Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any ideas for Lent

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 8:22 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 494 Total Views

We'll start preparing for Easter itself soon enough, but I am looking for a few ways to highlight the season of Lent in my home. Is there anything you have done in your home? I thought of making a countdown calendar to highlight all the important days leading to Easter since this is still only the first Sunday of Lent I don't think it's gotten too far away for that. What are you're ideas?

by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mommyocooltwins
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Hi,

Here is something that we started doing in the kids' Sunday school class 2 years ago and we do it now every year at Lent.

40 days of Lent countdown string of beads.

1 string (preferably purple for the main color of Lent)

beads (i have the exact number of beads at home but will outline them here as best I can)

* purple beads for the regular days of Lent the Mondays through Saturdays starting on Ash Wednesday

* special or bigger beads for each Sunday in Lent (not Easter, that one is different) we have large crystal beads for Sundays

* a black bead for Good Friday

* a small red bead for Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday (the Thurs and Sat before Easter)

* Easter Sunday has a bit white bead with a cross on it (we used a cross sticker) and also a small bell - as we ring the bell to signify that Christ has risen on Easter Sunday.

Each night (or every other night as I have twins this makes less fighting), we add a bead to the string to signify what day of Lent we are on.  As we do this we talk about "how did you see God today?" or "what do you think we should pray for today?" or some other thing to signify why we celebrate Lent, based on the age of the child/ren.

The boys love this and get excited for it every year - we've made it a tradition  at our house and is working well. My boys started this at age 5 I think, and are now 7 so this is our 3rd Lent to do it. Makes it fun and you can visually see how close we are/are not to Easter as you see it.

I also read somewhere (need to dig now) about a really neet baking idea to signify Easter about the tomb being empty, and something white you use... I'll have to dig... but hopefully this Lent idea will work for you!

Peace,

Teresa

MNMom247365
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM

What an awesome idea! I am going to do this next year! :) I think it might be too late to start this year! Thanks for sharing!

Quoting Mommyocooltwins:

Hi,

Here is something that we started doing in the kids' Sunday school class 2 years ago and we do it now every year at Lent.

beads (i have the exact number of beads at home but will outline them here as best I can)

* purple beads for the regular days of Lent the Mondays through Saturdays starting on Ash Wednesday

* special or bigger beads for each Sunday in Lent (not Easter, that one is different) we have large crystal beads for Sundays

* a small red bead for Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday (the Thurs and Sat before Easter)

* Easter Sunday has a bit white bead with a cross on it (we used a cross sticker) and also a small bell - as we ring the bell to signify that Christ has risen on Easter Sunday.

Each night (or every other night as I have twins this makes less fighting), we add a bead to the string to signify what day of Lent we are on.  As we do this we talk about "how did you see God today?" or "what do you think we should pray for today?" or some other thing to signify why we celebrate Lent, based on the age of the child/ren.

The boys love this and get excited for it every year - we've made it a tradition  at our house and is working well. My boys started this at age 5 I think, and are now 7 so this is our 3rd Lent to do it. Makes it fun and you can visually see how close we are/are not to Easter as you see it.

I also read somewhere (need to dig now) about a really neet baking idea to signify Easter about the tomb being empty, and something white you use... I'll have to dig... but hopefully this Lent idea will work for you!

Peace,

Teresa

artC1s
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Thanks for the great idea!

ashybaby87
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:12 PM

That's cute!

Quoting Mommyocooltwins:

Hi,

Peace,

Teresa

scout_mom
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM

What a great idea!  I have saved this and plan to use it next year with my preschool class.  I teach at a Lutheran school, but am not Lutheran myself so I'm always looking for ways to add that "touch" to my teaching.  Thanks so much for sharing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)