Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

preemie sleeping too much???g

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 1999 Total Views

hey guys,

my daughter is 3 1/2 months old now (2 months adjusted age) and she is still sleeping all the time.  she wakes up for a couple of feedings (and i just give her the bottle for the rest) and then usually she will be awake for about 3 hrs.  however somedays, she just sleeps the whole day.  she seems so exhausted.  is this normal for her age.  we try and wake her up, but she just wants to sleep.  thanks for your help.

by on Nov. 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NChiampi
by Member on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

My LO sleeps alot too she is a 33 weeker, she's 9 weeks old but an adjusted age of 3 weeks..... I would think as long as she's eating, peeing and pooping ok she's prob. just sleepy. I believe the old saying  babies grow when they sleep, because all of mine love to sleep :)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Johnsonfamil670
by Member on Nov. 15, 2010 at 12:35 AM

My daughter did this. She is a 32 weeker. When we first brought her home, I remember her NICU team telling me feed her every two to three hours well, the first night she was home, feed her and then woke the next morning freaking out bc she slept through the night. I say she is fine. As long as she is eating, pooping and wets diapers she is good:)

Stefanie83
by Member on Nov. 15, 2010 at 12:45 PM

i really don't know but here is a bump :)

my son is 4.5 months adjusted now but i remember when he was about 2 months adjusted he would sleep a lot still.  now he still naps like 4-5 times a day but short naps.  he was a 33 weeker

kristina0121
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was also the same. He was 6 weeks early and slept like that until he was about 4 months actual. I think it's really common for preemies, but it's actually a good thing. The more the baby is awake, the more energy he/she uses. That takes away from the weight gain. So see it in a positive light. It's completely normal!

EvanandOlivia
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM
My 32 seeker did the same thing. I think it's pretty typical for them. As long as they are eating when awake then it should be ok. I remember when my son was sleeping a lot the mother of a friend of mine said to me "Thats not normal". I just kept reminding myself that I'm the nurse and she sold jewelry for a living, so what does she know. People can be so rude! It would've been one thing if she had ANY medical/healthcare background.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Mine did that too. As long as they are eating enough they can sleep as much as they want. I'm sure it won't be long before you see her staying awake more.

MMerrill
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM

My 28 weeker who is 3 months actual - 2 weeks adjusted sleeps all the time but he wakes about every 3-5 hours for feedings.  As long as they are eating and having no problems doing that then it's ok :)

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN