Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

St patricks day party for Toddlers. Need ideas.

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 1035 Total Views

I am hosting a st patty's party for my dd playgroup. there will be about 6 toddlers ranging in age from 1-3. Any ideas for crafts?

Thanks!

by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momoflilangel
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM

bump for my use too!

jillmw
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM

No ideas but are we invited?  I took off work St Pattys Day and the day of the parade. 

Haydensmom326
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Quoting jillmw:

No ideas but are we invited?  I took off work St Pattys Day and the day of the parade. 

lol yes, I just haven't posted it yet!

solen
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:31 PM

This might be a little old for your age group, but you can maybe have the moms do it with the kids?  Or get some kind of idea from it.

Last year, my son's kindergarten class made "traps" to catch the lepracahun (sp?)  It could be a pot of gold, a decorated bag etc.  My son and I made a little house for him with welcome leprachaun on the front door (with a shoe box)

Then the leprachun came and messed the room up, turning over chairs etc. when no one was looking.  (kids were at recess)  And then they hunted through the school to find him.  (like a scavenger hunt)

Like I said, you would have to modify it for your age group, but it was lots of fun.

MNMom247365
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Find and Cut out shamrocks then let the kids color them green. You can also use the same shamrocks and put a few dots of yellow and blue paint on the cut outs then let the kids mix their own paint to make green.  Have green jigglers (jello) and let them use cookie cutters to cut out shamrock shapes (Craft and snack in one).  Buy a rainbow of colored tissue paper and some clear contact paper, Cut out archs and then have the kids tear the tissue paper and place it on the contact paper covering it all to look like a rainbow. Then hang it in the window for a beautiful stained glass rainbow. Another cool thing is to take a clear glass pitcher and put a drop of yellow and blue food coloring in it while the kids aren't watching them pour the milk into the pitcher and they children will see it isn't white and wonder what happened, you can tell them the leprauchan must have visited and stuck his toes in the milk, they usually get a kick out of that.  Good Luck and have fun! :)

Girl_Power
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:39 PM

No one has suggested green beer yet? Lol, that was a joke!!!

Dye pasta green and let the kids string necklaces.  You can even cut out little shamrocks to intermingle with the pasta, just punch a hole in the middle. (Or find a big shamrock punch at a craft store). 

Make homemade green play-dough.

have fun!!

JeffersonMom
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:50 PM

lol, might be a little young for green beer, but when I was in grade school they used to give us green milk.  For a craft, try this.  Get shamrock dollies (sp?) and some glitter paint/glue, and some paint brushes.  Let the  kids paint their shamrocks.  It's a little messy, but the glitter glue is washable (trust me, it comes out of clothes, my son tested that)

Quoting Girl_Power:

No one has suggested green beer yet? Lol, that was a joke!!!

Dye pasta green and let the kids string necklaces.  You can even cut out little shamrocks to intermingle with the pasta, just punch a hole in the middle. (Or find a big shamrock punch at a craft store). 

Make homemade green play-dough.

have fun!!

AprilSheree72
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I can't no one has suggested this one yet, but simply make shamrock cookies and let the kids go crazy with icing and GREEN sprinkles!

And anytime kids and glitter or stamp is a good day, so have some cheap little 'paper pots from the craft store, or anything that can be decorated and to hold "gold" coins for their "pots of gold" you can even have the kids make the coins with simple circle, glue and Gold glitter!

Good luck!

maggie13
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Quoting Haydensmom326:

I am hosting a st patty's party for my dd playgroup. there will be about 6 toddlers ranging in age from 1-3. Any ideas for crafts?

Thanks!

Being so young is a challenge.

Frist since little ones, love to put everything in their mouths; it might be best to avoid things like glue or such.

You can have one of those pin-the shamrock on the hat game. You make a large hat on white poster board and make the shamrocks or get foam pre-cut ones at a craft store. Instead of pins, use tape.

Crafting? Well, finger paints are good. You can have them put three or four hand prints on paper to form a shamrock. Since they will most likely also try and paint anything they can put their little hands. I would make sure each one gets a tee-shirt so they can do that; one that fits a slightly older kid so it will go to their knees and work sort of like an apron.

You could use big kids crayons and help them color.

Most of the things have to be pre-made for younger kids but I would check out websites for toddlers and see what they suggest.

Here is a recipe for Peanut Butter Playdough

Instructions for making clay out of peanut butter. A fun clay you can play with and then eat, submitted by Ladena.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 c. Smooth Peanut Butter
  • 1/2 c. Honey
  • 2 c. Nonfat Dry Milk

Preparation:

Mix together the peanut butter and honey first. Add half of the dry and mix; then continue to add a little at a time until it feels soft and playful! Use less than 2 cups of dry milk if the clay seems to be getting dry.

You can add raisins, coconut, chocolate chips etc. to decorate. ENJOY!!!

YES, YOU CAN EAT IT! It's really sweet because of the honey so I try not to give the kids too much, but I don't make it too often so when they get it even a small bunch is a treat!

Tip from Tricia: "One of my kids is very lactose intolerant and so I was worried about using dried milk. So i thought, thought, what can i use as a substitute for the milk? I decided to try corn meal. It worked wonderfully, even better than dried milk, and tasted better too. To the recipe above, mix together the honey and peanut butter and then slowly add 8 - 12 ounces of corn meal a little at a time until your clay is the desired constancy."

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Have the kids go outside for a little while....when they come back, they'll see that the leprechauns have visited!  Green confetti, candy coins...and the best...put some green food coloring in the potty....the leprechauns had to use the bathroom!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)