Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easter party/hunt ideas ..

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 7:07 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 780 Total Views

We are an army family and we live on base. My dh's unit has a few kids so we were thinking of planning an easter party/ easter egg hunt. I am stumped with ideas ... Only thing I got so far is what I am serving the kids , which will be hotdogs and maybe burgers . We plan on doing this on the saturday before Easter so on Sunday ppl can have their own family day and go to church ... I need help with what crafts to have them make , egg hunt ideas , decorations . I don't want to buy anything thats made , I want to try and do them myself (along with other moms) , store bought would be the last resort lol .. any ideas would be so helpful , thanks !

by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
branda32
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:41 PM

You could do a felt banner like this only spell out Happy Easter as a decoration. You could do it with scrapbook paper instead if you didn't want to use felt.   For our family party we always let the kids color and decorate their own boiled eggs and then the adults hide them while the kids are doing other activities.  My Grams always marks some of them with $ or 25c, etc and whoever finds them gets whatever their eggs add up to.  When we were little she covered the "money eggs" in aluminum foil. It was like finding a sparkly treasure. lol.  And a chocolate easter bunny prize goes to the child with the most eggs and the child with the least eggs.   I'll look around for some more ideas.  I don't know how old your little ones are.  Familyfun.com has Easter coloring page printables. 

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/how-to/how-to-felt-birthday-banner-024302

06-22-07bannertop.jpg

SgtWife0502
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Thanks !

The ages will be from 2-4 , the bigger kids will just be running around they are 9-10 yr olds 

maggie13
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Here are a few sites I like.

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/specialfeature/easter_crafts_ms/ (this is from the disney corporation)

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/easter/ (I like this one because they have word games as well as crafts)

http://www.familycorner.com/family/kids/crafts/hand_print_lamb.shtml

I would check out Martha Stewart and Better Homes & Garden too for decoration things.

Nothing like having the kids color pages of gaint easter eggs, cutting them out, punching two holes (one on each side at the top), running yarn through them and haning them up as garland for decorations.  You can take several of the same eggs and group them going down vertically and hanging it on the door as a welcome sign. Another idea with the colored eggs is to use them as paper placemats or table runners.

One thing, I remember as a kid was my mom making hats from paper construction. She would make a strip long enough to fit over our heads and secure them with a paper clip_making the adjustable. She than would add to cotton balls in the center of the ring, draw on two felt marker eyes, add bunny ears she often either glued them or stapled them, and glued on yarn for whiskers.

She once made milk carton baskets for favors for one of my birthday parties. It was those individual kind they serve for kids at school. they were used and cleaned out. She than cut off the top part, punched two holes in if she was using pipe cleaners but mostly she just would use construction paper and staple them to the containers. She than would add colored grass and some candy to the little baskets. To cover the basket she just used colored construction paper and cut-outs that she drew out.

I remember one birthday she even made us kids play pin the tail on the Easter bunny. Odd yes but it was a hit since we all liked playing pin the tail on the donkey.

I hope you have fun.

Take care.

dawnyz
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 8:00 AM

eggs can be filled with chololates, jelly beans and gift vertifactes for a big prize like a movie or stuffed animal, the decorations could made of construction paper, cut out large eggs and decorate do the same for bunnies, flowers almost anything you could imadine. You caouls all so a craft table with the kids and the constrution paper having the kids make there own eggs from paper for this glue sticks work the best rather than bottles of glue. you dould rndomly cut pieces of paper to decorate ot go to a party store and get a bag of easter confettii and they can glue those as well...if you make the cups cake her are 2 ideas one make cupcake as usuanl frost it a bright srping color and place a peep in the frosting it will holdup, the second is to make and frost cupcake in spring colors then take coconut flakes put them in a siplock baggies add about 2 maybe more drops of green to make grass, place a small amount of "grass" on toup of cup cake and then place a few jelly beans and you have easy Easter cupcake with out all the fussy work. Hope you have fun. and have a great day. I hope this helped a little bit. 

Ezranight
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 8:07 AM

I don't know if anyone said this or not, but in our family, the eggs had candy and a slip of paper in some...the slip of paper said something like 'go see (name) for a surprise'...and some people would give us coins, others, would have bigger pieces of candy, and some, well, some just tried to tickle us, lol...just an idea...

Icon_Quote__JTHM_Nothing_Wrong_by_s.jpg found on deviantart. image by MethylParathion

cudybug
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 8:35 AM

last year i took my kids to an easter egg hunt thru our landlords church.  we arent religous so we dont have a church of our own. Anyways its very cold here on easter normally and last year it was alll snowy so they did it inside. there were alota kids so they used the gym of the local elementry school. I thought it was neat cuz they didnt hide the egs and have them search from them. They set up stations for each age group and had HUGE piles of shredded paper (i guess to resemble grass) and they hid the eggs in it so the kids had to dig thru all these shreded paper to get to them. It was pretty neat except the dust from the paper. I think it was shredded newspaper so it gave off some dust from the older kids getting very carried away. It was pretty neat thogh over all.

Also for the younger ones at our local halloween party they taped  numbers in pumpkins (can use eggs or bunnies) on the floor and played music and the kids walked around to each number and when the music stopped they stopped and a number was drawn from a container and who ever was standing on the number that was called got a cupcake. Of course for the really little ones they just called off the number they were on.

branda32
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM

http://holidays.kaboose.com/easter-party.html    This site has a bunch of Easter games for different ages.  Some of them look like they'd be really fun. 

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 11:32 AM

My friend has an Easter party every year and there are kids of all ages and abilities.  She does an egg hunt with clues to a "family" basket at the end of the hunt.  In your case, maybe it's a picture/recorded message from dad for when he's gone.  My dad did a recording of himself reading several of our favorite books when he was deployed...we listened to that every night!

Each family gets an initial clue to lead them to the next clue.....this way you have the family working as a team and little kids aren't competing with big kids to find an egg.

For activities:

-Relay race carrying an egg on a spoon

-Face painting

-Easter Bunny Says (like Simon says)

-Stained glass windows-easy and inexpensive craft.  You need wax paper crayons, iron and a frame of paper or ribbon.  Little kids just color on the paper...older kids can use crayon shavings.  Cover with another piece of wax paper, iron...voila!  A stained glass window!

jewel4198
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 12:00 PM

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THAT SITE. I WAS SEARCHING AND DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING I LIKED TILL I LOOKED UP THE SITE YOU POSTED AND I LIKE I FOUND GOOD STUFF.

SgtWife0502
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Thank you so much for the ideas ladies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)