Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easter egg coloring recipe

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:28 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 274 Total Views

Does anyone know how to make something at home to color eggs? I was thinking maybe food coloring and vinegar, maybe???

by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bookwriter4kids
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:30 PM

That's how we do it!  If you use crayons on the egss first and then color them they look really cool! 

TXMompreneur
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I've used regular food coloring and vinegar many times.  You can also melt some old crayons in boiling water and dip the (already hard-boiled) eggs into it and out quickly to get a "marbleized" look--but that might not be a good idea with very young children.

http://familyfun.go.com/arts=and-crafts/season/specialfeature/easter_eggs_ms/

The website above has lots of good ideas--especially for using natural ingredients to color eggs.  And, if your children are really young, there are some that cook the eggs at the same time they're being dyed, so you can "kill two birds with one stone", so to speak.

Of course, if you're like ME, you thoroughly enjoy decorating the eggs!  My siblings and I decorated eggs all the way through high school!!  I know!!  It sounds stupid, but we liked hard boiled/deviled eggs anyway, and we used to spend ALL DAY decorating eggs!!  Unfortunately, my boys seem to think it's a race to see how fast we can get all the eggs dyed, and that just depresses me!  LOL  Oh, well!

Dawn

(Sorry I couldn't do the hyperlink--our computer crashed Monday morning and we haven't gotten everything back to where it was before.)

livewell
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:02 PM

There is nothing wrong with coloring Easter eggs as a larger child, or even an adult :-) My friends and I, when I was in my twenties, would get together an make Ukrainian eggs that were very complex...

But for the young kids, you can use an old nylon, tiny leaves and tea! Just arrange the leaves on the egg and then have the nylon knotted tightly around the egg to keep them in place. boil water and add a couple of black tea bags then add the eggs and cook.

When you remove the nylon and the leaves, the egg shows the leaf pattern.

I hope these instructions are clear...I just woke up from a nap LOL

Pregnant with our 5th, and he's a boy! Thank goodness we both work from home!Pregnancy ticker

teekaroo
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I've never tried any of these, but they sound fun.  From the farmers almanac

Here are a couple of creative ways to dye Easter eggs.

Marbled Design
Save brown onion skins. Wrap raw eggs in the dry skins, then tie on a layer of cheesecloth to secure them. Hard-boil, let the eggs cool, and then unwrap for a beautiful, marbled, golden design!

Tie-Dyed Easter Eggs
Create uniquely interesting eggs with a tie-dyed look that uses simple rubber bands or strips of cloth. See how to tie-dye your eggs.

To reduce cracking, remove eggs from the refrigerator about a half hour before boiling and, using a needle or pushpin, puncture the shell at the broad end.

Homemade Egg Dye Color Suggestions
Red: red onion skins, pomegranate juice
Green: spinach
Blue: red cabbage
Yellow: yellow mustard, turmeric
Purple: grape juice, blueberries
Pink: cranberry juice, raspberries

momofGus
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 3:18 PM

the leaf in nylon idea stated above works with flowers too- they often leave a colored impression. This is fun to do in the fall with colored leaves. Marthastewart.com has lots of ideas for pretty designs and ways to dye patterns. I'll be dyeing - outside- with my 3 year old. A friend did with her 2 year old using washable markers and watercolor paints on hard boiled eggs without much disaster.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)