Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi Ladies! I have a group of about 12-15 fellow mom's (although we're growing) who I meet with 2 times a month. Occasionally we like to do a craft but we're struggling for ideas that appeal to different skill levels, what comes easily to a couple/few of us, has proved more difficult for others. Plus this group LOVES to be able to chat while we're crafting, so anything requiring a lot of instructions wouldn't work well. I would love some ideas that are fairly simple & easy, inexpensive, and not time consuming but would be somthing the ladies would appreciate & not just toss out. (It does not have to be just holiday related)  Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance for all your ideas! (Pictures are always of great help too!)

Warm Hugs,

Kristina

scrapbookingblowing kisses

by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM
Replies (11-19):
KristinaO129
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 12:22 PM

These are all some great ideas! Thank you so much for all the replies. Please keep the ideas coming, I could use all the suggestions I can get. Thanks again!!!

Hugs,

Kristina

hugs

mamamiaohmy
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I really like that idea using the ruler and clothespins- I'm going to write that one down :)  Another possible craft idea could be a very simple mini album- take a 12x12 sheet of cardstock- you can find some really thick printed cardstock weight paper in scrapbook/craft stores if you want to take that approach, cut it into thirds - so you have 3 pieces that are 4 inch by 12 inches.  Fold them every four inches in an accordian style.  You can glue one end to another and then decorate them for a very simple mini album- here's some pictures if you're not familiar with all that (not everyone does scrapping)

I don't know how well that shows you, but it's folded "accordian" style... You can tie it shut with a ribbon for a basic version, glue printed paper squares on, add whatever else you want to decorate it.

Also, another easy mini album to make is where you cut a 12x12 piece of cardstock into 4x4 inch squares, and you glue them back to back, with a long piece of ribbon in the middle of all of them, here's a picture of one:

if you're interested in how-to's for these with step by step instructions I can give you the links, but I don't want to throw a bunch of stuff out here that you might not be interested in.  These 2 types of albums are pretty easy- the one on the bottom has no folding involved whatsoever.  I'm a mini album nerd, so I'm always going to be quick to suggest something like this.. but ladies have enjoyed doing them at my MOPS group.  Good luck! :) Kathryn

YORKSHIRE ETTIQUETTE RULE #1 : Never ask an Englishman where he is from. If he is from Yorkshire he will tell you. If he is not, it is unfair to embarass him.
KristinaO129
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Quoting mamamiaohmy:

I really like that idea using the ruler and clothespins- I'm going to write that one down :)  Another possible craft idea could be a very simple mini album- take a 12x12 sheet of cardstock- you can find some really thick printed cardstock weight paper in scrapbook/craft stores if you want to take that approach, cut it into thirds - so you have 3 pieces that are 4 inch by 12 inches.  Fold them every four inches in an accordian style.  You can glue one end to another and then decorate them for a very simple mini album- here's some pictures if you're not familiar with all that (not everyone does scrapping)

I don't know how well that shows you, but it's folded "accordian" style... You can tie it shut with a ribbon for a basic version, glue printed paper squares on, add whatever else you want to decorate it.

Also, another easy mini album to make is where you cut a 12x12 piece of cardstock into 4x4 inch squares, and you glue them back to back, with a long piece of ribbon in the middle of all of them, here's a picture of one:

if you're interested in how-to's for these with step by step instructions I can give you the links, but I don't want to throw a bunch of stuff out here that you might not be interested in.  These 2 types of albums are pretty easy- the one on the bottom has no folding involved whatsoever.  I'm a mini album nerd, so I'm always going to be quick to suggest something like this.. but ladies have enjoyed doing them at my MOPS group.  Good luck! :) Kathryn

Hi Kathryn - If you could post the links, that would be great! We seem to have a lot of ladies interested in scrapbooking (myself included) -- just curious, how much time did it take you to complete one of these mini-albums & how much of the prep work did you do for the ladies before passing things out. (We're they cut up & put into kits or ???) We've just discovered in the past that what we thought was a simple scrapbook type project wasn't so simple for several people & we could never get finished in the time we had. And these little books as adorable as they are look even a little more involved than our previous attempts. (But I might have to do some for myself & just try to convince others to get on board!) ; )

I'm a MOPS mom too for many years. This group is sort-of a MOPS group although we don't stick to the official MOPS curriculum. Thanks for the great idea!

mamamiaohmy
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 2:31 AM

Well, doggone it, with the new forums change, I can't find anything anymore... ugh, aggravating, I thought it was fixed.. oh well... anyhow... I totally understand how something that seems like it should be relatively simple can end up taking a lot longer and still overwhelm people.  I think for your group, the second one might be a little bit easier for all levels.  These little albums can be as fancy or simple as people like and what embellishments you have available.  You could get the squares cut in advance, and it wouldn't take very long.  A twelve by twelve piece of cardstock will get you 9 four inch squares- so out of one piece of paper you'd get 4 "pages", since they'll be glued back to back.  You would place one square in front of you, put adhesive around the edges and a bit in the middle.  Cut a length of ribbon - how long it will be will depend on how many "pages" to your album.  Leave this intact.  Place the ribbon across the middle of the 4" square, then place another 4 inch square directly on top of the bottom square, lining it up evenly.  Repeat with the remaining squares- you'll need an even amount of squares.  you can leave extra ribbon at the ends to tie, or tuck it in to the edge to make a little decorative loop of sorts- I think you can see on the picture a little bit of the small loop.  You can provide 4 inch squares of printed paper for the ladies to glue on the pages and then place their pictures on the pages.  They can use buttons, ribbon to make bows/ties and glue them on, stickers if you like those, flowers, etc.  I want to try this album with my MOPS group because I think it's one of the least intimidating styles of mini albums- and you're wanting to appeal to all levels of skill, I can totally understand that.  I don't know how great my description was, I wish I could find the how to I did on them with the individual steps photographed, but I think it should make sense with the picture that I have of the finished product.  Please don't think that it has to a big production to make these, they're very simple, and not everyone likes to decorate things the same way.  I tend to be a "less is more" kind of person for the most part, I struggle with embellishing...   good luck,  if you have any more questions, feel free to ask :) Kathryn

