Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 Week-Old with Deep H on top of head

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 9:14 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 361 Total Views

Just found this resource today... New to the world of Hemangiomas. We noticed a small soft-ish bump on the top of our daughter's head near her soft spot when she was about 6 weeks old. It was blue-ish in color and slightly raised. I thought it was part of her soft spot at first, but by her 8-week appt it had gotten a little bigger and I was concerned. Our Ped confirmed that it is a Deep Hemangioma. She said that it would get bigger before getting smaller but that it was in a good spot as it is behind her hairline and should be easliy covered by her hair. She assured us that it isn't a serious medical condition and we shouldn't be worried about it as usually when the H is going to get really big it has already grown a lot more than hers has. In the last 2 weeks, it has grown from the size of a pea to the size of a lima bean (keeping it in the bean family ). I'm a little curious/concerned about just how large we should expect this to grow. Anyone had a similar Hemangioma around 10 weeks? Trying not to stress over this...

CHEL butterfly& LU  :)

by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Kika57
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I know this post is old but I just found it and wanted to share my story with you:

I haven't been on here in awhile but my daughter had a cavernous hemangioma on her shoulder from the age of 2 months until 2 years. She had an MRI to assess it because they weren't sure that it wasn't an AVM. They still couldn't tell after the MRI because it was so involved but we went ahead and had the surgery because they did determine that it was not going to shrink on its own. It grew to about the size of a golf ball by the time she turned 2. She is 3 1/2 now and all she has is a scar about an inch and a half long. The surgery took less than 45 minutes total, recovery was short and I am so glad we did it.   Her surgeon said that 2 is a perfect age to have the surgery (if you choose to do so) because they're not teeny tiny anymore but are still young enough to be resilient and not remember much.  My daughter remembers that she went to the hospital to take a nap and they put a plastic thing on her face that smelled like bubble gum.  That's it. 

Mum2Lu
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:23 AM

thanks for your story! lucy is almost 13 months now and the hemangioma hasn't grown at all since she was about 3 months...its the size of a large lima bean and totally hidden under her hair. We plan to wait and see if it goes away on its own before putting her through the risks of surgery, especialy since it seems to be a totally cosmetic thing. Her doc checks it regularly and isn't concerned about it at the moment, so neither are we! Glad it hasn't gotten too huge though; nice to have it covered and avoid all those stares and comments.

Mum2Lu
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Just wanted to post a quick update, as when I was first researching hemangiomas, it was frustrating to find stories with no updates/long-term info. Lucy is now 15 months old and her hemangioma is about the size of a dime...I haven't seen any real growth since she was around 6-8 months old. I'd post a pic but she's snoozing and I keep forgetting to take one when she's awake! When we first noticed Lu's deepH I was really concerned about how large it was going to get, as there is no real way to determine that at the beginning. I went online and found these more extreme pics and was hoping Lucy's wouldn't get that large. I found very few pics/info on more moderately sized hemangiomas, and it turns out that the smaller ones like Lucy's are MUCH more common. So, I just wanted to post this update in case there are other new scared Moms like I was, who just recieved the diagnosis that their little one has a hemangioma. They don't ALL get to be quite so large; Lucy's is hardly noticable and we've gotten so used to it we don't really pay any attention to it at all. And remember, there are many more babies out there with much more serious issues; be happy that you are looking up info on hemangiomas, and not something worse.

CHEL butterfly& LU  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)