Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Apprreication Week

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 8071 Total Views

...Is this week, and tomorrow is THE DAY! So I know its so last minute but I have until 200 to figure something out!!

Are there any ideas?? I am in a bind! Oh its for a female Kindergarten teacher who is amazing!

autumn wife of scott

mother of:

KALEB 5YEARS AND JESSE 3YEARS

by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggie13
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 12:07 AM

On one of the post here, some lady wrote how a mother from her students used their finger prints dipped in black paint, and placed on to a clay flower pot. She turned the black dots into ladybugs and then using a marker added their names around the ladybugs. She then filled the clay pot with a plant. I think this was a cute idea.

I know you might not have time to gather all those finger prints but how cute would it be to have the pot done with some cute phrase on it. She could always use the pot on her desk. I will look for the post so you know which one it is.

Have fun.

maggie13
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Here is the link from this group.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/25285/forums/read/8072112/teachers_gift

I hope this works. Take care.

gamomof3kids
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Last year our teacher appreciation was for a week.  Here are so things I did. My son was in pre-k and had two teachers. Sorry for the picture overload. 

I made frames for each of the teachers.

wooden boxes from michael's decorated and filled with smarties

I had another teacher take a picture ot the class and used it with a poem to make a magnet for each teacher

My son used his thumbprints to make the mats of these picture frames.  one of his teachers loved ladybugs and the other butterflies

Target's dollar spot had the metal container, flowers, gloves and garden tools.  He colored the wooden picture holder (from Michaels).  He also painted the flower pot.

We put this basket in the teachers lounge for all the teachers.

Candle found on clearance at michaels.  it is mocha latte flavor, so i attatched a card that said thanks a latte.

M and M thanks

another basket we left in the teacher's lounge

He 'helped' me make a batch of chocolate chip cookies and we placed them in the metal containers.

Hope this helps you!

MelindaD
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Teacher appreciation week/day  is in May the first tuesday in May

N.C. Moms come check out my group  butterfly

http://www.cafemom.com/group/NCMommies

keargo806
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM

wow i love so many of your ideas

Quoting gamomof3kids:

Last year our teacher appreciation was for a week.  Here are so things I did. My son was in pre-k and had two teachers. Sorry for the picture overload. 

I had another teacher take a picture ot the class and used it with a poem to make a magnet for each teacher

My son used his thumbprints to make the mats of these picture frames.  one of his teachers loved ladybugs and the other butterflies

Target's dollar spot had the metal container, flowers, gloves and garden tools.  He colored the wooden picture holder (from Michaels).  He also painted the flower pot.

Candle found on clearance at michaels.  it is mocha latte flavor, so i attatched a card that said thanks a latte.

M and M thanks

He 'helped' me make a batch of chocolate chip cookies and we placed them in the metal containers.

Hope this helps you!

maggie13
by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Quoting keargo806:

wow i love so many of your ideas

Quoting gamomof3kids:

M and M thanks

Hope this helps you!

Me too! bump

KristinaO129
by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I'm so glad the mom who knew teacher appreciation day was in MAY wrote in because I was in a sudden panic as well after reading this. So thanks for the heads up! I checked the calendar, it's officially May 5th (which coincidentally is Cinco de Mayo)

I was doing a little net surfing myself for teacher gift ideas & I've also been on both sides myself as a parent & a teacher aid & often the head classroom parent... I do hear & read a lot about a reoccuring theme that most teachers always seem to get an overflow of apple & school themed gifts from many well-meaning parents. What teachers always want most is just to know that they are appreciated in some way. I know from being on the side of the parent, we're always looking for some meaningful, heartfelt way to show our appreciation and most of us based on being on this group have more creativity than cash, but keep in mind, teachers don't really need 20 mugs or 30 pencil cans. Just try to keep it original & from the heart & most importantly, from the child! (Not necessesarily from your wallet -- this is also coming from a mom who has a tendancy to go overboard because I know how important the job of teaching really is!) Gift certificates & gifts for the classroom are always appreciated as well, (just ask the teachers what is needed for the class, they'll love the offer).

That being said... for teacher appreciation day I'll probably be purchasing a small gift card ($5) to Starbucks for each of my child's teachers (since there's 5 of them) plus a handmade card my son will be helping with and a basket of muffins or some baked goodie for them to share amongst themselves. (If you go with an edible item, just be sure there are no food allergies.) That is just my thought for now anyway -- that could always change as I read more of your brilliant ideas!

I did have to throw 1 "teachery" craft picture on here because I absolutely loved the poem that went with it!

Linkat2000
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 8:33 AM

I will have to say that I agree with the last person who replied.  I am a teacher and I do love all of the handmade gifts.  Unfortunately, they do pile up after a couple of years and you have to get rid of some of them - which makes me feel horrible!  Even though it isn't handmade, a small gift card to starbucks or to anywhere is a great gift.  It makes you feel appreciated and it helps you to not spend that extra 5 dollars of your own money.  Teachers spend so much of their own money on school supplies that it is nuts.  Another idea would be to decorate a big rubbermaid box and put school supplies in it...like fun pens, pencils, notebook paper, folders, spiral notebooks, tape, stickers, candy, etc.  I know I was always in search of another place to store stuff so that would be a great gift I think!  And yes, we love the apple stuff - but as said before...a little goes a long way with the apples.  I don't want anyone to get me wrong though...teachers are appreciative of anything given to them - just some ideas to make it extra special. 

Lindsay Wilson

shanbee
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I love all your ideas.  Could you please tell me what the M & M bottle had printed on it.  I just could not read it.

Thanks

gamomof3kids
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 8:33 AM

M&M Poem

Green is for the inspiration you give to me each day

Blue is for your patience in showing me the way

Orange is for your warm and caring style

Yellow is for the way you can always make me smile

Red is for my life that you have touched this year

You're a very special teacher just like this jar, that's clear

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)