center. Now number or decorate the 8 flaps and write and draw pictures under each one of them. Under one of the flaps place a Leprechaun for you to "catch"! Flip the Leprechaun catcher back over and stick your thumbs and index fingers into the four folded pockets.

Bean Sprouts on a Sponge

Foam Photo Frame

Pot of Gold Door Hanger

Fankmom
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Every year for my kids I hide a few Chocolate Coins that are wrapped in the gold foil around the house.  I give them clues by having construction paper shamrocks strewn about that I embellish with glitter.  These "Shamrocks" usually lead them to their "POT OF GOLD".  It is something that  they look forward to every year, I do it every St. Patrick's Day morning.  It is fun and they anticipate the Leprechauns hiding gold, as though it were "Santa" coming!  I keep these paper Shamrocks year- to-year, storing them with my St. Patty's decorations.  This is such an easy, inexpensive thing to do that starts a  Great Holiday tradition.  We also usually have GREEN EGGS AND HAM for breakfast with the magic of a little food coloring, another all time favorite at house, that goes great with the classic Doctor Seuss story, but of course you can find some great Leprechaun stories at the library, also! 

dawnyz
by on Mar. 13, 2009 at 9:00 AM

tisse paper rainbows and pots of gold I have totally gotten all about them, thank you for this post. Have a good day 

hms1223
by on Mar. 14, 2009 at 8:42 AM

I found this knitting pattern yesterday and even though I am just learning to knit (crocheter for years!)  I am going to give them a try.  They seem simple enough as they are just basic knit and purl stitches.

http://krisknits.blogspot.com/2009/03/st-patricks-day-cloths.html

I think they would make nice blocks for an afghan!

MelindaD
by on Mar. 14, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Our tree is way too big to keep up all the time, but after Christmas when everything was on clearance I bought a red 4 ft tree for Valentine's Day. It worked great.

Quoting KristinaO129:

BUMP

(I'm bumping my own post back up, sorry, not trying to be conceited, another post was asking for St. Patrick's ideas for a kid's party & I'm just getting this back up on the list so it's not long lost in the shuffle.)  

BTW -- Even if you're not Irish, you can always be Irish for a day on St. Patricks Day! ; )

st. patricks day

N.C. Moms come check out my group  butterfly

http://www.cafemom.com/group/NCMommies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)