Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother's Day Crafts

Posted by   + Show Post

Mothers Day (which is my birthday) is coming up very fast. I normally buy my mom's gifts from the malls , etc , but this year I want to make it very personal. I need some ideas for a Mother's Day gift . Post pics of things you have done. Thanks !

by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Apr. 23, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I think that these are beautiful and easy projects.  I am planning on making these decorative boxes for each of the moms in my family.  I am planning on filling my mother's box with momentos, small photos of her and I as I was growing up and of my own daughter, and small slips of paper with handwritten messages on them about the ideas and values she has passed on to me that make me a good mom to my own little one. 

For my 2 MIL's I will do something similar, but the slips of paper will be things I admire about them.  I am also making a box for my SIL with photos of her and her 2 boys, and I am including a poem on Motherhood, glued to the inside lid of the box.

Here are a few ideas for the box I am thinking of making:

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/jewelry-boxes-from-living?lnc=bf89cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&page=5&rsc=articlecontent_crafts

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=b19d62b323b37110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&backto=true

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/jewelry-boxes?autonomy_kw=boxes&rsc=header_21

hms1223
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM

My grandmother just sent me a clipping from a magazine that is a wind chime made out of plastic tops.

Basically you take a peanut butter jar top and poke 5 holes in a circle around it using a hammer and nail.  Then take about 30-40 plastic bottle tops and paint them different colors.  String them with colored beads in between and put them through the top pulling the strings together at the top to make a hanger.

Really cute and easy!  My boys are going to make these for the grandmom's! 

mommie_b515
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Mother's Day is a special opportunity for children to show their mothers just how much she is appreciated. While mom is grateful for any gift, there is no reason why the gifts children make cannot be extraordinary. Here are some unique gift ideas that moms are sure to love and cherish.

CHOCOLATE SPOONS

Melt chocolate chips, a bit of milk, and a dash of vanilla extract in a microwave. Dip two plastic spoons in the chocolate and let it harden in the refrigerator overnight. Decorate plastic coffee cups by gluing paper flowers on the outside. These flowers can be cut from construction paper or cut out of napkins with spring flowers on them. Once the chocolate on the spoons has solidified, wrap them in plastic wrap. Colored plastic wrap can add an extra flair. Put the wrapped spoons in the cup, and each mother will have a spoon for herself and one to share with the child.

A BOX OF HUGS AND KISSES

Purchase a small plain wooden box with a lid. These are available at craft stores and most discount stores. Have the child paint the box any pastel color. When the box is dry, fill it with Hershey's Kisses and Hugs. Have the child decorate a notecard with XOXOs and use it as a gift tag.

SUNFLOWERS

For these special sunflowers, you will need a small clay pot, green Styrofoam, yellow construction paper, paint, markers, wire sticks or Popsicle sticks, and a picture of the child. Have the child decorate the outside of the pot with paint and markers and set it aside to dry. Cut a sun with triangular rays out of the yellow construction paper. Glue the picture of the child in the center of the sun. If necessary, just cut out the child's face and glue it to the sun. Glue the sun picture to the Popsicle stick (or wire). Press the green Styrofoam into the pot, and insert the Popsicle stick or wire into the foam. Now the child will have a special sunflower to deliver to his mother.

HOTPLATES

On a plain, large ceramic tile, write "I Love You" or Happy Mother's Day" on the top edge with permanent markers. Along the bottom, have the child write his or her name in permanent marker. Apply tempura paint to the child's hand and put a handprint in the center of the tile. Allow the words and paint to dry, and then apply a layer of shellac. This keepsake is not just precious, but highly useful as well!

MOM'S HOMEMADE HAND TOWELS

These hand towels are fun to make and mother's will cherish them. You will need a white hand towel and a few colors of puffy paint. At the bottom of the towel, write the child's name. Thoroughly cover the child's palm and fingers with paint and make a handprint in the center of the towel. The child can make a dotted border at the top and bottom of the towel with her thumbprint. Let the towel dry overnight, and the towel is ready to use. Mom may use if first to dab her tears of joy!

BOOKMARK

Cut out a 2 inch by 8 inch strip of construction paper. Using their fingers and paint, have the child stamp different colored fingerprints on one side of the paper. When the paint is dry have the child draw petals around their fingerprints and stems. An adult may have to draw the petals and stems if the children are too young to complete the flowers themselves. On the opposite side, write, "I love Mommy because..." and fill in the blank with the child's response. Children respond with cute reasons! Seal the bookmark in clear contact paper. Punch a hole in the top with a paper punch and tie a ribbon through it. Moms will love their fingerprint flowered bookmarks and their child's reason why he loves her!

MOTHER'S DAY SACHET

For this project, you will need a garden glove, false fingernails, potpourri, decorative items such as beads, fake flowers, etc., and craft glue. First, stuff the fingers of the glove with cotton balls. Glue the false fingernails on the tips of the glove, and decorate the rest of the glove with beads, flowers, or any other decorative item. Fill the palm portion of the glove with the potpourri, and secure the top with the ribbon.

BRONZED SHOE FLOWER POT

Take an old shoe of the child's and either spray paint it gold or let the child paint it with gold metallic paint. Once the shoe is dry, have the child plant a hearty flower (such as marigolds) in a small paper cup and place it inside the shoe. This is a great memento for moms!

VOTIVE CANDLE

Cut various colors of tissue paper into inch squares. Have the child glue the pieces onto a small, empty clean baby food jar in any fashion he or she wishes. After the glue is dry place a votive candle in the jar. When the candle is lit it is quite pretty.

mommie_b515
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Single Heart  

What you'll need:

1. Salt dough:
    • 1 cup of salt
    • 1 cup of water
    • 2 cups of flour
    • Rolling-pin
    • Pastry-board
    • Bowl
  2. Special heart-shaped pastry cutter
  3. Knife
  4. Thin, wooden/plastic/metal stick
  5. Red thread
  6. Acrylic paints (red and white)
  7. Brush

Hearted Hand

You'll need:

1. Salt dough (see the instructions above)
  2. Your hand
  3. Special, heart-shaped pastry cutter (smaller than the one used in the Single Heart project, since it won't fit in your hand then.)
  4. Seeds
  5. Metal/wooden/plastic stick
  6. Acrylic paint (light pink or flesh colour)
  7. Brush

Double Heart

You'll need:

1. Salt dough (see the instructions above)
  2. 2 special heart-shaped pastry cutters (a bigger and a smaller)
  3. Knife
  4. Thin, wooden/plastic/metal stick
  5. Red thread
  6. Acrylic paints (light and dark red)
  7. Brush

TheHappyMommy
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Hey,

This an awesome idea... i was planning a lady bug themed kiddy party & this is a perfect craft & take home for the kids... i'll just have to do the prep. for most of them & having a few larger examples laying around as yard decor sounds pretty good to me... Thanks for the Link :)

http://crafts.kaboose.com/earth-ladybug-rocks.html

Anna- A.K.A. TheHappyMommy

kissing

McMom1412
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Get a small flower pot; put foam (cut to fit) into pot; hot glue fake grass or yard or whatever looks like grass on top of foam; cut flower shapes and leaf shapes out of construction paper; glue pictures of your kids in the middle of the flowers; glue those flowers on floral wire; and stick wire down into foam in pot.   NOTE: For each flower, I make two flowers the same and glue them back to back around wire and put a picture on both sides of the flower.  You can make as many as you want.  I wish I had a picture to show you what it looks like but it was a GREAT turn out for all moms in my family with their kids.

aidensmomma508
by on May. 3, 2009 at 7:18 PM

I stole your idea and my son made some for his Grammy and Granny!

Quoting NorahSethsMommy:

Last year I bought a terracotta pot and saucer (cost about $1.50 for a nice sized one) and let my kids paint it with acrylic paints...just abstract, different colors. Then I clear coated it and we went to home depot to buy a flower to plant in it (this was for my MIL), but my duaghter decided  we should get a tomato plant. Eventually the tomato plant had to be replanted but it grew nice tomatoes all summer and MIL  planted violets in it. She absolutely loved it and including the plant it cost me less that $5!

teegrumpee
by on May. 3, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Heres a bump so i could find it later!

OldnWiseMom
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Quoting homewithfamily:

If you know anyone that sews here is a cute gift idea.

http://crafts.kaboose.com/pin-cushion.html

A pin cushion made from a tuna can!  Great!  It is so easy and so cute!

Thanks for sharing!

Happy Mother's Day to you!

Click on the Angel to go to Sophie's Sweeties:

Bates
by on May. 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Mine too is on Mothers Day!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN