Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas for christmas? Please help!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 1107 Total Views

I am a single mom and right now I dont work because my dad told me to take the year off since I dont have a way to get to work.  I have no money but I still want to do something special for my family and friends.  What would be some good ideas for christmas gifts.  I know my dad and mom will help me purchase items as long as they are not expensive.  Do you have any cheap cute ideas?  I would appreciate anything and if you dont know could you please bump.  I appreciate everything.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:30 PM

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Not one single person? Really? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:21 PM

You can make scrapbooks, or calendars with family photos.

Homemade cookies and candies.

No sew blankets are pretty cheap when you can find the material on sale or clearance,

Umm...that's all I can think  of at the moment....I will be back with more.

wedding web site

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Anyone else out there? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:12 PM

felt ornaments are a hit with my family. you can cut and glue into anything you want, felt is cheap and you can use any glue. i also make picture frames and just paint them and add stickers and saying. no expensive at all. good luck.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM

This year to save money I think we are doing those gifts in a jar, where you put ingredients of stuff in jars.  You can get the recipes or what to put in them on line.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM

1. Sock dolls- you can find hundreds on patterns online. A package with 10 pairs of socks will make 5 dolls.

2. Afgans, Scarves, Hats, House shoes/slippers or Gloves- yarn and crochet needles are inexpensive

3. This year i'm taking my kids old clothes they've out grown and making lap quilts for my mama and MIL. There are tons of quilt block patterns online and fleece backing and thread can be purchased on clearence.

4. For our grandmothers Im taking scraps of various fabrics and making purses for them. So there's another idea.

5. Make stockings out of fleece or muslin (again you can find many patterns online) and have your child decorate it. Tea dye it to give it an aged or vintage look.

6. Cinnamon spiced salt dough ornaments are cheap and easy and once again there are many recipes online. My oldest 2 made these last year.

7. Pick 2 or 3 of your favorite cookie or candy recipes and buy the supplies in bulk and give those as gifts in bags made out of scraps of fabric. My husband's grandmother LOVES it when I do this for them!

8. Gather your family's traditional recipes and attach them to 6x6 cardstock and embellish with cooking and food stickers, ribbons and buttons. JoAnn's usually has 6x6 brag books for 2.99 online and page refills for a dollar or so.

I know I've got some more ideas but it's been a long day. I'll give you more as I think of them but I HTH anyway!

armybackpackslidetwin girlsbaby boy
Proud Wife of my SPC!
Proud Mama of 3 wild, crazy boys
and Twincesses!
If you dont like my grits... stay outta my kitchen!!

by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

The ideas so far are great.  I am going to be doing homemade spa treatments for the ladies in my family.  There is a sugar scrub and spritz, etc.  I am getting the containers/holders at the $1 and then most of the stuff in the ingredients is in my home.  I will have to buy the essential oils but that's all.

Good luck - let us know what you end up doing!

by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM

As a mom I buy the clear glass ornaments and go to walmart and print mini family pics to put inside then you can fill it with what ever. I used a whole punch to make paper snow flakes to put in with the pic. Then I put the year on the outside!!!

by Group Owner on Aug. 30, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Here are some links to some great handmade gift ideas posted in the group last year:

There are tons of ideas posted in this group all the time, this is one great group of crafty mommas!  Keep checking in as it gets closer to the Holidays and I am sure we will all be fired up with more great ideas!

Best wishes and happy crafting :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)