Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handmade halloween costume ideas (2009)

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wanted to get the ball rollong on this years post for all of your great handmade costume ideas, links, and photos, please post them here :)

witch

by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 6:39 AM
Replies (51-60):
chrisnjoesmom
by on Oct. 11, 2009 at 9:50 AM

My kids are going to be the Mario Bros, my MIL is making the overalls with big yellow buttons.  I bought them red and green shirts and now I just need to get the hats and gloves and some brown face paint for the moustaches.  I love the Wubzzy costume.  And the baby hats are adorable.  I wish I could knit and sew.

auntietotty
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM

My 5 yr old granddaughter wanted to be an "Ice Fairy Princess". I made her a big fluffy tutu out of white, sparkly aqua blue and a darker blue tulle. I added light blue lace streamers to it, little maribou fur (in white) "snowballs" on the ends...I found sparkly snowflakes at Michaels and sewed those to the skirt. I already had some blue fairy wings so I hot glued the white maribou trim around the edges of those.  They look very 'wintery'! I havent done anything for the top yet...and still need to make her a crown. I'll post pics when its done.

keargo806
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM

my 2 year old gave me an idea this morn. she came out with her sisters tights on her head. she looked like a bunny. so i was thinking of painting her face and a belly on a sweatsuit make felt feet to drape over her shoes, some old mittens, a cotton tail, with a patch on her arm (or leg) and that would make the cutest homemade stuffed bunny.

AuntyL
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM

TAH DAH !! This is from a 10yr old Simplicity pattern I bought when my oldest g.daughter was 3. This one is the last Im making....it's for my last g. daughter who's 3. I bought the wand at the couty fair. I shipped it yesterday, so I don't know if she likes it or not.

AuntyL

LaJoanna
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 7:38 PM

love it!

Quoting mary312:

Last year my grandsons were too little to walk so we fixed up a wagon and incorporated an "animal" theme 

loverbugsmommy
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 10:16 PM

i hope you dont mind i think im going to try to copy this idea for my 2.5 year old. i think he'll love it!!!!

Quoting justgrape723:

Halloween 2008 Eric was 5 y.o. costume this year ....Mr Potato head. I can't read sewing patterns so I had to just wing it and prayed that it all came together....it did with some help from my glue gun

I used poster board (2 pieces) for the hat. And black tulle for the cut out face piece.As you look at the pics you will see that I also made it so the face could be changed just like the real toy. The extra pieces are stored in a butt compartment again just like the real toy...I am OCD...lol

I had found the potato skin fabric in the $1.00 a yard bin I bought 8 yards just in case. For stuffing I used left over quilt batting, pillow stuffing and fabric scraps. I bought some felt squares for .20 cents a piece. less than $2.00 worth

I used velcro to keep face pieces in place and so that they could be changed easily

In NY we need to keep the weather in mind when it comes to costumes it has been known to snow on halloween night.

I made him a potato sack for his candy collecting. Made that out of burlap. I think the costume total was around $15.00 out of pocket

I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT I AM A BREASTFEEDING, BABY-WEARING, EXTENDED REAR FACING, CLOTH DIAPERING,  CO-SLEEPING, HARNESS USING, LOVING, CARING MOMMY 

kcovert5
by on Oct. 22, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Quoting danssugarbabe:

Shaleigh was a pumpkin her first year 06 (no I didn't make the costume I'm not a sewer.)

For her 2nd 07 one she was a fairy princess (the tutu was bought by my brother and sister-in-law in Dallas.)

Last year 08 she was a lady bug (when I first saw the costume I thought was a great idea for an ice skater....I didn't realize it was a lady bug until they pulled it down).

This year she will be a honey bee....the costume has a black tutu type skirt, a yellow and black stripped shirt, wings, black and yellow stripped leggings, and atennas.  I think she will be adorable.

My oldest daughter's name is Shaleigh..spelled the same way too!  Haha..small world!

Coltons_Mommie
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I am making my 4 year old Son's Fireman Costume this year. I am going to use Black pants and shirt (oversized) and add some yellow duct tape them. Also, I have his snow boots I plan on putting some yellow stripes on them too. I am going to try to find some patches to sew on the "jacket", then I am going to use yellow foam letters and spell out "Fire Chief" on the back of the jacket.   He has a fire hat he got from fire safety day at school and an ax.

I am trying to figure out some way to make a " Fire Extinguisher"  Candy Pail for him....Any Ideas???? Thanks....

Momforhealth
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Oh wow!  My children and I completely enjoyed this entire thread.  We we were all ooowwin and Auughin.  EVERYTHING was so cute!!  We have ideas now. :)

Momforhealth
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Quoting Coltons_Mommie:

I am making my 4 year old Son's Fireman Costume this year. I am going to use Black pants and shirt (oversized) and add some yellow duct tape them. Also, I have his snow boots I plan on putting some yellow stripes on them too. I am going to try to find some patches to sew on the "jacket", then I am going to use yellow foam letters and spell out "Fire Chief" on the back of the jacket.   He has a fire hat he got from fire safety day at school and an ax.

I am trying to figure out some way to make a " Fire Extinguisher"  Candy Pail for him....Any Ideas???? Thanks....

I went to Goodwill one time and found a Yellow raincoat, black little rainboots, and a plastic firemans hat. I think I spent a total of $2.    Then I went to the firedepartmet and they gave my son stickers that looked like their patches.  then I smudged black make up on his face. I think he carried a fake little axe..  It was cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)