Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you help me figure out how to duplicate an item?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 767 Total Views

I would like to give this to my brother for his wedding gift, but I want to make it. How would you ladies suggest going about it? What tools would I need? It would be easier to cut out the letters and layer them on top, but I would prefer to cut them out of the paper for the visual effect. The names in the middle I don't mind layering on top. Thanks for any suggestions!

by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LittleLeary
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I would cut the letters out of something thick, like frame mats (maybe from a local frame shop).

Also thought you could do it in a shadow box or without front glass, and use 1" thick cardboard letters, that you could decorate.  I've seen them at crafts stores.

Ribbonlady
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Find someone who has a "Cricut" machine and see if s/he would be willing to help you cut out the letters and heart.  The Cricut is a die-cutting machine that does exactly what you want to do.  Depending on the size of the picture, you may need access to one of the larger Cricut machines (some cut smaller sizes, some larger). 

If you have a scrapbooking store in your area they may have a die cutting machine that they'll let you use for a small fee. They also carry stickers and rub-ons that you could use for the names.

Worst case scenario, get a matte knife,some blades and a cutting mat.  Keep a very sharp blade in the knife and cut the letters yourself, using a template of some sort perhaps?

Have fun; very nice project.

Debbie, the ribbon lady at http://www.reasonableribbon.com

Loveleelambs
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:23 PM

if you cut them by hand you can use a fine nail file to sand the edges

Lee Anna

wendyms
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Quoting Ribbonlady:

Find someone who has a "Cricut" machine and see if s/he would be willing to help you cut out the letters and heart.  The Cricut is a die-cutting machine that does exactly what you want to do.  Depending on the size of the picture, you may need access to one of the larger Cricut machines (some cut smaller sizes, some larger). 

If you have a scrapbooking store in your area they may have a die cutting machine that they'll let you use for a small fee. They also carry stickers and rub-ons that you could use for the names.

Worst case scenario, get a matte knife,some blades and a cutting mat.  Keep a very sharp blade in the knife and cut the letters yourself, using a template of some sort perhaps?

Have fun; very nice project.

Thanks for the multiple suggestions. I knew you ladies would come through for me!

wendyms
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Quoting Loveleelambs:

if you cut them by hand you can use a fine nail file to sand the edges

Lee Anna

I was thinking of cutting them by hand, but I didn't think it was a good option because it would not look polished. Thanks for the great tip. I just may be able to pull it off......and inexpensively! 

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Jun. 24, 2009 at 10:38 AM

If you are going to cut the letters out make sure you use a nice sharp exacto knife.  The sharper the blade the more exact the cuts.  You could also buy precut chipboard letters,  they aren't too costly and you can use them for all kinds of projects.  You can also buy a heart shaped craft punch if you want a more exact cut for the photo.  Good luck!

bethruffino
by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Good Luck! My family runs a picture framing store, and that's a minimum $60 mat with no frame (they have to use specialized cutters to do things like that).... I would see if I could find one that's mass produced or try a cricut (although I don't know if it would make the letters big enough). 

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Jun. 26, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I guess it would really depend on if you are making it to scale...  You can buy a frame very inexpensively at target, walmart, or even the dollar store.  There are many ways to get the "look" of this type of project without having to invest in a custom framing or a cricut machine...

You can do very simple projects like these using a little creativity and your own two hands :)

Scrappers have been making pages like these for decades before all of the nifty cutting machines, computer programs, and fancy tools ever existed....

With a little thought and a little creativity and mabe some trial and error you can get result very similar to those of the fancy machines.  It just takes a steady hand, practice, and a little ebow grease:)

As I said in my previous post an exacto knife is a very useful tool when making art from paper!  I will look around and see if I can find and scrapping links I can recommend...

good

Quoting bethruffino:

Good Luck! My family runs a picture framing store, and that's a minimum $60 mat with no frame (they have to use specialized cutters to do things like that).... I would see if I could find one that's mass produced or try a cricut (although I don't know if it would make the letters big enough). 

momof3ladies
by on Mar. 25, 2010 at 12:06 PM

The hobby stores, Michaels and Hobby Lobby carry 12x12 scrapbook frames (shadowboxes) like the one pictured.  And, the larger cricut can cut that entire mat out in one swoop with the letters that size.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)