Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fourth of July Crafts for Kids... *UPDATED*

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 10:27 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1620 Total Views

I just wanted to start a thread for all of your lovely craft ideas for us to make with our kids.  Please post your 4th of july kids craft ideas here!

***this post is for craft ideas you have found or created to get us going... not to debate free crafting or following craft projects.  it is merely ment to get our creative juices flowing***

Here are some great links to get you started!

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/specialfeature/july-4th-crafts/

http://holidays.kaboose.com/july-4/

http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/fourth-of-july/

http://www.artistshelpingchildren.org/4thfourthofjulypatrioticartscraftsideaskids.html

http://home.howstuffworks.com/fourth-of-july-crafts-for-kids.htm

july 4th

by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
noncraftsmom
by on Jun. 25, 2009 at 3:55 PM

This is my first time posting here and I 'm not sure how my ideasare going to be received.

I know that most crafters follow directions and the crafts come out lookin the same.

There are ways to do crafts with kids that give the children paremeters of the crafts and then allow them to create it totally on their own.

For example: For fourth of July, You can cut out a rectangular piece of tagboardr and then even cut out the triangle at the end to make it look more like a flag.

You can then give your child all of the materials that SUGGEST July fourth without telling them exactly how to do it.

Red and white ribbons, red white and blue strings, cut out stars in red white and blue, red white and blue tissue paper, markers in red white and blue.(the adults creativity is by choosing MATERIALS for them to use)

This way everyone gets the idea that its a flag, its July4th as its all red white and blue, but the children are creating on their own at their own developmental level.

You can then add a dowel to the end and tape it down and voila! thier very own July 4th flag.

You won't believe how differntly different age children will create.

They will also love the opportunity to create on thier own(Unless they are so used to copying exact directions that they fear to do things wrong)

xosparklesxo
by on Jun. 29, 2009 at 6:21 AM

Quoting noncraftsmom:

This is my first time posting here and I 'm not sure how my ideasare going to be received.

I know that most crafters follow directions and the crafts come out lookin the same.

You know, there are very, very few projects I copy exactly.  Sure, I will follow a crochet or sewing pattern, but most things I add my own spin on!  I buy magazines with all kinds of cards and paper crafting, but rarely am I buying them thinking that I'll actually buy the specific stamps, cardstock, etc.  I get general ideas and inspirations and go from there adding my own colors and touches, etc.  For me, specific projects are often about learning new techniques and nothing more.  I like to take things and make them my own!

I think it's great to encourage children to have some free form creativity too!  A lot of children's craft kits do allow that though!  I have seen many things that offer lots of possibilities for creative decorating that isn't too restrictive, especially if you have additional basic craft supplies on hand.

So, I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in this way of thinking at all!

Amber, a very artsy, craftsy kinda homemaker!  Always busy with something new!  Check out my blogs to follow my journey and get great tips on everything from green cleaning to budgeting to craft ideas!  My Enthusiastic Housewife Blog!
My Staying Crafty Blog!

Loveleelambs
by on Jun. 30, 2009 at 8:25 AM

I loe this idea free creativity is one of my favorites. yesterday my kids and I did self portraits. I gave them tag board google eyes and colorings stuff!! they cam out so cool. my dughter pick different size eyes! It was great. they are one of my favorites for their portfolio

busybees124
by on Jun. 30, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Quoting noncraftsmom:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that the ladies in this group are very creative!  We follow instructions when a certain outcome is desired but there are many posts along the line of "I made this up, what do you all think?".  Welcome to the group!

noncraftsmom
by on Jun. 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM

The truth is what you guys are doing by taking  crafts ideas and using all kinds of other idea to spark your own creativity is the height of creativity. The truth is I used to think that artists only draw from memory. When I learned that they use other pcitures and items for inspiration it was an eye opener for me.

Problem is if you look at most crafts for kids websites online, MOST of them are full of copycat crafts for kids to follow. I was a preschool teacher for many years and this is rampant in early childhood classrooms.

Of course the goal is to do what you guys are doing with crafts, take an idea and expand on it.

Faige

www.educationalartsandcrafts.com/blog

3are_a_blessing
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Happy 4th weekend!

We just came up with this today--very simple and last minute!

If you want the scoop on exactly how we did it, you can see my blog post here.

Maybe this could also be used as a centerpiece?

Ideas are always popping into my head.  They range from craft ideas to recipes to the plight of the modern woman.  Some I write about for others to read, while others I keep to myself.  Anyone who thinks moms don't use their brains is absolutely wrong!

carrie_grace
by Group Owner on Jul. 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM

very cute! love it!

Quoting 3are_a_blessing:

Happy 4th weekend!

busybees124
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Cute!  I bet this idea could work for all the holidays --- now I just have to remember it!!  LOL

Quoting 3are_a_blessing:

Happy 4th weekend!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)