Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tip for Easter Egg Hunt with more than 1 child

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 312 Total Views

This might not be "news" to any of you with more than one child,  but for years our daughter was the only child at our house who hunted for easter eggs, so it never occurred to me :)

This year we are living in our new house and have room to host Easter (we have always lived in a place too small before). My SIL and her husband and 4 kids (our only neices & nephews) will be coming, which I'm really excited about. SO this will be the first year I'll have more than 1 hunting for easter eggs on Easter morning, and I of course am trying to be fair and make sure everyone gets a fair amount of eggs (since the ages range from 3 - 11). However, because I don't like the idea of letting them find their eggs and then take them away to split them up (which is what has always been done when we have had Easter at the grandparents), I was trying to come up with some other ideas.

SO...when I was buying my new plastic eggs this year (we needed a lot more for 5 kids than for 1! :))...an idea occurred to me when I saw that at Wal-Mart they sell the large bags of eggs for like $2...and in those they have 6 different colors of eggs. I bought a couple bags of those, and then another small bag of metallic eggs in the same colors, and decided that we are going to assign each kid a color to find while they are hunting for eggs (we only need 5 colors, so we just won't use one). This makes it more fair, and in my opinion, more fun & challenging because they might "see" a lot of eggs but to find their individual colors only will make for probably a longer/more fun egg hunt and will make it more challenging. Plus then the older kids aren't scooping up all the 'easy' eggs that are in plain sight and the younger kids are walking away with few in their baskets. All the kids will find the same amount of eggs, and will end up with the EXACT same amount of candy, change, etc.

Just thought I would share incase anyone else was interested :)

Mariah

by on Apr. 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
krissylea77
by on Apr. 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I have 5 kids and this is exactly what I do every year!  It is a lot of fun watching them try to find the eggs especially when they have to find a specific color!

mnwintercritter
by on Apr. 7, 2009 at 9:10 AM

That sounds like it would work very well for a small family event.  We usually do the city event. I give my son a set number he can collect. Which has worked very well for us over the last couple years. On his own without me telling him too once he collects his number he still runs around and collects eggs which he puts in "little" kids baskets to help them out. Its really kind of cute.

Sherlly
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:41 AM

What a GREAT idea! Thanks for the tip!

LucindasMama
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Love this idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN