Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another Hemangioma--UPDATE

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2009 at 5:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 1170 Total Views

My 4 yr old daughter had a hemangioma appear when she was about 2 weeks old, and it was removed when she was a year old bc it kept changin shapes and growing larger.  About 6 months ago I noticed on the back of her leg what looked like a small bug bite...well it wasnt, and now its this big red wart looking thing... the doc said that it looks like a form of a hemangioma and refered us to a dermatoligst in september...  I wanted to add pictures to get your opinions on it...

UPDATE...

so my daughters appointment got moved up and she went last Friday... the doc said that they wanted to remove it bc they wanted to biospy it and make sure that it wasnt anything serious.  She did say that it was a hemangioma.  but due to the characteristics of it she said she would feel better if we did the biospy.  So they scrapped it off my daughters leg right there in the office.  Now we just have to wait 10-14 days for results!!

UPDATE 8-5-09

I recieved a call today from the dermatologist and well she didnt have good news...the pathology came back on the hemangioma-- my daughter has what they called Atypical Spitz Nevus...It is grouped under skin cancer.  This type of Spitz Nevus is not very common and so I have to set up an appointment with a Children's Mercy Pediatric Plastic Surgeon so that they can do another surgery on the area and make sure that all of the abnormal cells are removed.  I have tried finding information on this but I havent been able to find anything that I can understand..the best I could find said this...

Both classic and atypical Spitz nevi are uncommon melanocytic lesions usually presenting in children and adolescents. The classic Spitz nevus typically is benign and has characteristic clinical and histologic features. In contrast, the atypical Spitz nevus has an unknown clinical prognosis, and its clinical and histologic traits are loosely defined. Melanoma can have similar features to both classic and atypical Spitz nevi and must be ruled out in all cases. We review the literature on classic and atypical Spitz nevi, advances in differentiating both types of nevi from melanoma, and treatment options.

So if anyone has delt with this before or has better info on it I would be really grateful for it!!

by on Jul. 2, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
RockinMommy23
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:33 AM

That looks more like a wart to me but I'm not an expert

taramd3
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 11:48 AM

we went to the derm... and its not a wart.. it was a hemangioma--and they scrapped it off while we were there and they sent it into the lab to be biopyed.. hopefully we get a clean bill back!

Quoting RockinMommy23:

That looks more like a wart to me but I'm not an expert

taramd3
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:40 PM

bump for update

taramd3
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 3:08 PM

bump for new update!

crwspringer
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM
no, but that looks a lot like something that is on my leg.... hmm... guess it is time to call the derm. thanks for sharing.
KRYSTALxoxo
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Have you found out anything new with your daughter? Thanks for sharing this. I don't know much about it, but its scarily something that could have been over looked as a wart or bug bite. That is scarey!

taramd3
by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 3:06 PM

No not yet..she has an appointment next Thursday with the Pediatric Plastic Surgeon at Childrens Mercy... Hopefully they can give me something more then what I have..but they dont seem to have alot of info on it.. they just keep telling me that for some reason the cells in that area went crazy and became abnormal and now they have to make sure that they are all removed to keep it from growing back..I will definately update after her appointment though!!

Quoting KRYSTALxoxo:

Have you found out anything new with your daughter? Thanks for sharing this. I don't know much about it, but its scarily something that could have been over looked as a wart or bug bite. That is scarey!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)