Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any one have any super easy crafts

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 10:50 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 856 Total Views

For my two year old.  She has a slight speech delay not real bad but she still dont take simle directions well.  I really want to do fun stuff with her before the summer is over Any ideas appreciated you guys.

by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
misst_dwn
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 9:48 AM

My two and a half year old also has a speech delay.  He is blind so I'm alway trying to come up with fun crafts because to little children everything is a learning experience.

How about making play dough.  Just talk talk talk to her all the time about every little thing that you are doing.  Then afterwards you can have her follow simple instructions like, roll the dough, pat it, pull it, we even put little beads or glitter in ours.

Or, dump a bunch of rice in a container and let her hide and seek toys.  Right now we have farm animals in ours and he has to identify the animals and/or make their sound.  This was also helpful when he was learning shapes.

We also do noisy finger painting.  Since he can't actually see colors I try to make sure he gets some sense that there is a difference between the pots of paint. You can use instruments or just make up sounds, its pretty important to be consistant, like if you shake a rattle for red then until the game is over you should only use the rattle for red. 

With speech delay I think the goal is to get them talking or noise making as much as possible. 

make up dances to her favorite songs

play music ALL the time

use positive reinforcement

Sorry for such a long response but I just couldn't believe that this post was viewed so many times and no one had  any idea of some simple crafts to do with a two year old.

April_5
by on Aug. 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM

thanks so much I love all these ideas

Quoting misst_dwn:

My two and a half year old also has a speech delay.  He is blind so I'm alway trying to come up with fun crafts because to little children everything is a learning experience.

How about making play dough.  Just talk talk talk to her all the time about every little thing that you are doing.  Then afterwards you can have her follow simple instructions like, roll the dough, pat it, pull it, we even put little beads or glitter in ours.

Or, dump a bunch of rice in a container and let her hide and seek toys.  Right now we have farm animals in ours and he has to identify the animals and/or make their sound.  This was also helpful when he was learning shapes.

We also do noisy finger painting.  Since he can't actually see colors I try to make sure he gets some sense that there is a difference between the pots of paint. You can use instruments or just make up sounds, its pretty important to be consistant, like if you shake a rattle for red then until the game is over you should only use the rattle for red. 

With speech delay I think the goal is to get them talking or noise making as much as possible. 

make up dances to her favorite songs

play music ALL the time

use positive reinforcement

Sorry for such a long response but I just couldn't believe that this post was viewed so many times and no one had  any idea of some simple crafts to do with a two year old.

lydiaharper
by on Aug. 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM

My DS2 just turned three.  He loves to have art time.  I have a small rubbermaid container with paper (and paper scraps), glue sticks, crayons, safety scissors, pipe cleaners, and pretty much ANYTHING that can be colored or glued!!  I just let him have at it.  He will cut out shapes and glue them to another piece of paper.  Make shapes or figures with the pipe cleaners.   Add stickers!  Its just a good way for him to use his imagination while learning. 

We have also made goop before.  Just mix cornstarch with some water.  It will be stiff in the bowl, then when he grabs a handfull of it is just oozes through his fingers!!  Really fun stuff (we used to make it when I was a kid!)

Lydia

SAHM to 3 kids, DS1(Jayson), DS2(Jaymie), and DD(Jayden), wife to Sheriff's Deputy David since 2002.
AngelaRosenthal
by on Jul. 6, 2010 at 2:55 PM
u could try plastic lace from the craft section and than string fruit loops thru it to make necklace or bracelet. while putting them on u can practice naming the colors. my 6 & 3 year olds love this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)