Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

outer space crafts?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 9:50 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 4495 Total Views

I am having an outer space party for my son's 5th b-day.  I have looked on websites for some cute ideas, yet I haven't found anything really cool for his age group.  If anyone has any grat ideas like invitations or anything I would appreciate it.  Meghan

by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
maggie13
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Is there a kind of outer space theme he likes? I mean does he like robots? aliens? planets?

Well, you could make your own type of pin-the-tail-on the donkey game using an outer space theme like a gizmo on the robot? He could help you make the gizmos and color them as well as the robot. Pin-the-Eye on the Alien.

The invitaions could be a rocket ship...nothing fancy just draw one and if your not good at that find one in a coloring book or one of the color pages on the net, print it out and either use it to send or as a template to trace one out on card stock.

You could make planet placemats. Same thing as the invitaitons but  make the planet on construction paper or regular paper. You can give the kids some crayons and let them go ahead and color their mats while you get the cake and ice cream.

Found these on a website:

Centerpiece
Cover 1-3 oatmeal boxes with aluminum foil. Fill with black and royal blue 
tissue paper and insert metallic star "sprays" from craft or party store.

A Special Astronaut Welcome
Upon arrival give the guests a fabric sash with the NASA emblem, rocket 
or star patch. You can make the sashes easily with felt and pinking shears. A simple straight seam or fabric glue will connect the ends. 
Use a fabric pen to write "Astronaut in Training" --
You can also make craft foam badges if sewing is not for you.

Enlist a talented teen to face paint a rocket on each guest as well or get a set of instant tatoos.

Outer Space Crafts
Provide paper plates, egg cartons, TP tubes,  pipe cleaners, construction paper, paint, markers, glue sticks, scissors and other miscellaneous craft materials. Place all of the items on a protected space and allow the children to build their own rockets, UFO's or alien creatures.
Variation - Use play dough or modeling clay to make planets and aliens.

Fun Space Party Favors
Pop-Rocks candy, Milky Way bars, Mars bars, glow-in-the-dark star stickers, NASA Coloring sheets, a deck of space cards...

Photo Opportunity
Marcella from Houston, TX shared her great idea...
She painted two appliance boxes -- one with an astronaut and 
one with a rocket. Then she cut a hole in each, for the party guests faces. Each guest took turns poking their faces through the holes for a fun photo. The pictures were mailed with "thank you" notes from her son. I think this would be cute with a poster too.

auroragold
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Paper towel tubes make great rockets!  And for the booster engines, TP tubes make the grade.   The kids will need only stickers, markers, glue and their imagination for this one!

I can dig out instructions for this one if you'd like.  I found them in a book on recycled art and modified them a bit to suit my purposes (which was a craft session for kids 5yrs and older)

Old CD's become planets when you add a styrofoam ball in the middle.  The kids decorate the old CD and ball (glitter glue does fabulous here).  Cut the ball in half, place the CD on one half of the ball, insert a toothpick (and glue) and stick on the other half of the ball.

Do you have old film cannisters (or can you get some)?  If so, place 1/2 Alka Seltzer tablet in the cannister, add water, put the top on and IMMEDIATELY set on the ground and WALK AWAY.  The "rocket" will take off skyward as the Alka Seltzer dissolves!

You can add to this activity by having the film cannister INSIDE one of the homemade rocketships. 

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Feb. 19, 2009 at 9:42 AM

rocket ship cake

here is a link to a "space oddessy" themed birthday party...

here's another rocket ship cake

Crater cake

comet toss game

for an activity you could make outerspace tshirts with the kids...

here's a link to an outerspace themed party at family fun.com

I hope these help.  I found most of it at familyfun.com, they had tons of stuff there you can do a search of "outer space" there and tons of age appropriate stuff comes up.

good luck!

MamaOfB
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I remember making space ships out of foil pie pans when I was a kid.  I don't remember how we did it.  I thin we wrapped them in paper or foil so that they would stay together while they flew.  That may be better for a decoration idea than a craft idea!!!

I like that rocket cake above!  I like it when you can make a sheet cake and just cut it to the shape of what you want.  No special pans/supplies required (other than the cake decorations). 

frostyone77
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 9:29 AM

for the planets you can get those styrofoam balls (in diff sizes) and paint them to look like the planets (spray paint) and hang them from the celing and door ways with fishing line. or put them on dowl rods and use as a centerpiece stuck into a large round circle cut in half.

hippypeg
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I know this can be a cumbersome idea, but if you get Dad involved in the party, maybe he can be a special guess.  Find a box big enough to go around your body and cut a hole for head in top and arms on sides, leave bottom open.  Cover the box with foil.  Using large tin cans, like number 10 cans, wire them together to make arms. wire them to the arm holes of the box. Using a smaller box for your head, cover with foil, cut out eye holes, adding colored see thru film for eyes, so the kids can't see eyes of human.  Make up a mouth and nose anyway you want.  (Don't add lips tho, Robots can't kiss well.) You might want to add tabs of velcro so that the kids can't knock your head off.  Wear black gloves and black pants and go as a robot.  Big black oversize boots are great to complete the clumsy robot look.

If u want to get real fancy, add a spiral of wire to top of head box for reception.  Add button type stick ons to your front and maybe even a red "panic button "just for fun, using  music buttons so it makes noise.  If you are not in a hurry for this party, you can come up with more ideas to make your robot fancy.  Kids will get a kick out of it, especially if your are a taller size dad!!! (OR MOM)

peace from hippy peg

erinkoeser616
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM

you can get rocketship crayons!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)