Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discipline at this age...

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:08 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 271 Total Views

Hello all the wonderful mothers out there with October 2007 babies!  I am in a pickle!  My son, Dylan, is 15 months old (of course).  My concern is that he is just a riot.  He is a very sweet boy, but he is in to everything!  How can I go about disciplining him if redirection does not work!  Telling him No is not something I like to do, but I have found myself doing it anyway....is there anything else I can do...

Some things I have trouble with are him coming up to my lap top while I am on it and pushing all the buttons, wanting every cell phone in his sight, pulling the dvds off the shelves, turning the tv on and off...etc.  I know he is just curious and exploring, but I am having trouble on ideas on how to keep him distracted and away from these things...

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
wyatts_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM

well the cell phone and laptop...stop making them look like toys in front of them. if he sees mommy spending all her time on this fun toy, than it is something to be xplored to figure out why it's so fun! i have always been of the personal belief that you should set your child up for success. move things you don't want them getting into. put them into an environment where they can do little o no harm. that will help you avoide having to tell him or "disciplining" him. there are still things kids can do that would call for discipline in that situation (like hitting or kicking) but it doesn't sound like that's the issue you're having. so i would just say set him up for success. adjust to his needs, not the other way around.

SparklingHope
by Member on Jan. 31, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I can't go on the computer when my son is awake. lol. He get's jealous so he starts to bang on everything and go in front of me like c'mon mommy lets go play. hehe. So I wait till naptime or bedtime to go on.

Revelation 22:13 "I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last"

TwinmomAlicia
by Member on Jan. 31, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I have the same problem with my girls and the tv. We don't watch during the day but they have learned to turn it off and on.I figure its not that big of a deal, and I pick my battles. No sense fighting with them over everything! As for the dvds, I have wedged them into the shelf so tight that they can't pull them off! Once they try it and can't they generally leave them alone. You just have to remember to always put them back right away if you take one out! Otherwise I have everything toddler -proofed so I don't have to say no all the time. I learned in daycare to set up the environment to minimize "no's." And if they are doing something they shouldn't, you can say "drop it!" "spit it out!" or "walk away!" instead of "don't touch!" "don't eat that!" or "don't play with that!"

JessalynnJade
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I have to slap Rylie's hands with these things.  She learns after a few times and says "no no no" and points at them. 

MoNkEySMoMmY18
by Member on Feb. 9, 2009 at 1:42 AM

i have never been one to believe that hitting your children in any way is right.  Even a small slap...don't get me wrong, I have tried it, but I have felt guilty about it.  Just not sure what to do.  I have tried everything!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)