Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Synergist Shots

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2007 at 7:04 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 1904 Total Views
Ok my baby boy was born at 33 weeks and weighed 4.8. I am not putting him in daycare as of yet because I'm nervous about the whole RSV thing ...I also have a 21 month old who is not in daycare as well. Are these shots required if my son isn't going to be around other kids (I mean other than his brother)??
by on Oct. 8, 2007 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manders018
by on Oct. 8, 2007 at 7:06 PM
I would say yes to getting the shot for your littlest one. I understand he won't be around children but adults can be carriers of RSV and it only manifests itself as a cough in adults but your preemie can still get it. I would say its better safe than sorry when it comes to that.
ILovemyBoys23
by Member on Oct. 8, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Quoting manders018:

I would say yes to getting the shot for your littlest one. I understand he won't be around children but adults can be carriers of RSV and it only manifests itself as a cough in adults but your preemie can still get it. I would say its better safe than sorry when it comes to that.

I had to put my son on medi-cal since our military insurance expired and insurance through my husbands job is too expensive, so I'm hoping that medi-cal covers it because I heard those shots are expensive
blueyegirl74
by Member on Oct. 8, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Unfort these shots are recommended until 12mos of age. regardless of daycare, they can be exposed just goin to the grocery store. germs on carts, kids at the park, etc. it is a safe precaution. I know i was freaked out about RSV cuz it is sooo rigourously stressed among preemies and the possible devastation if they were to get it.

manders018
by on Oct. 8, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Quoting ILovemyBoys23:

Quoting manders018:

I had to put my son on medi-cal since our military insurance expired and insurance through my husbands job is too expensive, so I'm hoping that medi-cal covers it because I heard those shots are expensive
They are VERY expensive but the doctor also has  a qualifying list that s/he has to go through before it would even go through to the medi-cal. If your son qualifies on that then they SHOULD be covered. Heck Harry's are completely covered on medicaid

cherielt
by on Oct. 8, 2007 at 7:20 PM
I was told to have my son have these shots for three years.  We did one and we are starting another year next month.  He is not in daycare, as I am a SAHM but like everyone else has said, they can be exposed anywhere. 
amydiane17
by Member on Oct. 8, 2007 at 7:25 PM
   I was also very strongly encouraged to get the shots for my son, even though he isn't in daycare and doesn't have any siblings.  The only other kids he sees are his cousins who aren't in daycare or school either.  He goes next week for the first shot....they haven't told us exactly how much our copay is but apparently it's being done through our prescription plan instead of our regular insurance because it is considered medication.  I don't know if that makes a difference for medi-cal, but FYI just in case.

Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker

ILovemyBoys23
by Member on Oct. 8, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Quoting manders018:

Quoting ILovemyBoys23:

Quoting manders018:

They are VERY expensive but the doctor also has  a qualifying list that s/he has to go through before it would even go through to the medi-cal. If your son qualifies on that then they SHOULD be covered. Heck Harry's are completely covered on medicaid

Well thats what his pediatrician told me ..she said he has to qualify to get the shots ..so I'm like well what if he doesn't for whatever reason?? Like do ALL premature babies get these shots or NEED to get these shots??
amydiane17
by Member on Oct. 8, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Quoting ILovemyBoys23:

Well thats what his pediatrician told me ..she said he has to qualify to get the shots ..so I'm like well what if he doesn't for whatever reason?? Like do ALL premature babies get these shots or NEED to get these shots??

Our pediatrician doesn't do the shots, so we had to go to a pulmonologist and at the first visit he asked us a bunch of questions to see if our son qualified. He wanted to know what gestation Daniel was born at, birth weight, if he was going to be in daycare, if he had any siblings, if anyone in the house smoked, if he was ever intubated and for how long, if we have pets (how many and what kind), and probably a couple other things that I can't remember now. The doctor said that he pretty much qualified on his gestational age alone (25 weeks) and that sometimes they have trouble getting insurance to approve babies who were born around 34-36 weeks if they had no other criteria.

Basically the vaccine cuts a baby's chance of getting RSV in half, so you'd still want to follow precautions like keeping the baby out of crowded places. It is quite contagious and can put a baby in the hospital with a bad lung infection, even though it only gives older children and adults a cold. There's a website with more detailed info at http://www.aboutrsv.com/. HTH!

ILovemyBoys23
by Member on Oct. 8, 2007 at 9:40 PM
This is so nerve wrecking. I have noticed that my son has had congestion in his chest for a couple of weeks and a runny nose but I took him to the doctor and she said to just keep an eye out. I am going to get these shots for him and if I have to fight in order to get him these shots, then I will!
MomofFour232629
by Member on Oct. 8, 2007 at 9:48 PM
I am so happy to hear other moms talking about this shot! My twins got their first dose last Friday. I was alittle weary about it till I actually went to the appt. The doctor expressed how it important it was for my twins to get this shot every month during the fall and winter months. RSV is very contagious and really dangerous for preemies or any child that was on oxygen for any amount of time. She made me feel really comfortable about it. So we go back in 4 weeks for another dose. Anything to protect my little ones....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN