Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handmade halloween costume ideas (2009)

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wanted to get the ball rollong on this years post for all of your great handmade costume ideas, links, and photos, please post them here :)

witch

by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 6:39 AM
Replies (41-50):
Mommyocooltwins
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Last year was one of the first times my twins did not go as a "set" of something.

Last year Matthew LOVED Wall-E - so we made that out of what else, a big cardboard box and some safety goggles and gray gloves taped to make the pinchy hands.

Nicholas was all about Handy Manny, so we got a green shirt and made our own Handy Manny logo - then my husband bought a painters white hat and let Nicky decorate it by coloring it red to make it look like Manny's hat - and the best part, the most fun, was that we got to borrow my nephew's toy tools and we glued on googly eyes to make them look like the tools on the show.

Here they are with Mommy in the middle:

Teresa

Proud Mommy of Nicholas and Matthew, wife to Tom

Photomom24
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM

How about a combo of both lol kind of a Pirate butterfly or a butterfly pirate?  that thought popped into my head as I was reading your post..probably why Tinkerbell is so popular now lol kidding.

Qivarys
by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 12:41 AM

This is so CUTE! Love the seaweed!

Quoting auroragold:

I can't believe that some of you have decisions made already! WOW!! My DD has changed her mind weekly so I gave her until 10/1 to decide.  Right now she's leaning toward something she calls "Pumpkin Child".

Last year I made a mermaid costume for her (not a Disney Ariel costume).  No pattern but I think it came out rather cute. Most people thought she was Mother Nature (I think the headband did that).  

I always need to have a costume that can be worn OVER clothes because trick or treat at night in Massachusetts is usually chilly!

The string at the bottom was a loop that went around her wrist so the tail didn't drag

And the bra top was one of those hula girl/luau bras made from fake greenery. I just added MORE (and lots of sea shells)

Qivarys
by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 12:47 AM

I made this for a friend's son. I'm in the middle of making my own kids' costumes.

This cost me a total of $2.97!! And was my first costume ever made!

I made it out of left over fabric I had lying around. The yellow fabric and the batting came from a baby playmat that was missing pieces to it, the backing from an old hospital blanket I had taken from work years ago, the black for the face from an old pair of fleece pj pants hubby broke the tie to, the red from the cheap tree skirt that we used at work during the holidays. The tail was also from the playmat. It's bendable thanks to a metal coat hanger, but safe with the styrofoam tube left over from the playmat. It is held on with velcro so that if they have to drive anywhere the tale can be removed.

The kickety-kick ball was an after thought from the family I made this for. I ran to the 99 cent store bought a plastic jack-o-lantern and a navy blue shirt came home and hot glued the fabric onto the jack-o-lantern.

MidwestMom-2-3
by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Alien Abduction

Pattibear
by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Up here in Wisconsin it can be pretty cool by Halloween so I made our two little guys these hats to pair up with some warm sweats so they can trick or treat warm and comfy 

Pattibears Place  downtown Montellohappy

handcrafted gifts and home decor http://www.pattibears.com/  http://pattibear.etsy.com/  http://greatamericanmoosehunt.com/

momsoccer
by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM

This is so CUTE!!   I wish I could sew.   GREAT JOB!!

Quoting Qivarys:

I made this for a friend's son. I'm in the middle of making my own kids' costumes.

This cost me a total of $2.97!! And was my first costume ever made!

I made it out of left over fabric I had lying around. The yellow fabric and the batting came from a baby playmat that was missing pieces to it, the backing from an old hospital blanket I had taken from work years ago, the black for the face from an old pair of fleece pj pants hubby broke the tie to, the red from the cheap tree skirt that we used at work during the holidays. The tail was also from the playmat. It's bendable thanks to a metal coat hanger, but safe with the styrofoam tube left over from the playmat. It is held on with velcro so that if they have to drive anywhere the tale can be removed.

The kickety-kick ball was an after thought from the family I made this for. I ran to the 99 cent store bought a plastic jack-o-lantern and a navy blue shirt came home and hot glued the fabric onto the jack-o-lantern.

justgrape723
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I finished my sons transformer costume here it is.......

with actual working headlights !!

I made it out of lots of boxes and lots of spray paint

He said he wanted to be a transformer. I thought that if he wanted to be a transformer then he should transform......There are rectangle reflectors in the back for the tail lights.

gypsyrose14
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I love the costume your son is a lucky little boy I'm sure that was a lot of work Great mom!

you rockRose

justgrape723
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 6:09 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN