Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handmade halloween costume ideas (2009)

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wanted to get the ball rollong on this years post for all of your great handmade costume ideas, links, and photos, please post them here :)

witch

by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 6:39 AM
Replies (31-40):
AngelaRosenthal
by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 8:54 AM

my boys were pirates last year. all I did was get a pair of brown sweat pants cuts the bottoms about 4" off and jagged use a white button down shirt and took scrap red and blue fleece to make a tied belt over the shirt.

Quoting carrie_grace:

My daughter is 2 this year and already really excited about dressing up for halloween.  Right now she is waffling between being a pirate and being a butterfly... every time I ask her what she wants to be she answers with one of those two costume ideas.

Her are a few links I have found so far for kids pirate and butterfly patterns:

this is the pattern i was thinking of using for her pirate costume

http://simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3680

and these are a few geat tutorials I found about making butterfly costumes:

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/more-winged-costumes?autonomy_kw=kids%20pirate%20costume

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/new-butterfly-costume?autonomy_kw=butterfly%20costume

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=6408c137bf22f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

pirate

ilovepink1220
by on Sep. 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Chloe (1 month old) my lil black kitty. I bought the onzie but made her tutu and head piece.

Peyton 2 my lil monkey eating a banana. He didnt have his ears on. This was made from just brown geranimals sweats. I sewn felt on for the tummy, The hair around the neck and tip of tail was some form of pachaged hair from walmart. There was a little peice of metal hanger in teh tail to keep it up.

Caden 8 was a mad scientist. His coat was from a thrift store.

Photobucket
auroragold
by on Sep. 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I can't believe that some of you have decisions made already! WOW!! My DD has changed her mind weekly so I gave her until 10/1 to decide.  Right now she's leaning toward something she calls "Pumpkin Child".

Last year I made a mermaid costume for her (not a Disney Ariel costume).  No pattern but I think it came out rather cute. Most people thought she was Mother Nature (I think the headband did that).  

I always need to have a costume that can be worn OVER clothes because trick or treat at night in Massachusetts is usually chilly!

The string at the bottom was a loop that went around her wrist so the tail didn't drag

And the bra top was one of those hula girl/luau bras made from fake greenery. I just added MORE (and lots of sea shells)

SamsMom24
by on Sep. 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM

ya'll look great!! good job

Quoting JakiGurl:

i made all of these with fabric from wal mart as a beginer sewer, just used a shirt from each person for measurements, I glued on the black spots and made pebbles bone out of craft clay also from walmart and held it in her hair with a hair tie. my necklace was a bag of foam balls from wall mart that i squished on the floor to mishape. It was a very fun group costume and everyone loved it!

Jacylrin
by on Sep. 15, 2009 at 8:14 AM

I figured last year was my one and only chance to put Miriya in a costume with no feet, so I made a hot pepper costume out of polar fleece. When I'd looked into buying one, I had a hard time finding one in her size (they were too small) since she was big for 7 and a half months.I made it oversize so she could wear it to bed for a while, since she is an expert at kicking off her blankets. It zippered in the back. I didn't have a pattern, I just winged it.

danssugarbabe
by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Shaleigh was a pumpkin her first year 06 (no I didn't make the costume I'm not a sewer.)

For her 2nd 07 one she was a fairy princess (the tutu was bought by my brother and sister-in-law in Dallas.)

Last year 08 she was a lady bug (when I first saw the costume I thought was a great idea for an ice skater....I didn't realize it was a lady bug until they pulled it down).

This year she will be a honey bee....the costume has a black tutu type skirt, a yellow and black stripped shirt, wings, black and yellow stripped leggings, and atennas.  I think she will be adorable.

MY PRINCESS

jgal29
by on Sep. 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Quoting fairysurreale:

My DD is going to be a penguin (think Happy Feet) and my DS is going to be her egg.  I am just having a tough time finding a penguin pattern (the egg I had no issue finding).  

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewingpatterns.pl?patternid=16628

jgal29
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 12:31 PM
justgrape723
by on Sep. 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

your welcome....glad I could help....post pics when the costumes are done !!

Quoting ctfagan:

Thanks for posting these pictures... My kids both asked to be scuba divers for halloween(They are big into sharks) and I could not figure out the "tank" Thanks for the idea!!!!!

justgrape723
by on Sep. 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Quoting JakiGurl:

i made all of these with fabric from wal mart as a beginer sewer, just used a shirt from each person for measurements, I glued on the black spots and made pebbles bone out of craft clay also from walmart and held it in her hair with a hair tie. my necklace was a bag of foam balls from wall mart that i squished on the floor to mishape. It was a very fun group costume and everyone loved it!

love love love them !! awesome job !!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)