Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to being a preemie mom- Very sad update :(

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM
  • 33 Replies
  • 862 Total Views

Hey everyone! I am so glad a group like this exists. I had my son Luke on the 29th at 29 weeks. I am really hopeful for him and the doctors say he is doing well but I have no idea even what to expect when it comes to having a preemie baby.

Update 5/29 We lost Luke today. He developed NEC and after 24 hours of treatment and surgery his body just could not take all the stress anymore. The doctors did all they could to try to keep him alive. My heart is completely broken but I am grateful for every moment I got to have with him while he was here with us.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lizj4
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM
It's a long road. It's got a lot of ups and downs. Seeing your baby having so many tests done is hard to watch but just remember its for the best interest of your baby. Ask a ton of questions and don't be afraid to call as many times as you want. Even if you can't hold baby, which I assume at this point you can't, talk to him and hold his hand or foot as much as possible. My son thrived on this. As to be involved as much as possible. Most of all take one day at a time. Keeping track of how long or how much longer to go makes the time go slowly. Enjoy your visits and take lots of pictures. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Welcome! I had my son luke at 32 weeks. They look worse than they are and are stronger than you think! Agree ask a lot of questions and let go of when he will come home...they come home when they are ready. Kangaroo care as soon as they let you, talk softly, sing, let him know you are there. Trust the nurses are taking really good care of him when you can't be there so don't feel you need to be there 24/7. He needs you strong so take care of yourself now too. This is your time to heal. You will take a few steps forward then backward but that is ok and normal. Are you planning on breast feeding? Pumping? Bring clothes and blanket from home. Sleep with one so he can smell you when you are not there. There are a few good books if you are interested.....how is he doing so far?
Mommy2ZOEBETH
by New Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Hello and thank you for all this great advice! I am pumping and freezing the milk now. They are not feeding him yet because he is showing the initial signs of developing NEC. The doctors say he is doing really well considering the stress he was under and his age when they delivered him.

Quoting zannahdeux:

Welcome! I had my son luke at 32 weeks. They look worse than they are and are stronger than you think! Agree ask a lot of questions and let go of when he will come home...they come home when they are ready. Kangaroo care as soon as they let you, talk softly, sing, let him know you are there. Trust the nurses are taking really good care of him when you can't be there so don't feel you need to be there 24/7. He needs you strong so take care of yourself now too. This is your time to heal. You will take a few steps forward then backward but that is ok and normal. Are you planning on breast feeding? Pumping? Bring clothes and blanket from home. Sleep with one so he can smell you when you are not there. There are a few good books if you are interested.....how is he doing so far?

zannahdeux
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Oh good! It is important that he get that first milk when they do start to feed him! It will really help! Keep us uptodate
BostonMomma08
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's name is Lucas as well, and he was born at 29 weeks! He was 1 lb. 14 oz. at birth and in the NICU for exactly 3 months. He's now a crazy, happy, healthy almost 4 year old!

Sweet_Britt
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Awwww! : ) 

I had my son at 28 weeks (2 hours earlier, he would have been 27 weeks). He was in the NICU 3 months and on O2 for 10 months. He's now 21 months (in 2 days) and is a totally normal, happy and healthy. He's talking, walking, running, and the sweetest little ham ever. 

Good luck and keep pumping/freezing that milk! 

cassiemomof4
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM

my earliest baby was born at 33 weeks and we has a great short stay of only 15 days but on March 26th we welcomed my neice Paige into the world at only 26 weeks 2 days she weighed 2lbs and was 14 inch long she is 6 weeks old and is doing amazing she started nursing from her mother about a week ago and is doing very well they have turned her oxygen down to level 1 and she will be in a open crib probably within a week she is currently weighing in at 3lbs 5oz and is doing amazing those little ones are fighters. good luck

cassiemomof4
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM

i just noticed you had luke at 29 weeks on the 29th day of the month and my neice Paige was born at 26 weeks on the 26th day of the month, just thought that was intresting.

dahliapetal
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Welcome!

Mommy2ZOEBETH
by New Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:12 PM

A little update on Luke. They are finally feeding him my milk throughthe feeding Tube. He looks so much better and they say he is doing so much btter in just under 2 weeks.

Here is him at 3 days old

and here he is at 11 days old

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)