Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am looking for advise from moms who have been there....

Posted by   + Show Post

Please help me out!

I am in a new non-profit organization knows as the Destiny Project Inc. We are located in a small rural town that does not have a NICU. The closest one is an hour and a half away. Our dream if for our county to one day have a NICU or at the very least a NICU stabilizer. But for the moment (starting small) we are going to be helping moms get to the NICU hospital by providing transportation or gas cards. Lodging (if needed) and some money for food and necessities while away. We also want to help moms after baby leaves the hospital.

We are starting to build up a stock of preemie clothes and a question came up if we were only needing clothes. I have no idea!! I have 3 children, all who were born full-term and I have no preemie experience. The only preemie things I know about are clothes and a special car seat.

My questions:

Besides clothes and the special car seat, what is needed to care for a preemie?

How often were you visiting your child in the NICU?

What necessities did YOU need while going through those rough days/months?

Were you required to stay at the hospital you delivered for any amount of time other than delivery? (bed rest at hospital; required stay due to other reasons?) If so, how long was the stay?

If you had to travel to get to your child: did you get to go as often as you wanted? If not, what prevented you from being able to? (gas, bills, work, etc...)

Is there anything you can add that I have not thought of?

I am so thankful for any help we can get from you! Thank you!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:51 AM
Replies (11-15):
quietsmilie
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I was on bedrest at the hospital for almost 4 weeks - reading material and visits were great!  As for when my little guy was there, gas and food cards were appreciated - it adds up.  The main reason I didn't visit more was work - although they did work with me so I saw him quite a bit.  Other preemie items we used:

- preemie diapers

-breast pump

-nipple shields

-SNS (supplementary nursing system)

-home oxygen therapy

-hospital supplied breathing and heart monitor

-smaller nipples for the bottle

-pure aloe vera gel (for under the sticky patches for the monitor and the tape for the oxygen)

-Aquaphor ointment (for sensitive/dry preemie skin)

-hand sanitizer

-supplies to sterilize bottles and pump parts (the Medela microwave bags and Ameda microwave case were SO convenient)

-preemie formula

-HMF (human milk fortifier)

shelbz92
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM
When my son was born I went and seen him every day but he was a hour an half away.it was hard for us ausr it took a lot of gas but we had my parents helping out for gas .For me I had a Brest pump at home but I had to freeze mine so I could bring it so a small ice chest or something for them to put there BM for on there way to the hospital. Also if they don't have a pediatrician helping them find one if there having trouble doing so would be good I know it was stressful for me cause I had to find one that took my medicad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysons_r_mylife
by New Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Hello, 

I had my son Angel in the NICU for 7 weeks. The hospital is 45 minutes away and I visited him twice a day. He's my 3rd boy and my 2 others are 3 yrs old and 5. It was extremely difficult for me to find a sitter and have time to spend with Angel in the NICU. 

Here some of the things that I appreciated to have available in the NICU.

• bottles for breastmilk storage and labels (as many as needed) 
  • a breastmilk pump was available and a pumping room for privacy
  • heart shaped cloths that I would take with me so it could get my scent and then placed in the baby's isolete
  • A Carbed instead of a carseat (Angel did not pass the "carseat test" and was able to go home in a carbed instead

I wish I would have had an organization that would have helped with gas expenses. We had a rough time with gas expenses.

Hope I helped a little, 

feel free to contact me with any questions,

cristy

alericksmommy
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM
my son was in nicu for 9 1/2 weeks he needed a 4lb and up carseat he needs a moniter preemi clothes preemi flow nipples for bottles some need specialized formula mine does and that is very expensive alot depends on the childs situation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama232011
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

im living at the hospital with my son i visit as often as possible... i have a 18 month old dd so its been very hard to keep her happy...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)