• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some JP schools closing for good

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:45 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 314 Total Views

http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl082409cbjpschool.112e7d3d6.html

I'm so sending my kids to private school  next year... this is bs

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jls1108
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM

wish I could do the same but my son is specail needs and they won't take him. Went to the SB meeting last night and was not happy about this since my daughter already had to change schools once because of the dandridge act. So if this passes she will have been in 3 elementary schools before she finishes because she goes to Riviere which is one of the ones to close. They want $200 mill for new schools but did anyone read the paper today about the $175,000 that is missing?

mom4nell
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 9:22 AM

We were lucky with JP schools in the early years (Matas from age 3 to 5th grade).  Then the nightmare of Harris, breaking her leg in PE.  Homeschooled for 3 years until Katrina then back to JP and East Jefferson High.  Could only take that nighrtmare from Oct to Dec (inclusion with her peers meant eating lunch alone with a male teacher because they thought she couldn't handle a lunch tray because of CP?!!!!!) when we enrolled DD in St Michael.  Not the greatest school, but she's a cheerleader (everyone who tries out gets on the squad), in the Christmas Play, is on Student Council.  Don't know what your son's special needs are,  but if they're intellectual you may want to look into St Michaels.

As far as closing the schools, they're looking to put Bridgedale on Matas' campus.  Bright move, you'll have Matas, Bridgedale, Harris and Kehoe-France within 3 blocks, not to mention the parochial schools along Camphor and St Mary Magdalen.  The traffic is bad enough now wiithout adding to our neighborhood.  Oh, well if it's one thing I learned a long time ago is that the school  board politicians are almost deaf to the ordinary parent, prefering to listen to their buddy principals, the teachers and major contributors.  So, don't even  bother speaking up unless  you want an exercise in futility.

jls1108
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I went to the school board meeting last week  so I knew about the consolidations. My problem is I live in Riviere's district which I love for my daughter. Hate it for my son but they are telling me bc I live in Riviere district I can't send my son to Madas which is where I would like to send him after what happened last year with him. I would love some info on St. Michael's if you don't mind sharing it. I heard it is a great school but very costly. Thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)