Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler playdate themes

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 4:31 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 8070 Total Views

I recently started hosting playdates at my home for 2 year olds. The only theme I have done so far is a pudding playdate- the kids will paint with pudding. Please help me to come up with some fun unique (indoor) themes for these toddler playdates. I'd like to keep it cost effective. Thanks!

by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momoflilangel
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM

You did pudding indoors? How did that go? I have a 2 year old too and would love to do things like this but I am afraid of messes.

mandyliz
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM

lol- yeah I covered my table with paper and taped it all down and stripped the little ones to their diapers. Afterwards, just wipe them down really good with a wet cloth or paper towel and bathe them at night if some pudding got in their hair.

Quoting momoflilangel:

You did pudding indoors? How did that go? I have a 2 year old too and would love to do things like this but I am afraid of messes.

Pregnancy ticker

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

That is awesome, I don't know why I never thought to make my plydates themed...

I will put my thinking cap on!

JeffersonMom
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM

are your playdates over a meal time?  i rember my mom doing pizza themed playdates for us.  she used pita bread for the crust and had the toppings precut.  we all put our own sauce, toppings and cheese on.  put the pizzas on a cookie sheet to bake.  i do this with my 2 year old all the time and he has a blast.

branda32
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 5:54 PM

You are one brave mommy...    I love the pizza idea posted above me. My boys would love that. What about having one with a music theme. You can make shakers out of all kinds of stuff. Empty water bottles with a few dried beans in them, paper plates stapled or glued together with the same dried beans, pots and spoons. I know my little guy loves that song on Madagascar "I like to move it"   and the songs on yo gabba gabba. We have little dance parties just to get rid of energy. (GREAT Excersice lol)   There is a list of ideas on Familyfun.com for making musical instruments http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/crafts-by-age/feature/music-makers/   if you search musical instruments they have other ideas too.  And this tamborine on Martha looks cute too. The other stuff doesn't look very toddler friendly. http://www.marthastewart.com/article/making-music?autonomy_kw=musical%20instuments&rsc=header_4  

mandyliz
by on Apr. 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

thanks for these ideas! I will definatley use them in my upcoming playdates

Pregnancy ticker

tess-n-co
by on Apr. 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM

themed playdates. so fun. i had a mini halloween playdate and the kids frosted and decorated sugar cookies. that was fun. how about making bird feeders. take a pine cone and smear it with peanut butter and cover it with bird seeds. you can have a potting flowers play date. the kids can paint a little flower pot and plant herbs or fast growing plants.

click up there to visit my etsy shop!

KristinaO129
by on Apr. 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM

You can adapt most preschool themes to suit a playdate... you can do an internet search for preschool curriculum and ideas and it should bring up a lot... one thought I had that I've done in my son's classroom that could work if your play dates occur on a fairly frequent basis is the colors theme... one playdate could be red day, encourage the other children & parents to come dressed in the color of the day, for the playdate, you would have snacks or treats that were primarily the theme color (red apples, strawberries, red juice, watermelon, etc.), then you could do color themed activities, (making red play-dough, stringing red beads, making a ladybug craft, etc.). The following playdate, you could choose a new color and have blue day, for instance. It's a great, fun way for kids to start to learn their colors. 

Here's a couple websites that could help, both have a multitude of theme ideas:

www.kidsparkz.com

www.everythingpreschool.com

Hope this helps!

Hugs,

Kristina 

blowing bubbles  

JeffersonMom
by on Apr. 29, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Quoting tess-n-co:

potting flowers play date. the kids can paint a little flower pot and plant herbs or fast growing plants.

use a papper cup, help them to make a face on it.  then fill it with potting soil and plant grass seed.  the grass will be the hair

alliebugg
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I have hosted alot of playdates ranging from 2-5yrs old.. the one that works everytime is the arts & crafts playdate. Just go to your local dollar store or a Michaels and buy random crafts supplies. (Michaels has a kit ready to go in a box it's only $12.99)

GOOD LUCK! & HAVE FUN!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN