Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handmade halloween costume ideas (2009)

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wanted to get the ball rollong on this years post for all of your great handmade costume ideas, links, and photos, please post them here :)

witch

by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 6:39 AM
Replies (21-30):
blondenak
by on Aug. 24, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Last year my middle boy was a mummy.  I didn't make the costume myself, a friend did, but it was the most awesome mummy costume I have ever seen!  I found a hat and glove set at Walmart that was mummy to top it off.  It's white long johns with muslin sewn in strips (loosely hand sewn) all around it.  When you wash it the muslin frays.  

Ok-the photo I could find he's wearing a friends clown wig..lol  But you can see the gloves.

blondenak
by on Aug. 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM

We layered under it-it typically snows on Halloween here in Northern NV.  In the sleeping photo you can see the hat and gloves.  I LOVE the way the muslin frays and drapes down.  It wouldn't be hard to make at all!  My friend that made it says she's not crafty in any way.  It's CUTE! 

This is trick or treat street with daddy.

emtgirl885
by on Aug. 24, 2009 at 4:16 PM

That is so cute!

Quoting mary312:

Last year my grandsons were too little to walk so we fixed up a wagon and incorporated an "animal" theme 

eskimokissesXO
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Last year, I dressed my son up as a scarecrow. I had just been layed off from work and didn't have any extra money. Got all the stuff at Hobby Lobby for like 10 bucks.I used some overalls that were too little and a shirt from his closet. The leaf on his face was a scrapbooking sticker. Oh, and the felt was sticky on one side so when I took it off his good shirt, it didn't leave any marks! It was SOOO much fun. Now, I have to find something for my son who is now 2 1/2 and my son who is 7 months. Lol. My hubby wants me to find a family theme.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
misst_dwn
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Last year Trent was Jack the pumpkin king off of Tim Burton's Nighmare Before Christmas.  He was a huge hit especially with the adults.   He walked around all night singing the songs from the movie. 

The mask is made from paper mache, chalk lines on his suit washed out easy the next day, bow-tie is made from a wooden bat from Hobby Lobby and scraps of black fabric and pipe cleaners. A skeleton shirt and gloves and a skeleton trick or treat head.  This was a fun costume but it took a couple of days to do the mask.  Zero (the ghost dog) is a pillow case with a ballon head and a yarn pompom nose.

This year he has requested a wizard costume. 

cudybug
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 10:00 AM

last year i actually made my daughters the night before her party. SHe was a bee and so was my son. his was store bought cuz he was just a baby and hers i made a black and yellow tutu and tied yellow ribbon around her chest and belly over a black shirt. Made antenas from a head band and black ppe cleaners. SHe was the talk of the party hahaha and i just wung it the night before. IM thinking of doing a tutu again cuz i love making tutus so maybe a lady bug or a butterfly BUT i dunno what my son would be and i like the idea of keeping them a theme ya know. Maybe he can be a frog and her a lady bug. cuz frogs eat ladybugs yea know and he likes to beat her up. If i could find a caterpiller costume for him that would be awsome she could be a butterfly

ctfagan
by on Sep. 5, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Thanks for posting these pictures... My kids both asked to be scuba divers for halloween(They are big into sharks) and I could not figure out the "tank" Thanks for the idea!!!!!

UGA-wifey
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM

DS is going to be a scarecrow this year and this will be my first time attempting to make his costume! Or anything clothing wise for that matter, so wish me luck! LOL

UGA-wifey
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Thank you for posting this. My ss is wanting to be Jack this year and if he winds up trick or treating with us I wanted o try and make it! Very good job!

Quoting misst_dwn:

Last year Trent was Jack the pumpkin king off of Tim Burton's Nighmare Before Christmas.  He was a huge hit especially with the adults.   He walked around all night singing the songs from the movie. 

The mask is made from paper mache, chalk lines on his suit washed out easy the next day, bow-tie is made from a wooden bat from Hobby Lobby and scraps of black fabric and pipe cleaners. A skeleton shirt and gloves and a skeleton trick or treat head.  This was a fun costume but it took a couple of days to do the mask.  Zero (the ghost dog) is a pillow case with a ballon head and a yarn pompom nose.

This year he has requested a wizard costume. 

JakiGurl
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM

i made all of these with fabric from wal mart as a beginer sewer, just used a shirt from each person for measurements, I glued on the black spots and made pebbles bone out of craft clay also from walmart and held it in her hair with a hair tie. my necklace was a bag of foam balls from wall mart that i squished on the floor to mishape. It was a very fun group costume and everyone loved it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN