Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handmade halloween costume ideas (2009)

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wanted to get the ball rollong on this years post for all of your great handmade costume ideas, links, and photos, please post them here :)

witch

by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 6:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
mammaof3girls
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM

No one here is sure what they want to be, but Im thinking it will be between these (I make them something similar, so its like a mini parade when they are walking!! LOL):

rag dolls

bubble bees

fairies

bjarrett
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I can't believe we didn't get pictures, but a few years ago I was a Christmas Tree.  Made out of a table cloth , I "hung" garland and ornaments , couldn't really figure out lights....

And a few years before that I bought my daughter and I pink sweat outfits and painted "oink, oink" all around it. 

Both were a hit!    I told my husband we should be a "farm" this year , he could be a cow, I could be a sheep, our daughter could be a pig , and son could be a baby chick!  lol.....

Brandi in Missouri

fairysurreale
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I was thinking of doing that (modifying the egg pattern) but I want to make sure that there isn't a penguin pattern floating around out there.  My SIL did find me one on this website:

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11532

The only problem with that costume is that it doesn't seem made for the cold fall nights that we have here in MA.

Quoting justgrape723:

can you use the egg pattern and modify it with wings and a beak and face?? Maybe you could find another type of bird and modify it.

I personally cannot read a pattern so I would just kinda wing it (no pun intended)  I know I made my son a chicken costume I will try to post pics later today

Quoting fairysurreale:

My DD is going to be a penguin (think Happy Feet) and my DS is going to be her egg.  I am just having a tough time finding a penguin pattern (the egg I had no issue finding).  

mary312
by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Last year my grandsons were too little to walk so we fixed up a wagon and incorporated an "animal" theme 

Mary

justgrape723
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Quoting fairysurreale:

I was thinking of doing that (modifying the egg pattern) but I want to make sure that there isn't a penguin pattern floating around out there.  My SIL did find me one on this website:

The only problem with that costume is that it doesn't seem made for the cold fall nights that we have here in MA.

Quoting justgrape723:

can you use the egg pattern and modify it with wings and a beak and face?? Maybe you could find another type of bird and modify it.

I personally cannot read a pattern so I would just kinda wing it (no pun intended)  I know I made my son a chicken costume I will try to post pics later today

Quoting fairysurreale:

My DD is going to be a penguin (think Happy Feet) and my DS is going to be her egg.  I am just having a tough time finding a penguin pattern (the egg I had no issue finding).  

this is the chicken costume I made my son a few years ago. you might be able to get a few ideas from it. I too have to be mindful of cool/cold weather here in upstate NY. I made this costume so he could wear it over any type of clothing

I used a baseball cap. for the eyes of the chicken (you can't really see them in this pic) I glued googl-ey eyes to the front of the hat. I put orange felt on the bill of the hat for the chicken's bill/mouth and put 2 black holes on it for nose holes. I used 1/2 a styrofoam ball for the feathers on top of the hat and the other 1/2 of the ball for the butt feathers, hot glue gunned both of those. I used the yellow dish-washing gloves for the feet, cut a hole in the palm of the hand (cut off the thumb. glued hole closed)  slid over shoe glue gunned those stuffed fingers with cotton to make then come up off the ground and to look more "chicken-ey" I used foam board for the wings (they kind of blend in here in the pic) I hot glued feathers on the top side of foam board.I make yellow "leggings" to make his legs look chicken colored and to cover up what ever pants he was wearing.With a little imagination and some modifying you could make a penguin costume like I did for the chicken. G/L

did you google "penguin halloween costume pattern"? I saw that simplcity had one but forgot to write it down I will look later if I can.

justgrape723
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM

this was my sons costume in 2006. Its super easy, really quick. can be put together in less than 15 minutes drying time is what takes the longest.  to make costs less than $3.00 to make. he was a LEGO 

I went to the grocery store and got a cardboard box and some deli containers (can use pudding , yogurt or fruit cup containers) I also used one of my sons shoe boxes from his new school shoes. You will need 1 can of spray paint and a hot glue gun.

in the big box cut 2 arm holes,  a head hole and big hole in the bottom for the legs, you will want one big hole for easier movement. also make sure box is not too long as it is hard for them to lift knees to go up steps. Tape shoe box to a baseball hat (they wear the hat backwards. glue 8 containers to the front of the big box and 4 to the top (it's really the bottom of the shoe box but they way it sits on the baseball hat it now becomes the top)

spray paint the whole thing with spray paint use as many coats of paint as you can . letting each coat dry before the next is applied. It helps if they wear the same colored sweatpants as the paint color so they blend into the Lego

it was a rare hot fall day in upstate NY . Here is our LEGO in the school parade holding hands with daddy.

justgrape723
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Quoting mary312:

Last year my grandsons were too little to walk so we fixed up a wagon and incorporated an "animal" theme 

what a great idea !! I love it !!! I bet it was the hit of the night !!

fairysurreale
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 8:53 AM

That is so cute.  And yes, it gave me a great idea for the penguin costume.  I did google it but didn't find anything.  I am going to try again.  Thank you for sharing your pictures =) 

Quoting justgrape723:

Quoting fairysurreale:

Quoting justgrape723:

Quoting fairysurreale:

this is the chicken costume I made my son a few years ago. you might be able to get a few ideas from it. I too have to be mindful of cool/cold weather here in upstate NY. I made this costume so he could wear it over any type of clothing

I used a baseball cap. for the eyes of the chicken (you can't really see them in this pic) I glued googl-ey eyes to the front of the hat. I put orange felt on the bill of the hat for the chicken's bill/mouth and put 2 black holes on it for nose holes. I used 1/2 a styrofoam ball for the feathers on top of the hat and the other 1/2 of the ball for the butt feathers, hot glue gunned both of those. I used the yellow dish-washing gloves for the feet, cut a hole in the palm of the hand (cut off the thumb. glued hole closed)  slid over shoe glue gunned those stuffed fingers with cotton to make then come up off the ground and to look more "chicken-ey" I used foam board for the wings (they kind of blend in here in the pic) I hot glued feathers on the top side of foam board.I make yellow "leggings" to make his legs look chicken colored and to cover up what ever pants he was wearing.With a little imagination and some modifying you could make a penguin costume like I did for the chicken. G/L

did you google "penguin halloween costume pattern"? I saw that simplcity had one but forgot to write it down I will look later if I can.

karanmi
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Here is a great site with lots of ideas for costumes.  I have done the cereal killer, the static cling ones myself from here.

darn can not get it to post.  

I am a cook and a few years ago I dresseed up as the Pillsbury Dough boy.. Was easy and very inexpensive. I wore a large white steatshirt and sweat pants. Stuffed my selfl with pillows. Wore a chefs hat and added a blue felt P to my shirt.  Don't forget to pat white powder all over your face too.

mammaof3girls
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Weve decided to be bumble bees. Im going to try to find a costume for myself too, and put felt letters across my backside saying "queen bee" LOL. Hopefully no one changes their minds!!! LOl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)