Quoting KristinaO129:

Quoting mamamiaohmy:

Hi Kathryn - If you could post the links, that would be great! We seem to have a lot of ladies interested in scrapbooking (myself included) -- just curious, how much time did it take you to complete one of these mini-albums & how much of the prep work did you do for the ladies before passing things out. (We're they cut up & put into kits or ???) We've just discovered in the past that what we thought was a simple scrapbook type project wasn't so simple for several people & we could never get finished in the time we had. And these little books as adorable as they are look even a little more involved than our previous attempts. (But I might have to do some for myself & just try to convince others to get on board!) ; )

I'm a MOPS mom too for many years. This group is sort-of a MOPS group although we don't stick to the official MOPS curriculum. Thanks for the great idea!

YORKSHIRE ETTIQUETTE RULE #1 : Never ask an Englishman where he is from. If he is from Yorkshire he will tell you. If he is not, it is unfair to embarass him.
Bizmom
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM

We like to make ornaments using pipe cleaners,pom poms, or small flowers and glue them onto the pipe cleaners after yo shape the pipe cleaners into a shape. glue your items on and add your ribbon for a hanging.

Use popsicle sticks for making snowflakes or picture frames, add again your flowers or buttons or pom poms, sequins etc.

make flower pens. wrap pens with floral tape white or green. hot glue your flower to top of pen. add aleene's tacky glue to make it permanent.

make brown bag scrapbook's using brown bags and adding yoru papers to the bags after you attach 3 bags together, this will give you 6 pages,and you can use both sides.          I have a few picture of crafts I've done on my blog site if you want to check it out. any info you need just let me know. I haven't posted them all yet, but still working onit, but there's a few to check out. hope it helps.

http://BizCrafter.blogspot.com

Bizmom 

wave

soccerjunki
by on Dec. 20, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I am sorry if I repeat anything these talented ladies have put b/c I don't have time to read everything right now..all the kids are up.ha ha..just wanted give my ideas..(i will come back later and read every one elses ideas..)

I love tag ideas..we take rings (like binder rings) and make books out of them..decorate them and you can make recipe books..anything..

cardds..a few simple supplies some rubber stamps, coloring pencils..note cards..and you can make some great gifts (for your self even lol)

Christmas ornaments..

start a quilting club??

jewelry..you can buy small kits at most craft stors that will make a couple of braclets.

when all else fails..check out some crafting web sites and get some ideas there...also

www.overstock.com   has Michaels big book of crafts right now..but I can't remember how much right now..

maryw24
by on Dec. 21, 2009 at 1:36 PM

How about some photo keychains? They are easy and would be inexpensive. You could leave off the letter beads to make it even more inexpensive. I love mine.

Here is the blog I did about them and the instructions:

http://lilbitofus.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-latest-craft.html

swdesigns
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Everyone has great ideas!  I've done the bath salts in a jar,  cookie mixes in a jar ( hot chocolate  mixes too) , jewelry- earrings and bracelets, a single scrapbooking page that I framed later on ( just have them bring a few pic with them) , a kitchen herb garden ( container, dirt, seeds ). Sounds like you guys have alot of fun ! Enjoy. 

Soap911
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 3:48 PM

This is supper simple and can be used for Christmas, Birthday's, Mother's Day, Valentine's etc. It is a no sew drawer or hanging potpourri sachet. Go to the hobby store and buy bags of small assorted shaped needlepoint hoops. Usually come in a mixed bag of 6-12 in the 3-4 inch size range in circles, ovals and sometimes even squares and hearts. Next get some lace fabric or colored toile mesh (the kind you make wedding favors with) or combination of both. Then buy or make perfumed potpourri with the colors and oil scent that go with the theme you are needing. Lastly buy spools of color coordinated thin ribbon that will go with your theme. To make these cut the fabric lace into squares an inch or two bigger than the shaped hoops you have purchased (at least 2 inches if you like the potpourri over stuffed). Mix up your potpourri with the perfume or oil of your choice, place the bottom hoop on the table, than a piece of fabric, scoop into the middle of the fabric some of the potpourri, cover with the second piece of fabric, place the top hoop on over all of the layers, tighten the two fabric pieces until the potpourri is as flat as you would like it to be and tighten the thumb screw of the hoop until completely closed. Then you can make a little bow or bow with a hanging loop with one or two pieces of ribbon (same or coordinating colors) tying it to the top of the hoop at the screwtwist. I like to seal it with hot glue to make sure the ribbon stays and the screw does not open up. Last thing is to trim the lace to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch out around the edge of the hoop sachet. Sorry I do not have any pictures, but I have made these for years for girl scouts, church sales and extention groups and they have always been a hit.

Linda Chambers

Soap Warehouse

800-762-7911

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)