Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

coloring easter eggs question...

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 1:26 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 398 Total Views

How do you color your easter eggs? We usually buy the cheap box of food coloring that uses the tablets and viniger. When the kids are at my mom's house she cracks the hard boiled eggs so that when they are colored the dye will dye the inside of the egg too. It makes a pretty looking egg salad. I was looking for some new ways to dye the eggs.

Thanks

by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bjarrett
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Vinegar and food coloring, crayons, stickers.  We usually give every kid a dozen to do.

Brandi in Missouri

momof2boys9195
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 8:25 PM

We usually buy the Easter Egg dye from the Dollar Store. I do recommend that before you start:

Cover your hands with baby oil and wear those inexpensive plastic (doctor) gloves found at the dollar store.

The gloves will protect your hands from the dye and the oil on the hands will make cleanup easier is the  dye goes through the gloves.

Paula 
momof2boys9195
solitaire3121
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 11:40 PM

We take the dyed eggs and put a strand of glue around the egg and then you sprinkle your favorite glitter on the glue. I have also wrapped eggs in a doily  and then dipped it in the dye. You can either leave the doily on or take it off.  Oh and I have glued different kinds of ribbons and material on the eggs. I have a 3 year old and a 8 month old so I can't get too fancy not that I could anyways...:)  Have fun with your eggs and have a blessed holiday.

KittyD
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 11:40 PM

we just buy the plastic eggs every year lol

KittyD ~ Stop by my page & sign my Guestbook!

mnwintercritter
by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Like a pp I just use the standard food coloring and vinegar. I use regular glass bowls, they have never stained. I also put newspaper down on the kitchen table for clean up but I don't worry about food coloring that staining the hands, its part of the fun.  For drying the eggs I use the very small dixie cups.

sumbeach
by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 3:12 PM

alot of times people dont know this but take a wax crayon , well all of them have some kind of wax in them, take the egg still warm used the crayon and draw a picture of what ever they want, set aside, and let cool. On paper. When all eggs are done, then dye. Its so cute to see the designs that the children create. good look .....and always have fun.

scout_mom
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM

We usually buy some kind of egg coloring kit from the store, but I've also used natural dyes with the kids when we talked about how they had "olden days" Easter.

http://www.lakewinds.com/store/Natural-Egg-Dye-Recipes-W4698C18760.aspx

We have also really painted eggs using water color sets.  Once they dry they are like the egg dyes, but the colors seem brighter.  The girls loved being like the Easter Bunny and really painting eggs. 

Family fun has a lot of neat ways to decorate eggs too, we are planning on trying out a few of these this year.
http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/specialfeature/easter_eggs_ms/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN