Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A dinosaur birthday party for a 2 yr. old

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 3534 Total Views

Hey Ladies...

I am in the works of planning a small party of toddlers and their Moms to come over for munchies and I am looking into ideas for a cool dinosaur cake or cupcakes I can make. I would also love some ideas for games. decorations and munchie ideas to see what creative ideas you ladies have that I may use!

Thank you for any suggestions you all have :)

by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2setsoftwinsomy
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I was just at Target and they had a pan that made like 6 different dinosaur mini-cakes. Maybe you can use that.

Good luck!

Melissa

maggie13
by on Feb. 24, 2009 at 6:04 PM

one of the neatest things I have seen for the dino theme is dino sandwiches. They were cut out of bread using a dino cookie cutter.

easter candy is already hitting the shelves and jelly beans are good for dino eggs. You could even take some frosting that comes from the tubes like from the grocery stores and frost those peanut butter eggs with dots on them.

Large plastic eggs can be used to make a little dino egg hunt sort of like hunting for easter eggs....LOL, get them used to it before easter. You can get those fabric totes at a craft store and paint dinos on them so each kid can carry them to search for their eggs. Since they are little, you could give prizes like stuff toys or even a few cute pairs of toddler socks (they would fit nicely into a large plastic egg.

Another mom posted a link to Oriental Trading Company, I use them all the time. I saw that they have inflatable dinos. They even have tattoos there as well.

I also saw a volcano cake recently on the foodnetwork with Sandra Lee. It was really cute.

How about dino egg cookies? or even dino bone cookies? You could use bone shaped cookie cuters for the bones and peanut butter cookie dough or sugar cookie dough with a little food color mixed in. For the eggs, you can use the easter egg cookie cutter. I think the egg cookie cutter would make good sandwiches shapes as well even for just plain P&J.

Linkat2000
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Here is an example of a cute cake.  I didn't do this one but it is still pretty cute.  It was done by a place that I worked at.  All you do is use 1 round cake pan and cut it in half and ice it together.  It works best with homemade icing that is stiffer than store bought stuff.  The head, legs, and tail are all made of just a ton of icing.  And the spikes are just icing too.  We have done this one in ALL colors.  Its fun sometimes to let the kids pick out the colors. 

I would definitely use oriental trading for favors and decorations...you just about can't get it cheaper anywhere else.

And if you are looking for invites, Vistaprint.com usually has some great ideas and you can create your own invitation.  Just search for dinosaur invitations. 

I liked the egg hunt.  It would be super easy with all of the easter stuff out...you can get eggs at the dollar store.  If you are wanting to be super crafty, you could use felt to make like dino "archeologist" type vests for the kids to keep as part of their favors.  Or I know Michaels has some fun looking hats that are pretty inexpensive that are made out of foam type material.  I don't know if 2 year olds would keep them on their heads though! 

Hope this helps!

Lindsay Wilson

AngelaRosenthal
by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 11:34 AM

How neat is this.  We recently did a dinosaur theme for my 2 year old as well. I made cupcakes and put tiny individual dinos on them that I had found in a tube at ToysRus.  Made a pinata  dino egg, the ballon allowed it the perfect shape. I found so many neat ideas while searching the web. I used this pic of harry and his bucket full of dinosaurs for the invite. I have so much stuff I'll just have to send it too you. good luck

BabyMasonsMomma
by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Thank you ladies for all the wonderful ideas! Keep them coming if you like! 

BabyMasonsMomma
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Bump

maggie13
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM

You could take a bowl for one of those plastic kind that are colored or have that cracked look to them and add some toddler biscuits or fruit loops. Sort of like Dino Trail Mix.  For the adults, you could add something else to them. I saw one mention of dinosaur shaped chiken nuggets found in some grocery stores (that is a cute idea).

DINOSAUR DECOR
A balloon bouquet of smiling dinosaur faces tied to a mailbox, fence post or any other stationary object that's heavy enough to keep it from flying away makes a fun greeting for kids arriving at this party. Later, you can let each guest take one home.

Inflate a bunch of quality large round latex balloons or, even better, purchase helium-filled balloons at a party store (generally, they cost about $1 apiece). Turn each balloon knotted- side up, then pull the string down along the back and tape it to the bottom of the inverted balloon. With acrylic paint, decorate the front of each balloon with two large eyes, circular nostrils and a U-shaped row of zigzag teeth.

snuggs27
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 11:13 PM

This past weekend we had Kep's 2nd birthday party! It was so much fun! I hope these pics give you a few ideas...

I made 2 dino cakes, I got the idea from  familyfun.com. It was the dragon cake but I didn't put the wings on it so it became a dino cake.

The dinosaur game was simple and fun for 2 year olds. All I did was cut a dino out of poster board and glued it to another poster board. I then gave the kids sticker dots and they simply put the dots on the dino. They kids had lots of fun and it turned out cute. They were all so proud of the dino art work!

The balloons and streamers were a bit of work but the kids were in awe! They are still up!

LuminousMom
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Just one small idea- costco has a GIANT box of Dino shaped chicken nuggets for under $10.00... probably enough for the party and months beyond, lol! We just bought them and I hate chicken nuggets, but these are good enough even I will eat them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)