Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beyond the Scrapbook Photo Crafts - New ideas added!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello all you creative ladies!

I've been searching for inspiration for miscellanious photo crafts and memorobilia & keepsake crafts that goes beyond the scrapbook. I thought I'd get this thread started so we have a place to share all those great photo craft ideas since mom's always seem to have quite a surplus of photo's around... and we always love to show off our loved ones in fun creative ways.

So please post your photo's and photo craft ideas and/or links to instructions here, I'll be adding some of my favorite ideas I've found to get us started.

Happy crafting & scrapping!

Kristina

shooting photoscrapbooking

by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 1:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
KristinaO129
by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM

In response to Jenner:

• Quote:

How do you get your photos on fabric? i am really interested in doing a graduation quilt for my neice and including some high school memories would be awesome!

JennerP

Most fabric & craft stores carry iron-on transfer paper that you print your photo directly onto with your home printer (or you can go to a print shop, like Kinko's or Staples), then iron it onto your fabric. Note, if there is any writing in the photo, you will need to use a photo software program (such as photoshop) to make a reverse image or mirror image. (Or some copy machines also have this function). If you do not have this capability, usually the print shops can do this for you. Now, forewarning... not all transfer paper is created equal. Some brands are better than others. (This is where you sometimes have to pay the higher price to get the better quality). If this is something that will be washed in the future (as opposed to just a decorative quilt), it is even more important to use a good transfer that will hold up to washings, but be sure to tell your neice to use a gentle cycle & do not leave in the dryer for a long period, (remove while still slightly damp to prevent cracking). You will probably want to experiment with transfer papers first on some scrap material (made of the same fabric you'll be using), to be sure you get a good transfer.  Keep your receipt, if the tranfer paper you purchase doesn't work well for you, you can return it & exchange for a different type.  

Hope this works well for you & be sure to take a picture & share it with us when you finish your quilt. :)

specialcraftmom
by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 4:25 PM

My Best Friend made one similar to the block letters on a stand.  She found the word Family in black at Hobby Lobby. Hope this is helpful (: 

keargo806
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM

this is stamping candles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twWA5G6oLP4

for the photo candles i just print the picture onto regular computer paper! cut and heated it on the candle with a hairdryer and wax paper.

but i like the stamp candle as well, it would make a great gift! or even a baby shower center piece along with a wedding center piece as well.

Quoting keargo806:

dont forget the photo candles:

or the photo cube (from the martha stewart christmas ornaments):

maryw24
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I made the photo suncatcher. Actually, I made two. They are beautiful and pretty easy once you get the hang of what your doing. I found the acrylic panels and the transparency paper at Hobby Lobby in the scrapbooking section. You don't have to have colored acrylic either, actually, I think it looks better with clear, but I suppose if you were using black and white photos, the colored acrylic would look pretty good. Instead of the book rings, I used "thumbs up" paper clips, worked just as well.

KristinaO129
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Looks AWSOME!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Quote:

• maryw24
  • by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 4:33 PM
  • I made the photo suncatcher. Actually, I made two. They are beautiful and pretty easy once you get the hang of what your doing. I found the acrylic panels and the transparency paper at Hobby Lobby in the scrapbooking section. You don't have to have colored acrylic either, actually, I think it looks better with clear, but I suppose if you were using black and white photos, the colored acrylic would look pretty good. Instead of the book rings, I used "thumbs up" paper clips, worked just as well.

maryw24
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Thanks!! I love them, I think they are just beautiful and these pictures just don't do them justice!!

Shawna86
by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I want to make the sun catchers I think they would make a AWESOME christmas gift for my mil and dh's grandma and my grandma

maryw24
by on Oct. 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM

PHOTO KEYCHAINS

2 keytag keychains

1 sheet of scrapbook paper

letter stickers

resized photos

letter beads

glue sticks

Use the card that comes inside the keytags as a template to cut out two pieces of scrapbook paper. Glue them together with wrong sides together. Place letter sticker on one end of scrapbook paper.

Resize two photos to about 1"x1" (you could also use index prints) Print, cut out and use glue stick to glue photos to scrapbook paper (one on each side) Insert paper into keytag. Use letter beads to spell out name or words and put them on ball keychain that came with keytags and there you have it!!!

I got this idea from the book Memories in Miniature by Pamela Frye Hauer (great book)

I made one for myself, my sil and my mom. (sorry the pictures didn't turn out very well)

jenny53669
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 1:57 PM

i love these....have since the day i seen the article in womansworld......quick question.....when you use the clear acrylic does the colors in the picture show thru? thanks sooooo much!! they look great!!

Quoting maryw24:

I made the photo suncatcher. Actually, I made two. They are beautiful and pretty easy once you get the hang of what your doing. I found the acrylic panels and the transparency paper at Hobby Lobby in the scrapbooking section. You don't have to have colored acrylic either, actually, I think it looks better with clear, but I suppose if you were using black and white photos, the colored acrylic would look pretty good. Instead of the book rings, I used "thumbs up" paper clips, worked just as well.

maryw24
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Yes, the colors show through, they really are beautiful!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN